Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
Thread started 14 Sep 2015 (Monday) 01:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Easiest way to sync two HDDs with differences.

JM ­ Photos
"Childhood ruined"
3,374 posts
Gallery: 65 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 14, 2015 01:04 |  #1

I have two HDDs that I store my photos on but only find myself saving to one of them at a time and then later trying to find the new content to move over to the second one. I also sometimes find myself bored and edit old photos from the one HDD and save it to that HDD. In that case, the one HDD has the original and edited copies while the second HDD only has the original files. Is there an easy way to plug both HDDs in and have the second one sync to the first one with any differences?

Canon 6D, & Sony α6000
Own: 24-105mm f/4L | Tamron 150-600mm f/5-6.3 | Rokinon 14mm f/1.8
Want: 24-70mm f/2.8 L II | 70-200mm f/2.8 L II

sponsored links
losangelino
964 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jul 2012

Sep 14, 2015 01:08 |  #2

Windows or Mac?
For Mac I use Carbon Copy Cloner

Flickr (external link)
IG: @lensesandwheels (external link)cars | @photomagicology (external link) portraits

JM ­ Photos
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Childhood ruined"
3,374 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 14, 2015 01:22 as a reply to  @ losangelino's post |  #3

Mac. Free program? Safe?

Canon 6D, & Sony α6000

losangelino
964 posts
Gallery: 70 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Jul 2012

Sep 14, 2015 01:34 as a reply to  @ JM Photos's post |  #4

It's free for 30days. I've been using the paid version for years. Works great. But it is easy to do some google searches to find the top options if you want to see your options.

Flickr (external link)
IG: @lensesandwheels (external link)cars | @photomagicology (external link) portraits

JM ­ Photos
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Childhood ruined"
3,374 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 14, 2015 01:43 |  #5

losangelino wrote in post #17706661 (external link)
It's free for 30days. I've been using the paid version for years. Works great. But it is easy to do some google searches to find the top options if you want to see your options.

Will give it a go. Thank you!

Canon 6D, & Sony α6000

JM ­ Photos
THREAD ­ STARTER
"Childhood ruined"
3,374 posts
Joined Sep 2010

Sep 14, 2015 02:10 |  #6

Worked flawlessly! Thank you!

Canon 6D, & Sony α6000

InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Gallery: 265 photos
Joined Dec 2013
Post edited over 4 years ago by InfiniteDivide.

Sep 14, 2015 22:52 |  #7

I organize my photos in folders starting with the date. This is the simplest.

But say you go back later are process something or change it.

Just go to "detailed listed view" and add 'sort by date modified" to find the recently edited files.

Hope that helps after your 30 days are up.

James Patrus
6D | 16-35L F4 | 24L II | 50L | 100L | |  -> Website (external link) & Gallery (external link)
For Sale:Canon 16-35mm f4 IS l Do you enjoy Super Famicom games? (external link) PM me directly.

tim
Light Bringer
50,998 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Sep 15, 2015 01:14 |  #8

This workflow sounds like a recipe for disaster. Save your images to one drive, put the other in an external enclosure and keep it backed up offsite.

Mirrors are not backup, corrupt the main or delete something by mistake before you realise you've lost your backups. Use a proper backup program. Windows backup software reviews for photographers (external link).

Also, RAID is not a backup.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

kram
obvious its pointless
2,611 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 17, 2015 03:27 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #9

I use a program called syncback on windows. Since I use a mac machine, its installed on VMWare Windows - almost the only reason I have windows loaded :)

Canon 7D , Canon 6D, 100-400 L, 24-105 F4 L, 50 F1.4, Tokina 12-24 F4, Kenko Teleplus Pro DG 1.4X Extender
My Gallery (external link)

DGStinner
Goldmember
1,042 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Nov 17, 2015 05:32 |  #10

I use the rsync command in Terminal to sync two hard drives. It's free and already part of OS X. You can even setup Automator to run the rsync command daily, weekly, monthly, etc.
http://www.practically​efficient.com …011/03/18/rsync​-automator (external link)

kram
obvious its pointless
2,611 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Nov 18, 2015 02:11 |  #11

I went through the link and it seems to cover the scenario of creating a backup of a disk on an external disk.

The issue that I have with this would be if changes could be made in either the source or the destination and you want to have the latest copy. And apart from modify date, I could also end up with incremental files in either disk.

Canon 7D , Canon 6D, 100-400 L, 24-105 F4 L, 50 F1.4, Tokina 12-24 F4, Kenko Teleplus Pro DG 1.4X Extender
My Gallery (external link)

InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Gallery: 265 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Nov 18, 2015 04:34 |  #12

While this may be for anther topic.... But helpful.
I recently learned and used Dupeguru on Mac
Took 7 minutes to scan my external drive's 19,000 photos.

I keep very organized care of my .CR2 raw files, but I had over 200 duplicates by titling two folders with the wrong month, inside larger folder set.
Ex: In my 2014 folder, I had Novemeber 6th 2014 and October 6th 2014
Exact same set of photos because November 6th set should not exist.

While this is not relevant to an automatic copy.
It could be extremely useful if you worry about over-copying data from one drive to another, or you tend to just copy and paste folders and files to an external drive haphazardly like my father tends to.
"Better to back it up than not". ....good luck finding a thing though dad. ;)

Hope that helps someone.

James Patrus
6D | 16-35L F4 | 24L II | 50L | 100L | |  -> Website (external link) & Gallery (external link)
For Sale:Canon 16-35mm f4 IS l Do you enjoy Super Famicom games? (external link) PM me directly.

Xyclopx
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2008

Dec 16, 2015 20:04 |  #13

kram wrote in post #17786905 (external link)
I use a program called syncback on windows. Since I use a mac machine, its installed on VMWare Windows - almost the only reason I have windows loaded :)

syncback is awesome. very configurable. since my raids are large, they need to be split into multiple external drives for offsite backups, and syncback works great for it.

my only complaint is that the way it displays your single and group backup names makes it hard to see which one is which at a glance. i have to triple check before clicking the go button to make sure i'm not backing up the wrong set or to the wrong drive.

...also, OP, as others have noted: you do indeed have a recipe for disaster. do not make changes to both drives. change one, and backup to another. i think it's inevitable that the backup program will make a mistake and overwrite the wrong copy. or you make the mistake of changing the same file on both drives--which version should the program take?

Dean Chiang (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear (external link)
My Photos (external link)
Instagram @xyclopx (external link) @feetandeyes (external link) @gastramour (external link)

grayline
247 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 23, 2015 23:08 |  #14

Why not use a mirror program with a 5 TB drive? Alot cheaper just 2 drives

Gear List :EOS 70D ,Sigma 50mm 1.4,Tamron 18-270, Canon 18-55,Canon HFM31,Canon SX280HS,Olympus E-10 ,

tim
Light Bringer
50,998 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Dec 23, 2015 23:50 |  #15

I'll say it one more time. Mirrors are not a backup, RAID is not a backup. Do things properly if you want an actual backup.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sponsored links

4,301 views & 0 likes for this thread
Easiest way to sync two HDDs with differences.
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.