Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 04 Jul 2015 (Saturday) 07:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need new PC

tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 25, 2015 20:12 |  #46

Submariner wrote in post #17643919 (external link)
I have just done a clean install and it took 69Gb plus 17 Gb fornthe recovery partition, and asked for an overprovisioning section of 46 GB ( the performance setting for Samsung)
Note Photoshop and DPP are not even loaded yet.
So its going to be 150GB!
Personally I would definitely go for 500GB. If its your only disc or 256GB just fornthenOS and applications.
Might cost you £70 more but you will use it. IMO.

PEBKAC. Turn your overprovisioning back to 10%, even 5% is fine. 46GB is insanely wasteful. Turn off magician, it doesn't help - the RAM acceleration only helps benchmarks, not real world.

I have Windows 10, Office 2013, Photoshop and Bridge CS6, a bunch of utilities, browsers, and random stuff : total 36GB. That doesn't include a hibernate file (disable it as here (external link)) but does include a 16GB swap file. I have 91GB free on my 120GB SSD.

What I don't have on my disk is data: no images, no caches, no iTunes library, no browser caches, no old installs of Windows. If I did I might half fill my 120GB SSD. Also hit start and type "disk cleanup", let it run, click "clean up system files" and let it run again. That can clear out a bunch of crud.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

sponsored links
Bob_A
Cream of the Crop
8,438 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Jan 2005

Jul 25, 2015 23:16 |  #47

Submariner wrote in post #17643919 (external link)
I have just done a clean install and it took 69Gb plus 17 Gb fornthe recovery partition, and asked for an overprovisioning section of 46 GB ( the performance setting for Samsung)
Note Photoshop and DPP are not even loaded yet.
So its going to be 150GB!
Personally I would definitely go for 500GB. If its your only disc or 256GB just fornthenOS and applications.
Might cost you £70 more but you will use it. IMO.

If you are going to do the jump to Win 10 then I don't think you need the recovery partition. I believe MS eliminates it for Win 10.

Bob
SmugMug (external link) | My Gear Ratings | My POTN Gallery

josh5k
359 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jul 31, 2015 06:27 |  #48

Bob_A wrote in post #17644485 (external link)
If you are going to do the jump to Win 10 then I don't think you need the recovery partition. I believe MS eliminates it for Win 10.

Yup no more need for extensive space for a recovery partition.

CameraLogy.Com (external link) MMayhem (external link) Twitter (external link) GEARG+ (external link)
My Facebook Page (external link)!!

tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 31, 2015 14:58 |  #49

I'm on W10 insider (pre-release) build, I have a 450MB recovery partition on my main SSD. Not sure if W10 or W7 made it, I upgraded from W7.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

iowajim
518 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2011

Aug 01, 2015 20:38 |  #50

My video editing software of choice went to a 64 bit system just this year, so I suspect that this will be the first time I can actually get the most out of my 16 g of RAM. I'm not convinced that 32 g would even be used by the software, but if I were buying a computer today, I'd get a pair of 8g chips to allow the upgrade to 32 if I found that it could be useful.

On a related note, I'm running an i7 2600k. Since this is a 775 socket CPU (?), are there any options for a compatible pci express 3.0 motherboard? I don't need to upgrade the processor, but I'd like a faster video card.

Jim, in Iowa
80D / T2i / Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 / Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 / Canon 24-105 f4 / Tamron SP VC 70-200mm f2.8 / Sigma 150-600mm C

-dave-m-
493 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Sep 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by -dave-m-.

Aug 01, 2015 21:15 |  #51

iowajim wrote in post #17653022 (external link)
My video editing software of choice went to a 64 bit system just this year, so I suspect that this will be the first time I can actually get the most out of my 16 g of RAM. I'm not convinced that 32 g would even be used by the software, but if I were buying a computer today, I'd get a pair of 8g chips to allow the upgrade to 32 if I found that it could be useful.

On a related note, I'm running an i7 2600k. Since this is a 775 socket CPU (?), are there any options for a compatible pci express 3.0 motherboard? I don't need to upgrade the processor, but I'd like a faster video card.

2600k is a socket 1155 processor, the 2600k does not support PCIe 3.0 regardless of the motherboard you put it in, the on die PCIe controller is 2.0 only.

5D MkII Gripped | 7D MkII Gripped | 200 f/2.8L | 17-40 f/4L | Σ 24-105 OS f/4 Art | Σ 50 f/1.4 Art | Σ 150-600 OS f/5-6.3 C | 430EX II

Submariner
Goldmember
3,028 posts
Joined May 2012

Aug 02, 2015 13:35 |  #52

Bob_A wrote in post #17644485 (external link)

I hope not - but I will definitely do a complete refresh install to get rid of the dreaded Sony bloatware.

Canon EOS 5DS R, Canon EF 70-200 F2.8 L Mk II IS USM, Canon EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM, EF 40mm F2.8 STM , RC6 Remote. Canon STE-3 Radio Flash Controller, Canon 600 EX RT x4 , YN 560 MkII x2 ; Bowens GM500PRO x4 , Bowens Remote Control. Bowens Pulsar TX, RX Radio Transmitter and Reciever Cards. Bowens Constant 530 Streamlights 600w x 4 Sold EOS 5D Mk III, 7D, EF 50mm F1.8, 430 EX Mk II, Bowens GM500Rs x4

unlimited6986
THREAD ­ STARTER
854 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 03, 2016 16:24 |  #53

Bringing this back from the dead. I still have not bought a new PC life just got in the way. My current computer is the HP Pavilion Elite HPE-350t has an I7-860, upgraded to 16GB and has the ATI Radeon HD 5450. I currently have a samsung 256GB SSD but have not put that in yet. My computer is doing good now but my biggest problem is the graphics. When i go to edit a video its very laggy. Also i cant even watch any gopro footage. So if i wanted to keep this computer which graphics card should i go with and thats compatible with my current setup? Also will it be worth it to buy the graphics card?

tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jan 03, 2016 16:29 |  #54

unlimited6986 wrote in post #17843044 (external link)
Bringing this back from the dead. I still have not bought a new PC life just got in the way. My current computer is the HP Pavilion Elite HPE-350t has an I7-860, upgraded to 16GB and has the ATI Radeon HD 5450. I currently have a samsung 256GB SSD but have not put that in yet. My computer is doing good now but my biggest problem is the graphics. When i go to edit a video its very laggy. Also i cant even watch any gopro footage. So if i wanted to keep this computer which graphics card should i go with and thats compatible with my current setup? Also will it be worth it to buy the graphics card?

Why do you think it's the graphics card that's slow? Anything should be good enough for that. Monitor resources and make sure you know where the bottleneck really is.

unlimited6986
THREAD ­ STARTER
854 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 03, 2016 17:41 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #55

How can i check for that? I did the windows experience and came back as graphics 5.1

tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jan 03, 2016 17:57 |  #56

Start the windows task manager by pushing and holding control shift and esc, or right clicking on the task bar. Monitor your CPU, RAM and Disk. The W10 task manager is much improved over others.

Even the really old i7's should be heaps for playing video. Could be a driver issue, a codec issue (install this (external link) to see), all kinds of things before I'd replace the graphics card. Upgrade to W10 if you can.

sponsored links

8,112 views & 1 like for this thread
Need new PC
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.