Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 29 Dec 2015 (Tuesday) 08:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Should I buy the grip?

Nordwil57
THREAD ­ STARTER
578 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Dec 31, 2015 15:44 |  #16

I should update.

First off, I was wrong about the 7D2 charger not charging the LP E6 batteries. The only batteries it won't charge are my aftermarket Maximal Power batteries. It also turns out I did pick up a used 5D3 from a friend of a Flickr friend. Just under 34,000 actuations and I DID buy the grip as well! (also his mint 500 f4, but that's another story!)

So the charger that came with the 5d3 WILL charge the aftermarket as well. It's likely an older unit than the 7d2 charger, although as Furlan mentioned above, they are all labeled LC-E6, but the newer one has UL Japan and the other 2 say Cosmos. FWIW, the silver box in the bottom right corner reads AEAD on the 5d3, ADAD on the older 7d charger, and CIGD on the newer unit. It could be that other aftermarkets work fine. Also the 5d3 gives the warning message when using the Maximal Power. I only have 2 of those, so maybe they'll just remain on the back end of any rotation.

Thanks for all the helpful input and I hope everybody has a great New Year!

Rick

Gear List

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
mwsilver
Goldmember
3,733 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Jan 01, 2016 12:38 |  #17

Nordwil57 wrote in post #17836016 (external link)
Thanks John, I think I talked myself out of it while typing lol.

They actually do use the same battery, but the odd thing I found out after keeping my spare batteries when I traded in my old 7D is that the 7D2 charger won't charge after market or even the old 7D batteries. I had to pick up a used 7D charger that would work on everything. I also need to "accept" the aftermarket batteries in the 7d2 when prompted.

I'm not sure how the 5D3 will work out with these.

The charger for the LP-E6 battery used in the 60D, 5DII, 5DIII and 70D, and the LP-E6N used in the 7D2 is identical. The LP-E6N has a bit more power but these two batteries and most 3rd party clones, will work interchangeably in all these cameras bodies.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab, Elements 15

Vertigo1
310 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 02, 2016 06:09 |  #18

The LP-E6 and LP-E6N are totally interchangeable - any body or charger which takes one will take the other.

I couldn't live without my grips and have them on both my 5D3 and 6D. One thing worth noting is that a grip with two batteries will last longer than using two batteries sequentially without a grip :)

Canon 5D3/6D | EF 16-35 f/4L IS | EF 24-70 f/2.8L II | EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS II | EF 35 f/1.4L II | EF 50 f/1.4

Nortonski
603 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Jan 02, 2016 06:33 |  #19

Vertigo1 wrote in post #17841051 (external link)
One thing worth noting is that a grip with two batteries will last longer than using two batteries sequentially without a grip :)

How does that work then? Same amount of power/charge..? maybe I'm missing something...

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,710 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jan 02, 2016 07:22 |  #20

Vertigo1 wrote in post #17841051 (external link)
... One thing worth noting is that a grip with two batteries will last longer than using two batteries sequentially without a grip :)

It is not even possible to know this. In order to determine this, you'd have to make exactly the same power demands on one battery, then the next, then the two together, and all from a predetermined, verifiable, starting point. All these factors get in your way: charge status of each battery, for each test. Age of each battery. Camera 'idle time'. Chimping time. Active AF time. AI-Servo time. Review time. WIFI/GPS time. Ambient temperature. Size of lens mounted. Number of shots fired. LiveView time. Video time. ISO for each photograph/video shot taken. Amount of IS/OS/VC time. It can't be done.

Nortonski wrote in post #17841057 (external link)
How does that work then? Same amount of power/charge..? maybe I'm missing something...

Nope. Except that even determining that the test is starting with the same amount of power per charge is not possible.

Tom

Honey ­ Monster
171 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 02, 2016 08:04 as a reply to  @ Bassat's post |  #21

I agree. The battery display shows how many shots have been taken on each battery, so it appears that each battery is being used separately. I cannot see how there would be any appreciable difference between using the grip and using 2 batteries one after the other. Any perceived differences will be due to differences in battery charge or age, or due to different shooting / review conditions.

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,710 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jan 02, 2016 08:09 |  #22

Honey Monster wrote in post #17841118 (external link)
I agree. The battery display shows how many shots have been taken on each battery, so it appears that each battery is being used separately. I cannot see how there would be any appreciable difference between using the grip and using 2 batteries one after the other. Any perceived differences will be due to differences in battery charge or age, or due to different shooting / review conditions.

Wow. You said that in a lot fewer words than I did. Easier to read to.

Bottom line: mount a grip for large lens support, big hands, or orientation. Need power? Carry an extra battery.

Tom

Frodge
Goldmember
3,043 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 02, 2016 08:10 |  #23

I say no for the grip unless you're doing event photography. I'm in the opposite camp. I don't like all that bulk and have never had a problem carrying a rebel, 60d, ff or point and shoot.

