Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
Thread started 20 Nov 2015 (Friday) 22:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Best Way to cull images on Vacation

medd63
THREAD ­ STARTER
436 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2014

Nov 22, 2015 07:22 |  #16

Thanks for the idea - that may work.

My laptop is 4 or 5 years old. Windows 7.

My home PC is less than a year old, but also Windows 7.

6D, 7D2, T4i, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 100mm Macro f/2.8L IS, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 50mm f/1.4 IS, EF-S 55-250, 1.4 II TC, Kenko Extension Tubes, MeFoto Globetrotter & Roadtrip Tripods, Lightroom CC, Photoshop CC

sponsored links
Bcaps
I was a little buzzed when I took this
936 posts
Gallery: 86 photos
Best ofs: 16
Joined Jun 2003
Post edited over 4 years ago by Bcaps. (2 edits in all)

Nov 23, 2015 13:15 |  #17

Julieanne Kost has a video showing how to setup/use LR on your laptop on vacation and then import the photos into your main LR catalog when you get home. There are a few issues to consider other than just importing/exporting the catalog so it's worth a look.

http://blogs.adobe.com …g-lightroom-catalogs.html (external link)

- Dave | flickr (external link)
Nikon D810
14-24mm f/2.8 | 16-35mm F/4 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/4 | Sigma 150-600mm

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,371 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Nov 23, 2015 13:21 |  #18

drmaxx wrote in post #17792360 (external link)
Here's what I would do: Look at the pictures full screen (you also can zoom) and press 'delete' for all the ones you clearly don't like. After this, go to the 'Trash' and move the deleted ones into a separate folder named 'seconds' (or anything else). At home you just import everything into LR.
This is not as sophisticated as LR and you can not use the star system. However, it is really fast and easy to use. I missed what kind of Laptop you have - but on a older computer LR is just a pain to use.

I like the concept, but without risking delete, you can simply mark your keepers and move the keepers into a consolidated vacation folder instead.

Sony A7riii/A9 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

Archibald
You must be quackers!
10,343 posts
Gallery: 479 photos
Joined May 2008

Nov 23, 2015 13:52 |  #19

Here's how I do it, dunno if it is the best way.

Each camera has its own card, and just one. (Disregarding backups.)

After a day of shooting, all pics are copied to the laptop internal HD. All pics are reviewed in LR and duds are deleted.

The survivors are backed up to an external HD.

Cards are formatted (and batteries charged). So each morning I start out with fresh memory and batteries.

When I get home, in LR, I export the laptop pics and LR catalog to an external HD, probably the same one as used on the trip.

The external HD is moved to the desktop. The desktop LR is used to import the files (pic files and LR catalog, and LR previews) just made by the laptop.

I check for any stray files. The now-redundant LR files from the trip that are on the desktop are moved to a purgatory folder.

A few days or weeks later, I delete the files on the laptop.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

medd63
THREAD ­ STARTER
436 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Nov 23, 2015 19:55 |  #20

Thanks BCaps for the link. I watched the video - A little confusing but I could probably do that.

Archibald - thanks for the instructions. I don't feel comfortable only using one card (I prefer one per day), but the rest of your steps seem fine.

6D, 7D2, T4i, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 100mm Macro f/2.8L IS, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 50mm f/1.4 IS, EF-S 55-250, 1.4 II TC, Kenko Extension Tubes, MeFoto Globetrotter & Roadtrip Tripods, Lightroom CC, Photoshop CC

InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Gallery: 265 photos
Joined Dec 2013
Post edited over 4 years ago by InfiniteDivide. (2 edits in all)

Nov 26, 2015 23:50 |  #21

Archibald wrote in post #17794190 (external link)
Here's how I do it, dunno if it is the best way.

Each camera has its own card, and just one. (Disregarding backups.)

After a day of shooting, all pics are copied to the laptop internal HD. All pics are reviewed in LR and duds are deleted.

The survivors are backed up to an external HD.

Cards are formatted (and batteries charged). So each morning I start out with fresh memory and batteries.

When I get home, in LR, I export the laptop pics and LR catalog to an external HD, probably the same one as used on the trip.

The external HD is moved to the desktop. The desktop LR is used to import the files (pic files and LR catalog, and LR previews) just made by the laptop.

I check for any stray files. The now-redundant LR files from the trip that are on the desktop are moved to a purgatory folder.

A few days or weeks later, I delete the files on the laptop.

Now that is a Pro setup. Very organized and efficient. My friend has forgot to charge is battery MANY times.
We are hobbyists, but a dead battery is just as heartbreaking for anyone shooting in an afternoon.

My process is very similar.

1 Take photos shooting raw, remove SD card and copy to laptop folder on my desktop.
2 Put card back in camera ***and select NEW FOLDER*** Charge the battery.
3 Quickview photos on my Mac and cull them.
4 Import remaining to LR and process, deleting any noticed mistakes.
5 Export jpegs to 2nd folder on my desktop.
6 Copy raw files to 1st external drive.
7 Upload jpeg folder to Flickr via Mac app privately. And share on social media as desired.
8 Take laptop to work and copy same raw folder to 2nd external drive.
9 Only then, do I delete the raw and jpeg folders from my laptop.

