Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 01 Jan 2016 (Friday) 20:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

photo booth (read lots of threads) already

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,251 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 04, 2016 11:17 as a reply to  @ post 17844076 |  #16

fwiw, the last event I shot I hired a guy to press the button on the "red carpet" entry photos. It was monkey work but the client paid the fees. The took 300-400 pics, sometimes just one pic, sometimes 3-5 of the group or various groups. There would have been no time to download the images to a USB drive, and the thought of inserting 300 USB drives into the computer and manually copying the images to them makes me want to pull my hair out. Not that I have any to pull.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

sponsored links
kenwood33
Goldmember
2,578 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 04, 2016 11:57 |  #17

It sounds like a very low volume engagement. You can get the job done using traditional inkjet printers. Buy or rent is up to you. The key is the stage setup and costume available. If you want the photos to come out better, setup lights. If not, a p&s with sufficient MP should give you acceptable 4x6 or 5x7 prints.

Gearlist

bigVinnie
835 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 04, 2016 12:19 |  #18

The last fundraiser I did they charged $10 per print. I printed 4x6 dye-sub prints. A sponsor of the event paid my fee for me to be there.

I tried that iPad software and was not happy with the results, but I'm especially picky.

So far the best off the shelf software I've found is SnapShotStudio http://www.allenchrist​opher.com/ (external link) Not cheap.

SnapShot does automatically upload images for you but I don't use it. I provide a thumb drive to the event organizers as part of the package. I've never offered digitals to individuals. Royal pain in the wazoo.

If you want more details on my setup send me a private message.

Act1 Photo Booths (external link)

Village_Idiot
GREATEST POTN MEMBER EVER
3,695 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jan 04, 2016 12:26 |  #19

kenwood33 wrote in post #17844136 (external link)
It sounds like a very low volume engagement. You can get the job done using traditional inkjet printers. Buy or rent is up to you. The key is the stage setup and costume available. If you want the photos to come out better, setup lights. If not, a p&s with sufficient MP should give you acceptable 4x6 or 5x7 prints.

If it's going to be a night job, you need lights. Even a day time event if the shadows aren't right can look terrible if you don't have the correct lighting. I'd make sure you have everything down to a science before attempting this and if you're insisting on USB handouts, make sure that you can take photos and copy them quickly enough. Most events I shoot start with maybe one couple every 10 minutes or so but usually by the last 1 1/2 - 2 hours of the night you have a line of people waiting the have their pictures taken.

My first even ever is one this page here:
http://www.digitalroom​studios.com/?p=114 (external link)

It's the second gallery down.

My village called. I was told that they missed me.

Speedotron users, untie!

Alveric
Goldmember
4,589 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 04, 2016 12:42 |  #20

When I was considering a photo booth, I thought of something like this (external link). Note they were using a Canon Selphy for the prints: the printer itself is dirt cheap, but the cartridges might not be so.

I looked at the dye sub printers and even added one to my 'wishlist', but never got around to do the booth thing: not just the price of the printer, booth area, &c, but the logistics would be more than a team of one can handle. Your situation is of course different, maybe the video will give you some ideas.

My thinking was to sell the prints for $5-10 each. No digital media. You'd also need a machine or app to take plastic, as many people no longer carry cash nowadays (though they might, at an event with an open bar).

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

Scott ­ Spellman
203 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2015

Jan 04, 2016 16:41 |  #21

From my experience and that of hundreds of other event shooters, expecting attendees to buy flash drives for $20+ full mostly of photos of pother people will probably results in almost no sales at all. The reason that people are trying to understand the business, labor, and equipment involved, is because this type of gig rarely generates a profit. Event print and merchandise sales are at a all time low because most people will simply use your backdrop and take their own cell phone pictures. Prints on site generate the most sales but require assistants and printers. These type of gigs generally works best when the event photographer is paid up front and delivers the photos in an event gallery provided for free.

