Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 27 May 2015 (Wednesday) 18:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony A7x lounge

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
16,741 posts
Gallery: 440 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 26, 2015 01:04 |  #10966

A couple of HDR today. Processed in LR6.... 5 exposures 3EV apart...

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

| VINZ - SONY A7RIII/A6000/FDR-X3000 | 85GM | FE1635GM | FE50F1.8 | SEL30mm F3.5 Macro |
INSTAGRAM (external link)- WEBSITE (external link) - FACEBOOK (external link) - 500PX (external link)

sponsored links
vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
16,741 posts
Gallery: 440 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Sep 2010

Dec 26, 2015 03:15 |  #10967

A little NSFW....

https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=17832593&i=​i210936645

| VINZ - SONY A7RIII/A6000/FDR-X3000 | 85GM | FE1635GM | FE50F1.8 | SEL30mm F3.5 Macro |
INSTAGRAM (external link)- WEBSITE (external link) - FACEBOOK (external link) - 500PX (external link)

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
12,556 posts
Gallery: 583 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by xpfloyd.

Dec 26, 2015 05:20 |  #10968

Puckman wrote in post #17832434 (external link)
Merry Christmas everyone. Been laying low lately, but headed out on a road trip to Arizona tomorrow.
As usual, gear decisions are killing me. The good news is I'm driving, so I can take as much gear as I want.
I'm still trying to keep it reasonable.
So here's my question: I plan on doing some minor Astro out there in the desert. What lens should I focus on? I have a couple of fast wide primes FD 24/2.8 and CV 35/1.7. I have faster, but longer (85/1.4 Rokinon).
And a bunch of slower zooms.
What would you try? I kinda wish I had the Rokinon 24/1.4, but I don't.
Thoughts?

And what's the basic rule of Astro? I'm new to it. High ISO (3200?) wide open?

Dean, use your widest lens (24mm 2.8?) And shoot at iso 6400 in the darkest sky you can find. Use the 500 rule for exposure so 500/focal length = 20 secs max then adjust from there. Keep lner switched on. F/2.8 isn't ideal but should still work. I've shot the milky way at 3.5 before. As long as the sky is dark enough you will be fine. If dark enough you could even try one click down on the aperture if wide open isn't working out for you (not sure how that FD lens performs). If you find a really dark sky you could lower your iso a bit too . You could also try your 35 1.7 lens (14 secs max) and see how you go. The faster aperture might make up for the shorter duration required

Finally remember that the moon phase being about 95% full tomorrow will not help your case either. Even in the darkest of skys if the moon is out it will make a bit of what you could see disappear. Hence the new moons every month being key astro photography nights.

For the milky way in the Northern Hemisphere, the core is visible from March to October but you can still see the milky way outwith those months (just not the core).

Ideally you use a wider lens and use the 400 rule instead of the 500 but the 400 will still work but you may have trailing at the extremes of the frame. I wouldnt even bother trying your 85mm lens without a tracker as you will have about 5 seconds exposure time available.

Hope you get good weather for it

Eddie | flickr (external link)| gear
α7R III | Mavic 2 Pro | Osmo Pocket
CV15 | Loxia 21 | Batis 25 | CV40 | Batis 85

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
12,556 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 26, 2015 05:38 |  #10969

I was using my Nissin i40 yesterday and have to say it is superb!. The size is matched perfectly to the sony body and it functions really well. It took me a bit at first to get used to when bouncing as I wasnt used to having a flash on camera. I always used my speedlight off camera previously as it was just to big on the body for my taste (even on my DSLR). Im now getting more used to where I should be directing the flash for the most even spill of light from the bounce.

It seemed to result in cold WB shots a lot of the time initially even when using the flash WB setting but its easily sorted in post. This was mainly evident in my own living room but I have white walls and ceilings so that may have been the issue. I used it elsewhere and the WB seemed correct.

The thing I LOVE about it is the on flash FEC dial when using ETTL mode. It makes on the fly alterations so easy.

Only negative I found (and still not sure 100% if its an issue) is that due to the nature of ETTL there is a VERY slight delay between the pre-flash and the main flash. For adults this is fine but for my son who doesnt look at the camera for more than a split second normally it could be an issue, and by that I mean when I am at the ready to take a shot, I manage to get his attention and he looks at the camera, I click the button and the pre-flash fires and by the time the main flash fires and the exposure is taken he has looked away a bit. Having said all that I was still getting shots when I felt this had happened so it may not be that big of a deal - further testing is required.

Now this is no fault of the flash and is more of a consequence of using ETTL with young kids. This would happen with any flash using ettl.

For the price I would recommend this flash to anyone with a Sony body.

jocau
Goldmember
1,838 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Mar 2012

Dec 26, 2015 05:42 |  #10970

How is the build quality of the Nissin i40? Is it as robust as let's say a Canon Speedlite 580EX II or a LumoPro LP180?

