Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Dec 2015 (Tuesday) 08:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Should I buy the grip?

Nordwil57
582 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 29, 2015 08:25 |  #1

Might be picking up a used 5d3 later this morning from a local camera store I frequent. They also have the BG E11 grip used for $169. I'm debating whether to pick it up as well.
I found I didn't use mine on my old 7D all that much, only when I wanted extended battery life. My 7d2 is fine without and I'm guessing the battery life is good on the 5d3? I do like the convenience when portrait shooting, but don't know if that would justify the added cost. Perhaps an aftermarket brand would suffice for the minimal use it would get.
Do you think I'd be passing up a bargain?

Rick

Gear List

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,711 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited over 3 years ago by John from PA.

Dec 29, 2015 08:31 |  #2

Nordwil57 wrote in post #17835992 (external link)
Might be picking up a used 5d3 later this morning from a local camera store I frequent. They also have the BG E11 grip used for $169. I'm debating whether to pick it up as well.
I found I didn't use mine on my old 7D all that much, only when I wanted extended battery life. My 7d2 is fine without and I'm guessing the battery life is good on the 5d3? I do like the convenience when portrait shooting, but don't know if that would justify the added cost. Perhaps an aftermarket brand would suffice for the minimal use it would get.
Do you think I'd be passing up a bargain?

In some ways you answered your own question. You have only used the grip to yield better battery life so why not just get a spare battery or two? Which brings up the question which I won't research, instead leaving it to you, but do a 7D2 and 5DIII share the same battery?

By the way KEH has the grip at $229 but that includes the batteries, charger, and the holder for AA batteries. So if you go with your deal, make sure you are getting the accessories or deal for a lower price.

Nordwil57
THREAD ­ STARTER
582 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 29, 2015 08:48 |  #3

Thanks John, I think I talked myself out of it while typing lol.

They actually do use the same battery, but the odd thing I found out after keeping my spare batteries when I traded in my old 7D is that the 7D2 charger won't charge after market or even the old 7D batteries. I had to pick up a used 7D charger that would work on everything. I also need to "accept" the aftermarket batteries in the 7d2 when prompted.

I'm not sure how the 5D3 will work out with these.

Rick

Gear List

Flickr (external link)

Nogo
World Record Holding Most Boring Commenter
7,508 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Dec 29, 2015 09:35 |  #4

I have both cameras. The 5d3 accepts Watson brand batteries with no problem and reports them just the same as Canon batteries. I can't say how it handles other brands but that brand is no problem.

To me a grip just makes a camera fit my hands better especially with a lens such as a 70-200 f2.8. If you like the feel without a grip there is little reason to get one. To me the extra battery is not much of a reason to get a grip with the 5d3. For my uses the 7d Mark III is much harder on batteries than the 5d3.

A good quality aftermarket grip does most everything a Canon does. I would not pay much more for the name brand one.

Philip
Does the TF actually know about the soda cans and PVC pipe from 30 years ago?

Nordwil57
THREAD ­ STARTER
582 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 29, 2015 09:46 |  #5

Great info, thanks Nogo!

Rick

Gear List

Flickr (external link)

Nortonski
603 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Dec 29, 2015 10:45 |  #6

I have the grip on both my ancient 20D & also the 5D3. Whilst I used it extensively on the 20D as I had the 70-200L IS on it much of the time as it helped with balance, I don't use it at all on the 5D3.

The 5D3 just fits my hands better & I actually don't use the long lenses much at all these days & the batteries are great, so don't feel like I need it. Luckily it was a free accessory...

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Post edited over 3 years ago by Bassat.

Dec 29, 2015 11:31 |  #7

I have grips for my 70D and 6D. I don't use them often, but when I do, I need them. I use them exclusively for orientation. For battery power alone, I carry spares.

I have a 135L, too. I don't use it all the time, but when I need, its nice to know its there. Same-same. None of my equipment gets used every outing.

Nordwil57
THREAD ­ STARTER
582 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 29, 2015 13:07 |  #8

Thanks for the input guys, all good stuff!

I actually passed on not only the grip, but on the body as well. A little too dinged up and close to 68,000 actuations. Probably not bad for a workhorse like the 5D3, but I'm hoping to do a little better.

