Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 01 Jan 2016 (Friday) 19:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Flat white skin in photos

JessieKB
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Jan 2016

Jan 01, 2016 19:08 |  #1

Hello Everyone,

I am a newbie. I have always loved photography and a few months ago I bought my first dslr camera body a Canon 7d mark ii and I bought my first lens efs 17-55mm 2.8 usm
I have been having lots of fun taking photos there is so much to learn so so so much.
But I have been having trouble with my images of people I would like them to be beautiful and smooth and solid colour like 3d but they are not they a flat and white.
I have bought a speed light... I am still learning how to use that too. I only shoot in RAW too.
Could someone please help me I have no Idea what I am suppose to do? Pretty please.

Thank you so much,
Jess

I took this photo yesterday

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
28,998 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 01, 2016 19:27 |  #2

The first thing you need to do is find good light. In the shot anove you have highlights from the sun rakimg across the side of his face and the tip of his nose. For now try to fimd some areas of open, but solid shade, perhaps the shadow of a building. Avoid tree shade as you get dappled light with spots of light peeking through. The hour or so of twilight between the sun going down and darkness is known of the golden hour. The intensity, direction, and color of the light is prized for portrait work. Middle of the day light can be hard, contrasty, and unflattering. Using your speedlite can be helpful although it can be tricky using it bare.

JessieKB
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Jan 2016

Jan 01, 2016 21:09 as a reply to  @ gonzogolf's post |  #3

Thank you so much for your reply! Great advice I will take it all on board thank you. Even in shade I am having the same problem though I am hoping I will get it right really soon. I still don't know all my camera setting or how to edit well yet. I absolutely loved my Wedding Photographers they really inspired me to buy a proper camera :-)

This Photo was taken by my Wedding Photographer even at 3pm the colours on the face are smooth and creamy and nice colour even though highlighted.
I would really love for my photos to be this nice one day.
Thank you so much again Gonzogolf I really appreciate your advice. :-)

HOSTED PHOTO

nqjudo
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 01, 2016 21:25 |  #4

You mention that you bought a flash. With a single flash you are going to get your best results using it off camera. Flash used on the camera directly pointed at the subject tends to be unflattering. You can learn a lot here but there are some excellent tutorials at strobist.com which is a major hub of off-camera flash. Your setup doesn't have to be complicated or expensive but you can improve you results a lot just by moving the flash off camera because it will allow you to shape the light a lot more than having the flash stuck to the hot shoe.

As gonzogolf mentions you could also try finding better light. Early morning and late afternoon/early evening are good times. Cloudy days can work well too. As for the portrait you posted from your wedding photog vs the one you took there is also a big difference in white balance. the one from the wedding is much warmer which is usually more pleasing for portraits. You mention that you are shooting RAW so you can easily add a little warmth to the portrait in post-processing. You don't have to overdo it but a little warmer caste might make the photo more pleasing to your eye. You don't mention what post processing software you're using but there are several out there that will allow you to change the white balance/skin tones selectively. Lastly, there are plenty of good video tutorials out there for portrait shooting and retouching. Give YouTube a shot. Best of luck with your photos.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

JessieKB
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Jan 2016

Jan 02, 2016 16:10 as a reply to  @ nqjudo's post |  #5

Hi nqjudo

Thank you for great advice!
I will be checking out strobist.com thanks.
The editing programs I have are Canon's Digital Photo Professional, Lightroom & Photoshop.
I youtube a lot and google, they have been my only learning tools until I signed up here :-)
What program would you recommend I use to get a warmer skin tone?
Are there any retouching tutorials you would recommend?
Thank you so much.

Mozes
Goldmember
1,611 posts
Gallery: 393 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 02, 2016 16:22 |  #6

try this
http://phlearn.com/?s=​skin (external link)

i have learn practically all that i now from phlearn.

*Nikon D3s * Nikon D7100 * 18-105mm kitlens * Tamron AF SP 90 mm f/2.8 VC USD Macro * Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 SP Di VC USD *
Sportplaatje (external link) I flickriver (external link)

JessieKB
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Jan 2016

Jan 02, 2016 16:25 as a reply to  @ Mozes's post |  #7

Wow thanks so much Mozes I am going to check it out now :-D

Point-n-shoot-n
Goldmember
1,642 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 02, 2016 22:01 |  #8

Phlearn is a great place to start! The white skin tones can be a result of improper white balance, saturation, tint, etc. You can do a lot in Lightroom or Photoshop to correct the skin tones and warm them up a bit.