550D | EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 IS | EF 50mm F/1.8 II | EF 70-200mm F/4L IS | Speedlite 580EX II | LumoPro LP180 | Gitzo GT3541XLS | Arca-Swiss Monoball Z1 SP | ONA Bowery (black, non-leather) (external link)

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
12,556 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 26, 2015 06:00 |  #10971

jocau wrote in post #17832650 (external link)
How is the build quality of the Nissin i40? Is it as robust as let's say a Canon Speedlite 580EX II or a LumoPro LP180?

Its easily as well built as my old Canon 430 EX II and my current Yongnuo YN 560 III. It feels solid in the hand. Im very impressed with it.

Also - I just realised that when using it it automatically changes the camera to flash WB and also automatically switches setting effect to OFF. I was manually setting these settings yesterday before attaching the flash without realising.

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
12,556 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 26, 2015 06:10 |  #10972

Steve Huff - "and tilt shift..no one makes those anymore and while you can get them for Canon and Nikon, they are on the decline as software does all that a tilt shift lens does these days"

What?!?!? Software can now change the plane of focus in post so that its not square to the sensor?? What software is this - take my money now!

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
12,741 posts
Gallery: 181 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Dec 26, 2015 08:00 |  #10973

digital_AM wrote in post #17832482 (external link)
Have a safe trip Dean. Sounds like a fun time.

More lights from the riverwalk

I thought about cropping in further to avoid the lights on the left. Do they distract your eyes?

QUOTED IMAGE

I think the lights help with the leading lines back to the bridge so no, to me they don't distract.

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

davidfarina
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2013

Dec 26, 2015 08:16 |  #10974

Some shots from my recent trip to paris. I love la defense because of its architecture! Many photographic opportunities. First time using the CV15 on the A7R2. Pretty impressed with the low distortion on the 15 and its sharpness is pretty good too.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Sony A7RII | Sony A7S
EF 40 | EF 70-300L | FD 35 Tilt-Shift
FE 16-35 | FE 28 | FE 90
CV 15 4.5 III | CV 40 1.4 MC | Summilux 50 ASPH
Website (external link) | 500px (external link)

davidfarina
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Joined May 2013

Dec 26, 2015 08:17 |  #10975

Some more in the city

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Sony A7RII | Sony A7S
FE 16-35 | FE 28 | FE 90

davidfarina
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Joined May 2013

Dec 26, 2015 08:18 |  #10976

First is in the tube station madelaine. I love the symmetry even between the moving people! Second is la defense again

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Sony A7RII | Sony A7S
FE 16-35 | FE 28 | FE 90

advaitin
Goldmember
4,620 posts
Gallery: 432 photos
Joined Jun 2003
Post edited over 3 years ago by advaitin.

Dec 26, 2015 09:06 |  #10977

xpfloyd wrote in post #17832660 (external link)
Steve Huff - "and tilt shift..no one makes those anymore and while you can get them for Canon and Nikon, they are on the decline as software does all that a tilt shift lens does these days"

What?!?!? Software can now change the plane of focus in post so that its not square to the sensor?? What software is this - take my money now!

If you can use software to correct perspective, I suppose you could as easily use it to warp perspective. What Huff fails to understand is that a PC lens will give you a correction that leaves you with a full frame of digital information, rather than a diminished frame of cropped information. This is still a useful tool and I believe it will always be useful. As for which programs do the best job in correcting in software, I think DxO leads the pack, but certainly the inexpensive ACDSee Pro editing and browsing tool has an easy to use perspective correction tool. You still lose part of your image, however. And you may create other distortions as in the elongation of the bell tower.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Canons to the left, Canons to the right,
We hold our L glass toward the light,
Digitizing in a snap reflective glory
That will forever tell our imaged story.

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
12,556 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 26, 2015 09:07 |  #10978

Gas flaring up David :)

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
12,556 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Dec 26, 2015 09:16 |  #10979

advaitin wrote in post #17832744 (external link)
If you can use software to correct perspective, I suppose you could as easily use it to warp perspective. What Huff fails to understand is that a PC lens will give you a correction that leaves you with a full frame of digital information, rather than a diminished frame of cropped information. This is still a useful tool and I believe it will always be useful. As for which programs do the best job in correcting in software, I think DxO leads the pack, but certainly the inexpensive ACDSee Pro editing and browsing tool has an easy to use perspective correction tool. You still lose part of your image, however:

Perspective is one thing but im not talking about correcting or warping it, with tilt you can change the plane of focus so that its not square to the sensor. If you have already taken a shot on a normal lens there is no software in the world that can then take a section that is out of focus and make it in focus. Huff has completely misunderstood/missed one of the main functions of a tilt shift lens I.e. tilt. I normally quite like his site but starting to realise he shows a lot of favour towards certain manufacturers and not others. He's turning into a bit of a ken rockwell type character

davidfarina
Goldmember
3,357 posts
Joined May 2013

Dec 26, 2015 09:21 |  #10980

xpfloyd wrote in post #17832745 (external link)
Gas flaring up David :)

That was not my intention sorry :p

But seriously, better take the money and visit a new place, thats so much more fun than sitting at home with an expensive lens :)

Sony A7RII | Sony A7S
FE 16-35 | FE 28 | FE 90

sponsored links

3,801,719 views & 33,336 likes for this thread
Sony A7x lounge
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.