10 If something were to go go terribly wrong during this processes. (lightening strike, ask of God, coffee spilled while processing....
The original raw files are STILL on my large SD card, safe and sound. If its close to full, then I clear it. (Just got a 128gig card)

James Patrus
6D | 16-35L F4 | 24L II | 50L | 100L | |  -> Website (external link) & Gallery (external link)
For Sale:Canon 16-35mm f4 IS l Do you enjoy Super Famicom games? (external link) PM me directly.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
10,035 posts
Joined May 2003

Nov 27, 2015 07:42 |  #22

medd63 wrote in post #17791983 (external link)
We are taking a 10 day trip to Alaska. I anticipate us each taking 500 pics per day (2 people = 1000 exposures per day) x 10 days is 10,000 images. We each have 32 GB cards for each day of the trip.

When you state "for each day of the trip" are you saying you have 20 32 GB cards?

OK - so take my Laptop and one of my USB drives on my trip. Connect the USB drive to the Laptop (that will have LightRoom running on it).

Moving a 1000 images daily one consideration might be whether you have USB 2.0 or 3.0

Thanks for your help!

medd63
THREAD ­ STARTER
436 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Nov 27, 2015 21:54 |  #23

Yes - we will probably have 10-20 cards. We got Sony 32Gb class 10 cards for about $11 each.

Good point about transfer times!

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
51,095 posts
Gallery: 184 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 4 years ago by CyberDyneSystems. (2 edits in all)

Nov 27, 2015 22:38 |  #24

Lightroom was suggested as a "fast way to preview, cull" etc. a few times in this thread.
If your not doing any editing, it is in fact about the slowest most bloated option you could chose.

Some actually fast viewers that are good for culling are;

FastRaw Viewer
Fast Picture Viewer
Fast Stone
Irfan View
Xnview
ACDsee

and of course Canons DPP

Many of the above are free or have free versions. For culling in the field I'd pick any of the above over LR.

IF, and Only IF the laptop's LR installation was also the one I intended to end up doing the editing on, then I might keep it all in one program, but likely not. Simply because I rarely use the ranking systems on my first time through culling.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

medd63
THREAD ­ STARTER
436 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Nov 27, 2015 22:42 |  #25

Will those programs let me mark what I want to process, yet keep all the photos (not delete anything)?

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
51,095 posts
Gallery: 184 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 4 years ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Nov 27, 2015 22:56 |  #26

We've run into a semantics issue, as I appear to have a different definition of cull, which involves deleting. I do not think that any of these programs ratings will be imported into another program.

However most do in indeed have fully functioning methods to flag or rate your images.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

medd63
THREAD ­ STARTER
436 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Nov 27, 2015 23:40 |  #27

Well, if I can flag what I want to process, keep the rest, and somehow have those flagged items separated when I import later into Lightroom, I should be good.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
10,343 posts
Gallery: 479 photos
Joined May 2008

Nov 27, 2015 23:54 |  #28

medd63 wrote in post #17798943 (external link)
Well, if I can flag what I want to process, keep the rest, and somehow have those flagged items separated when I import later into Lightroom, I should be good.

You can tag pics in Irfanview, but the tags are not kept. But you can use the F7 key to move a pic to a different folder. It is a very versatile move command, as you can direct the file to any of 14 different folders (by pressing 1 to 0 and b-e). That way you could segregate pic files according to your rating or whatever other criterion.

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

medd63
THREAD ­ STARTER
436 posts
Joined Feb 2014
Post edited over 4 years ago by medd63.

Nov 28, 2015 00:06 |  #29

Cool - that sounds like it could work. Thanks! I'm going to check out Irfanview.

grayline
247 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 23, 2015 23:18 |  #30

MalVeauX wrote in post #17791406 (external link)
Heya,

Dump the cards on a laptop with Lightroom, or any software that allows for fast preview. There are other softwares for this too. Looks like you'll be buying another license key, or getting other software. You basically just want a way to preview images fast. So there are a few solutions for this, but you have to see the images to know which are obvious bin-images, and which are worth looking at again later. Lightroom stores things as a catalog. But do you really need to use Lightroom just to choose what you bin and what you keep while on vacation? You need internet connection for cloud software right? I might be wrong there, just asking, as that's an important point if it does.

FastRawViewer is like $15 and works. Again no need to edit, just view tons of photos fast, and bin the ones that are obvious non-keepers.

Perfect Browser (standalone app, or plugin to CS/LR) is like $60. Used by weddings photogs to speed up culling thousands of images for example. Great for this too. Not too expensive. Doesn't need LR or anything specific. But can import to them if necessary.

If both taking photos on vacation and stuff in the thousands per day, I would definitely have a "home base" each night where you both dump your images and get fresh cards into the cameras (having multiple cards each). Then cull the images each night for obvious bad ones.

Very best,

I AGREE cull them into a file you can access later quickly Light room is pretty quick ,Microsoft image viewer is actually pretty quick.
Just. When you have your card ready after the dump don't delete all..... Format

Gear List :EOS 70D ,Sigma 50mm 1.4,Tamron 18-270, Canon 18-55,Canon HFM31,Canon SX280HS,Olympus E-10 ,

sponsored links

6,061 views & 1 like for this thread
Best Way to cull images on Vacation
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.