Canon 5D mk iii, Canon 5d classic, Rebel XTI 400D 18-55 kit lens, Canon EF 85mm 1:1.8, Canon EF 17-40 F4L, Quantaray 70-300 1:4-5.6 LD, Canon 70-200 F2.8 iiL, Canon EF135 F2 L, Canon 200 F2 L, Tamron 28-75 1:2.8 , 2 alien bee 800's, 430 EXii, 580 EXii, rectangular and octo softboxes, assorted umbrellas, portable backdrops, radio triggers and still adding.............

Alveric
Goldmember
4,426 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by Alveric. (2 edits in all)

Jan 02, 2016 22:28 |  #9

JessieKB wrote in post #17840753 (external link)
Thank you so much for your reply! Great advice I will take it all on board thank you. Even in shade I am having the same problem though I am hoping I will get it right really soon. I still don't know all my camera setting or how to edit well yet. I absolutely loved my Wedding Photographers they really inspired me to buy a proper camera :-)

This Photo was taken by my Wedding Photographer even at 3pm the colours on the face are smooth and creamy and nice colour even though highlighted.
I would really love for my photos to be this nice one day.
Thank you so much again Gonzogolf I really appreciate your advice. :-)

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by JessieKB in
./showthread.php?p=178​40753&i=i161338389
forum: People

Hmm, Jessie, I actually find the skin tones in that photo on the sallow side, as if the poor bridegroom suffered from some kind of liver ailment. I honestly find the tones in your photo to be more true to life, although they do suffer from the washing-out problems due to the harsh lighting mentioned above.

If you're just starting out, I'd suggest getting some practice with natural light before you start using your flash. Find some open shade, or shoot under an overcast sky. Once you've got that down, move onto full sunlight (just not noon), and learn to work your shadows and highlights. Once you've got that down, get into flashwork. Right now you need to SEE and learn how light works, and the sun is the best source to do that: your flash doesn't have a modeling light and will just confuse you and frustrate you right now.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

texasreddirt
472 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2007

Jan 03, 2016 22:32 |  #10

I have to agree with the above. The second picture appears to have some sunlight maybe coming through the trees or something and is giving your face a much warmer white balance. You could probably boost your exposure in the first shot a little and warm it up (white balance) just a touch. That would probably help some.

JessieKB
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Jan 2016

Jan 12, 2016 03:56 as a reply to  @ Alveric's post |  #11

Thank you so much for your reply. I have been practicing a lot! I think I am getting better :-D Thanks for all the great advice!

JessieKB
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Jan 2016

Jan 12, 2016 03:58 as a reply to  @ Mozes's post |  #12

Thank you so much for sharing this. Phlearn has helped me a lot :-D

Xyclopx
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 12, 2016 16:31 |  #13

JessieKB wrote in post #17840636 (external link)
I have bought a speed light... I am still learning how to use that too. I only shoot in RAW too.
Could someone please help me I have no Idea what I am suppose to do? Pretty please.

beyond good technique, like lighting as others have mentioned, just fyi that many of the pics you really like probably have been processed as well.

shooting in raw doesn't do anything by itself--in fact it would result in duller pictures (than the in-camera processed jpgs) unless you do something to them.

but as others have implied, technique is first.

Dean Chiang (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear (external link)
My Photos (external link)
Instagram @xyclopx (external link) @feetandeyes (external link) @gastramour (external link)

wamvar
47 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 12, 2016 21:32 |  #14

i have to agree with Xyclopx in the comment above; if you don't mind here is a PP of your Jpg,
if you want i can delete, sorry for taking your pic with out your permission, i just want make a point ;-)a

HOSTED PHOTO

JessieKB
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Jan 2016

Jan 13, 2016 18:42 as a reply to  @ wamvar's post |  #15

I don't mind at all :-D
It's all about learning anyway.
Thanks for showing me.
I think I may need to change my computer settings because his face looks a little red in this?

sponsored links

2,882 views & 8 likes for this thread
Flat white skin in photos
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.