Rick

Gear List

Flickr (external link)

Furlan
729 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 29, 2015 13:20 |  #9

Nordwil57 wrote in post #17836016 (external link)
Thanks John, I think I talked myself out of it while typing lol.

They actually do use the same battery, but the odd thing I found out after keeping my spare batteries when I traded in my old 7D is that the 7D2 charger won't charge after market or even the old 7D batteries. I had to pick up a used 7D charger that would work on everything. I also need to "accept" the aftermarket batteries in the 7d2 when prompted.

I'm not sure how the 5D3 will work out with these.

7D2 takes LP-E6N Battery

7D and 5D3 take LP-E6 Battery along with many other EOS DSLR's

Nordwil57
THREAD ­ STARTER
582 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 29, 2015 14:25 |  #10

Furlan wrote in post #17836342 (external link)
7D2 takes LP-E6N Battery

7D and 5D3 take LP-E6 Battery along with many other EOS DSLR's

The 7D2 will take all my batteries once I "accept" them. I wonder if the 5D3 will take the LP-E6N ?
Bad enough if not interchangeable, even worse if they look identical!

As it is, if I'm going on a trip and grab just the new charger, most of my batteries won't get charged.

Rick

Gear List

Flickr (external link)

Honey ­ Monster
183 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Dec 29, 2015 15:13 |  #11

Nordwil57 wrote in post #17836433 (external link)
The 7D2 will take all my batteries once I "accept" them. I wonder if the 5D3 will take the LP-E6N ?
Bad enough if not interchangeable, even worse if they look identical!

As it is, if I'm going on a trip and grab just the new charger, most of my batteries won't get charged.

I have chargers from the 5D3 and 7D2 and they both charge the LP-E6 and the LP-E6N. As far as I know the only difference between the 2 is that the N has a slightly higher capacity (1865 vs 1800 mAh).

Furlan
729 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Dec 29, 2015 15:46 |  #12

Well this thread caught my interest decided to do some research. As far as the battery I read that
it may be chemical change to conform to new Japanese standards???? The only physical thing I
could see is as previously mentioned the MAH. As far as the chargers they all carry the same model
number LC-E6. The only difference I could find regarding the chargers is on the data plate below
the diagonal square with PSE inside as follows.

7D " cosmos"
7D2 "UL Japan"
5D3 "JET"

What it means I don't have a clue. From everything I have read the popular consensus seems to
be batteries are interchangeable and any LC-E6 will charge either battery.

ebiggs
638 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Dec 29, 2015 15:49 |  #13

I use a grip on every camera I own. I wouldn't shoot with out a grip.

G1x, EOS 1Dx, EOS 1D Mk IV, ef 8-15mm f4L,
ef 16-35mm f2.8L II, ef 24-70mm f2.8L II, ef 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II,
Sigma 150-600mm f5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sport
*** PS 6, ACR 9.3, Lightroom 6.5 ***

GregDunn
Goldmember
1,287 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Dec 30, 2015 14:40 |  #14

It's nice to have a grip for the increased battery capacity, but the primary reason I use one is the better fit to my hands. Trying to hold a Rebel sized body without a grip is frustrating and uncomfortable; but even with the 5D and 7D bodies it's much more stable and usable with a grip attached. I hate the new compact DSLRs because I have to hold them with my fingertips in order to use the controls, then shift my hands to brace them for shooting. It's all about ergonomics for the individual person using it.

I have a 5D3, 7D and 7D2, and have never had a problem charging any batteries in any of the 3 chargers - in fact, I'm not even sure which battery is in which one right at the moment....

Canon 1Dx | 5D3 | 7D2 | 6D | 70-200L f/2.8IS | 70-200L f/4 | 24-70L f/2.8 | 24-105L f/4IS | 100-400L f/4.5-5.6IS | 17-55 f/2.8IS | 50 f/1.8 | 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 | 4x Godox AD360

joeseph
"smells like turd"
9,859 posts
Gallery: 104 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Dec 31, 2015 00:18 |  #15

ebiggs wrote in post #17836541 (external link)
I use a grip on every camera I own. I wouldn't shoot with out a grip.

plus, some of them are awfully difficult to remove... ;-)a

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

sponsored links

3,714 views & 2 likes for this thread
Should I buy the grip?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.