Honey ­ Monster
171 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 02, 2016 09:03 as a reply to  @ Bassat's post |  #24

I use a large lens and have large hands, hence the grip is useful for me. The additional controls are also good when in portrait orientation, but I would make sure the grips controls are switched off when in landscape mode as I have inadvertently changed settings by accidently activating these.

Orogeny
968 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Aug 2003

Jan 02, 2016 09:35 |  #25

A grip is obviously a very personal thing. I bought one for my 7D and returned it within a week because I didn't like the bulk it added. I shoot a lot with a rather large lens (Sigma 150-500 then and a Sigma 150-600 now) and the grip didn't help at all.

But that is just my preference and I know grips are an essential accessory for some people, even when using much smaller lenses.

Tim

There's someone in my head, but it's not me! - Roger Waters

https://www.flickr.com​/photos/orogeny/ (external link)

Vertigo1
310 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 02, 2016 10:31 |  #26

Bassat wrote in post #17841088 (external link)
It is not even possible to know this. In order to determine this, you'd have to make exactly the same power demands on one battery, then the next, then the two together, and all from a predetermined, verifiable, starting point. All these factors get in your way: charge status of each battery, for each test. Age of each battery. Camera 'idle time'. Chimping time. Active AF time. AI-Servo time. Review time. WIFI/GPS time. Ambient temperature. Size of lens mounted. Number of shots fired. LiveView time. Video time. ISO for each photograph/video shot taken. Amount of IS/OS/VC time. It can't be done.

This isn't from any scientific measurement, just my own experience, which is that two batteries in a grip lasts noticably longer than twice the longevity of a single battery.

I have no scientific explanation why and maybe I am imagining things but personally I don't think so. I've seen others report this behaviour too.

As to why, it's been suggested that the alternating behaviour of the grip reduces the load on the batteries which allows them to last a bit longer. Yes I know that halving the usage of each battery would theoretically make it last twice as long but what I mean is that doing so allows it to "recover" a little between each shot and thus last longer than twice the duration. This could all be total rubbish mind you :)

Canon 5D3/6D | EF 16-35 f/4L IS | EF 24-70 f/2.8L II | EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS II | EF 35 f/1.4L II | EF 50 f/1.4

Xyclopx
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 04, 2016 11:59 |  #27

curious... many people say the grip makes the camera easier to hold. obviously that's true in portrait orientation, but are you guys also saying that it's easier to hold for landscapes?--if so, how? you have some kind of special technique in holding the camera other than the usual one hand on grip and other on lens?

well, i know the op already bought his grip, but i guess since i'm doing a post i'll just add that i have the grip but only used it 3 times in 2 years, only when specifically being the event photographer or shooting sports.

Dean Chiang (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear (external link)
My Photos (external link)
Instagram @xyclopx (external link) @feetandeyes (external link) @gastramour (external link)

Mark ­ K
299 posts
Gallery: 145 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jun 2013

Jan 04, 2016 12:11 |  #28

Nordwil57 wrote in post #17835992 (external link)
Might be picking up a used 5d3 later this morning from a local camera store I frequent. They also have the BG E11 grip used for $169. I'm debating whether to pick it up as well.
I found I didn't use mine on my old 7D all that much, only when I wanted extended battery life. My 7d2 is fine without and I'm guessing the battery life is good on the 5d3? I do like the convenience when portrait shooting, but don't know if that would justify the added cost. Perhaps an aftermarket brand would suffice for the minimal use it would get.
Do you think I'd be passing up a bargain?

Bought every single camera a grip for years...until 5D3...this time I bought an inexpensive one from Meike.
Grips offer better handling, though battery life is no longer an issue on Canon/Nikon modern dSLR bodies. However, they still serve this purpose on mirrorless cameras.

Canon, Nikon, Sony, Minolta, Fujifilm, Sigma, Tamron & Tokina

Vertigo1
310 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 04, 2016 12:53 |  #29

Xyclopx wrote in post #17844141 (external link)
curious... many people say the grip makes the camera easier to hold. obviously that's true in portrait orientation, but are you guys also saying that it's easier to hold for landscapes?--if so, how? you have some kind of special technique in holding the camera other than the usual one hand on grip and other on lens?

I find it improves handling in landscape orientation. This is partly as I feel it balances the body and lens better with large/heavy lenses and partly as it gives a larger grip for your right hand - without the grip my little finger has nowhere to go and ends up underneath the camera. Feels much better with the grip in place.

Honey ­ Monster
171 posts
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 04, 2016 13:07 |  #30

Vertigo1 wrote in post #17844230 (external link)
I find it improves handling in landscape orientation. This is partly as I feel it balances the body and lens better with large/heavy lenses and partly as it gives a larger grip for your right hand - without the grip my little finger has nowhere to go and ends up underneath the camera. Feels much better with the grip in place.

I find the same. A few years ago I found the Canon DSLRs were too small for me to comfortably hold. A grip helps with bigger lenses and bigger hands.

sponsored links

3,408 views & 2 likes for this thread
Should I buy the grip?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.