Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 22 Dec 2015 (Tuesday) 08:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Portrait client editing photos - What would YOU do?

flowrider
Goldmember
3,585 posts
Gallery: 124 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Dec 24, 2015 12:12 |  #31

I generally don't worry too much about it. I'm not 17-18 anymore and although I do my best to stay current what they like changes too rapidly! (said in old curmudgeon voice)

Seriously though. For a lot of my sessions, not necessarily seniors, I sell the experience more than the photos.

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

sponsored links
ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,127 posts
Gallery: 392 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Sep 2012

Dec 24, 2015 12:30 |  #32

bigVinnie wrote in post #17831089 (external link)
I agree with McNally.

Business models have to change with the times. The days of charging a session fee and making profit from prints are loooong gone. When it comes to non-commercial work I just take for granted they are going to do whatever they want.

To be honest, I make my best money doing photobooths. 2 to 4 hrs, give prints out during and a thumb drive to the host at the end. I don't even like dealing with individuals any more.

If I were still doing seniors, engagements etc... I would go to a higher fee and treat it as a work for hire.

Yes I'm a sellout.

Just curious:

If you were doing senior portraits, would you charge a fee for the session, and your PP time, and then give them a flash drive (provided by the client) with the images you feel are best, and be done with it?

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

bigVinnie
835 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Dec 24, 2015 12:55 |  #33

Yes, but I don't do them any more so I am probably not the best person for advice on the subject.

Even when I was doing softball tournaments I charged a fee to come out and shoot a team, they got a flash drive of images.

My wife would load up images on the macbook while sitting in the bleachers. Secondary sales to other teams came from her showing images as I shot. A single tournament could yield up to a grand and I'm done at the end of the day. Unfortunately I'm not physically able to do those any more.

My neighbor has a laser engraver. He would etch my contact info on the flash drives. I would highly recommend doing that if you are going to give out digital images. Better than a business card. Nobody tosses out flash drives.

Act1 Photo Booths (external link)

Scott ­ Spellman
203 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2015

Dec 24, 2015 21:37 |  #34

I firmly believe that if you want to be in the personal & family photography business today you must accept that your work may occasionally be edited poorly by your clients. Its a simple fact of modern technology that the tools are readily available to all people, and it is far more productive to your business to avoid confrontations with your clients over issues that do not have any value to them. It is not that you are not "right" and fully have legal protection, but simply that you cannot possibly control editing and use of your photos while maintaining a positive client experience.

Let your growth be your success and not your control over your art.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,063 posts
Gallery: 1508 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Dec 24, 2015 21:55 |  #35

Heya,

To give you an idea of where this is going, ultimately, look around at social media and you'll see photographs that you may recognize from photographers being used as posters, memes, etc, shared and re-edited, over and over. They're not even images that someone who edited it paid for or were even a part of. They just took it straight form where ever they saw it, edited, added, etc, and it just gets shared and moved around the social network block for years. Nothing they can do about it really either. Not worth the cost to truly "take it down."

When it comes to social media, in general, I would suggest you consider it like this... even bad publicity (reposting edits of photos you took that you don't like) is probably good publicity (in terms of keeping clients and/or getting new clients from these platforms). I would just let it go. Keep it in the contract, sure. That way if there was something serious, you'd have a legal leg to stand on. But for the common re-re-re-re-re-edit-share of everything that goes through the social media neighborhood, I'd just consider it a hybrid form of advertising and keep shooting on and not lose sleep over it. You're not losing credibility as a photographer because some kid applied a filter to a photo of themselves. And the other kids looking at their photos on that social platform, are not inspecting the work for a watermark or artist stamp. They gave it a 0.5 second look, and swiped to the next.

Social media is a fight I'd stay away from.

I'm in the camp of, you got paid to provide a product, you provided it, everyone's happy, don't worry about what they do with it later unless it was used commercially and you found out about it (that's where your contract comes in handy).

Keep shooting! :)

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Dec 25, 2015 15:24 |  #36
bannedPermanent ban

PhotosGuy wrote in post #17829896 (external link)
Maybe for commercial clients, but for HS seniors, I wish you a lotta' luck with that!

Exactly. I bet you'd get a lot of word of mouth traffic if you press legal charges against your clients.

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,306 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Dec 27, 2015 23:10 |  #37

I have seen this a lot over the years...

"That's MY work out there, and they are misrepresenting MY work."

I have to ask the question, how many people will look at the photo and know it was YOUR work? My guess is almost nobody. (Barring something like an Olan Mills watermark) If there is a conversation and/or referral it will generally be because your work was liked and appreciated, which in the end is all that matters.

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

travisvwright
Goldmember
2,040 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Dec 28, 2015 14:47 |  #38

ptcanon3ti wrote in post #17831197 (external link)
Just curious:

If you were doing senior portraits, would you charge a fee for the session, and your PP time, and then give them a flash drive (provided by the client) with the images you feel are best, and be done with it?

I think it's a bit archaic to need a flash drive. But I'm not even sure I know what the alternative to what you suggested would be. (Unless it really was physical flash drive vs purely digital.)

I come here for your expert opinion. Please do not hesitate to critique or edit.
70D, T3i, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.8 Macro, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 10-18 4.5 STM

Franklin NC Photographer Travis Wright (external link)

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,127 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Dec 28, 2015 14:51 |  #39

travisvwright wrote in post #17835260 (external link)
I think it's a bit archaic to need a flash drive. But I'm not even sure I know what the alternative to what you suggested would be. (Unless it really was physical flash drive vs purely digital.)

Exactly...what are the alternatives?

Paul
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 28, 2015 15:27 |  #40
bannedPermanent ban

I deliver the files on flash drives with my logo printed on. It also gives you the opportunity to personally interact with the client, which is part of the customer service 'experience'.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
8,127 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Dec 28, 2015 15:34 |  #41

hckyguy1 wrote in post #17821381 (external link)
bump

Alveric wrote in post #17835307 (external link)
I deliver the files on flash drives with my logo printed on. It also gives you the opportunity to personally interact with the client, which is part of the customer service 'experience'.

Sounds like a good idea. Where do you have your logo printed on them.

Paul
Body - Nikon D750

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 28, 2015 15:54 as a reply to  @ ptcanon3ti's post |  #42
bannedPermanent ban

My photo lab (Technicare) has that option.

http://photoflashdrive​.ca/Flash-Drives.html (external link)

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen

PhotosGuy
75,764 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Dec 28, 2015 16:38 |  #43

ptcanon3ti wrote in post #17835264 (external link)
Exactly...what are the alternatives?

You could put them on a CD, which I think marks them as "Read Only". That might make it harder for them to edit, too.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

the ­ flying ­ moose
Goldmember
1,629 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Dec 28, 2015 17:41 |  #44

memoriesoftomorrow wrote in post #17829330 (external link)
Some of my best referring clients are those who have butchered my shots of them with IG and other filters.

Yup. I have long accepted that people will throw a filter or something I might not like on my photos when they put them on social media. Realistically, its not hurting anyone. The clients are happy and I got paid.

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Dec 28, 2015 18:03 |  #45
bannedPermanent ban

Guess one could put a disclaimer on one's website stating that the images on the portfolio/galleries are the original, unadultered, 'true to the photographer's vision' photos.

sponsored links

7,834 views & 36 likes for this thread
Portrait client editing photos - What would YOU do?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.