Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
Thread started 28 May 2015 (Thursday) 14:01
Search threadPrev/next

Models in Milk

Deadline
301 posts
Gallery: 110 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined May 2015

May 28, 2015 14:01 |  #1

Hi there,

I am looking into doing models in milk bath type of shoot, but running into unexpected issue that has to do with location...

I could always do it in the studio setting with the plastic kid pool, but that would mean I would not be able to show the bathtub, with I think adds to it...

Any thoughts on the subject?
maybe I can rent a spa room somewhere or something....

http://www.sergeygrey.​com/ (external link) - About me and ALL of my work from photography to 3D Gaphics and 3D printing that I do for a living as well as side projects such as Meetup Photography groups and Car Rigging.

Luckless
Goldmember
3,064 posts
Joined Mar 2012

May 28, 2015 19:10 |  #2

Is there any reason to limit yourself to a plastic kids pool for the project if you do it in studio? How about tracking down an old clawfoot tub, or large wooden tub (Look around online and you can even find plans to build one if you're comfortable around a workshop), and putting it in a temp setup? Plumb in a spigot and hose to the drain for safety and ease of working. But seriously, don't rely on just a plug in the drain, because odds are it will get knocked out if you don't have anything else plumbed in, and will hold perfectly when you do.

Canon EOS 7D | EF 28 f/1.8 | EF 85 f/1.8 | EF 70-200 f/4L | EF-S 17-55 | Sigma 150-500
Flickr: Real-Luckless (external link)

Deadline
THREAD ­ STARTER
301 posts
Joined May 2015

May 28, 2015 19:30 |  #3

that's sounds expensive and I don't think the studio space I rent would be all that happy with that approach, but thanks for the suggestion.

http://www.sergeygrey.​com/ (external link) - About me and ALL of my work from photography to 3D Gaphics and 3D printing that I do for a living as well as side projects such as Meetup Photography groups and Car Rigging.

tdlavigne
364 posts
Joined Mar 2015

May 29, 2015 01:41 |  #4

Rent a hotel room instead of a studio

FeXL
493 posts
Joined Dec 2007

May 29, 2015 15:12 |  #5

Just an aside but relevant to the concept. Before you plunk down a bunch of cash on the moo juice for your project it may be a good idea to do some test shots.

Had a colleague do some "milk images" years ago with his 'Blad, a whole series of still lifes. While I don't recall what he ultimately used, the fat content of the milk was important to the result he got.

Skim was way too thin under the lights, looked pale & watered down. High test, 4%, homogenized, whatever, while more opaque, had a yellow cast to it from the higher fat content. He may have settled for 2%.

B&W, no issues. Colour, might be.

$0.02

Deadline
THREAD ­ STARTER
301 posts
Joined May 2015
Post edited over 5 years ago by Deadline.

May 29, 2015 15:46 as a reply to  @ FeXL's post |  #6

Oh I don't think I would be using actual milk... it cannot be good for health and may even lead to yeast infection for the model. I have not started messing with this just yet, but its my understanding that some kind of acrylic water based paint that uses zinc oxide for the white coloring would be a way to go about recreating milk look. It costs much less than actual milk and its safe for skin. I will make sure to update this post if people are interested....

Deadline
THREAD ­ STARTER
301 posts
Joined May 2015

May 29, 2015 15:47 |  #7

tdlavigne wrote in post #17575560 (external link)
Rent a hotel room instead of a studio

That's the type of idea I was looking for!! perfect!

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
12,324 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Jun 03, 2015 23:05 |  #8

FeXL wrote in post #17576200 (external link)
Just an aside but relevant to the concept. Before you plunk down a bunch of cash on the moo juice for your project it may be a good idea to do some test shots.

Had a colleague do some "milk images" years ago with his 'Blad, a whole series of still lifes. While I don't recall what he ultimately used, the fat content of the milk was important to the result he got.

Skim was way too thin under the lights, looked pale & watered down. High test, 4%, homogenized, whatever, while more opaque, had a yellow cast to it from the higher fat content. He may have settled for 2%.

B&W, no issues. Colour, might be.

$0.02

Consider titanium oxide or at least milk powder

Buying real milk in bathtub volumes is a waste.

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

bumpintheroad
Self-inflicted bait
1,667 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Jun 04, 2015 00:19 |  #9

Deadline wrote in post #17576245 (external link)
That's the type of idea I was looking for!! perfect!

Do need pics of you checking-in with a pallet load of milk. Or paint, for that matter.

Some hotels have rooms with spa tubs. Of course you wouldn't want to run the spa and would need to rinse it out afterwards, but these are usually located in a corner of the main hotel room instead of in a small and cramped bathroom. Gives you extra space for lights and camera. Honeymoon suites and getaway hotels are pretty good bets for this.

Along the same lines you can rent a portable hot tub or spa in many places. Put it outside your house and have a party.

Don't forget the chocolate chip cookies and a big tip for housekeeping.

-- Mark | Gear | Flickr (external link) | Picasa (external link) | Youtube (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Image editing is okay

Deadline
THREAD ­ STARTER
301 posts
Joined May 2015

Jun 04, 2015 12:44 as a reply to  @ bumpintheroad's post |  #10

That last post was all in all hilarious...

OhLook
insufferably pedantic. I can live with that.
19,646 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jun 04, 2015 13:29 |  #11

If you have an outdoor location, a half wine barrel (used) from a plant nursery or a big hardware store that caters to gardeners makes a picturesque tub.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

grayline
247 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 25, 2015 14:03 as a reply to  @ DocFrankenstein's post |  #12

If you actually use white latex paint and 1 gallon mixes into alot of water and loOKs just like milk

Gear List :EOS 70D ,Sigma 50mm 1.4,Tamron 18-270, Canon 18-55,Canon HFM31,Canon SX280HS,Olympus E-10 ,

EveryMilesAMemory
Goldmember
3,868 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined May 2007

Dec 29, 2015 10:28 |  #13

I was thinking of doing a shoot of this type, but thought of using various colored water to add to the look, or just Gel the strobes.

My idea was to buy 4 2x10x10's, screw them together to make a giant square, then add a big piece of rubber liner to make a small pool that could be filled with which ever liquid you want how ever deep you want. My thought was only about 4-6 inches deep to all the body to only be partially covered. This could be filled up to the edges to allow the model to be completely covered, but lying safely on the bottom.

Set this up in your garage or in a barn, and it would be pretty cool. Add multiple strobes and the outcome could be fantastic

Pat Bonish
www.everymilesamemory.​com (external link)
www.patbonishphotograp​hy.com (external link)
http://www.instagram.c​om/bonish_photo/[/URL (external link)

Deadline
THREAD ­ STARTER
301 posts
Joined May 2015

Jan 28, 2016 12:41 as a reply to  @ EveryMilesAMemory's post |  #14

That is a very interesting idea!! I really like it as it can be made portable and affordable. Can bring that into a studio, fill it up and shoot on location. Thanks for the tip!!!

7,567 views & 3 likes for this thread
Models in Milk
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.