Ltdave
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,934 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 04, 2016 16:43 |  #22

Boone13 wrote in post #17844073 (external link)
You seem to be getting upset but how do you expect someone to give advice on the best way to deliver a product when we can't really understand what you're trying to do, how it's set up, how you're being compensated. All of those things play a factor in how to answer your question. It's not a simple answer which it seems is what you're wanting.

not upset at all...

im sorry if i used incorrect terminology. i was referring to a photo set up similar to what you might find at a prom or homecoming dance...

i mentioned THIS: money raised from photos will be shared (% not yet determined) between myself and the organizers. so i dont know how its unclear how im going to be compensated...

i also mentioned THIS: ive read about printing on site (i dont currently own a photo quality printer and never really liked the output of what ive had in the past)... ive read about online sales and all of the comments against that... ive read about paying and then mailing the prints... ive read about selling digital images... and i was thinking id get pros and cons to each of these options. which i did for the most part...

and i mentioned this TOO: ive been places where the photographer shoots everyone coming into a venue and selling a thumb drive with the images. these thumb drives are generally VERY SMALL capacity (bought in bulk for pennies on the dollar). i got some comments on this too! thank you to everyone who gave me some things to think about...

ive found the thread quite helpful and it seems a couple of others have too...

Ltdave
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,934 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 04, 2016 16:50 |  #23

Scott Spellman wrote in post #17844478 (external link)
From my experience and that of hundreds of other event shooters, expecting attendees to buy flash drives for $20+ full mostly of photos of pother people will probably results in almost no sales at all. The reason that people are trying to understand the business, labor, and equipment involved, is because this type of gig rarely generates a profit. Event print and merchandise sales are at a all time low because most people will simply use your backdrop and take their own cell phone pictures. Prints on site generate the most sales but require assistants and printers. These type of gigs generally works best when the event photographer is paid up front and delivers the photos in an event gallery provided for free.

thanks Scott. the last time i was in toronto and went to the CN tower for dinner, they had a photographer shooting pics of people coming in to visit (or eat?)...

they were selling that ONE image on a flash drive (i didnt buy one) but i dont know what they were asking. probably $30 CDN...

that was what i had though of doing, with my lighting and background set up. it wouldnt be a huge set up and thinking people might want to use the backdrop, a box to take donations for the "privilege" of doing so might generate money for the concern too. im part of the organization doing the fundraiser so i dont mind sharing the revenue...

i like your avatar. ive lived close to detroit for nearly all of my 50 years and ive never shot the Spirit of Detroit...

bigVinnie
835 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 04, 2016 17:16 |  #24

For what you are looking to do I highly recommend you focus on selling prints. A dye-sub printer is a must! Even a cheap selphy printer (or two) will server you better than an ink jet.

For a fundraiser like this I suggest getting some nice photo frames as well. Something like this: http://amzn.com/B002DP​XHQ4 (external link) only not so expensive. Not necessary but if charging by the print it makes a nice package.

My only other advice: Bring a helper.

Boone13
387 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 04, 2016 21:10 |  #25

Ltdave wrote in post #17844481 (external link)
i mentioned THIS: money raised from photos will be shared (% not yet determined) between myself and the organizers. so i dont know how its unclear how im going to be compensated...

I was referring to compensation for being there, not money made off of prints.

i also mentioned THIS: ive read about printing on site (i dont currently own a photo quality printer and never really liked the output of what ive had in the past)... ive read about online sales and all of the comments against that... ive read about paying and then mailing the prints... ive read about selling digital images... and i was thinking id get pros and cons to each of these options. which i did for the most part...

This speaks nothing to the setup you were going for.

and i mentioned this TOO: ive been places where the photographer shoots everyone coming into a venue and selling a thumb drive with the images. these thumb drives are generally VERY SMALL capacity (bought in bulk for pennies on the dollar). i got some comments on this too! thank you to everyone who gave me some things to think about...

This too didn't speak to the exact setup you were going for.

I'm glad you were able to get some food for thought. Using bold and CAP's to (I'm assuming) emphasize your points is silly though. Leave that to teenagers who know no better. ;-)a

Some moments are too amazing to be ruined with words.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,251 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 04, 2016 21:15 |  #26

Boone13 wrote in post #17843872 (external link)
Whether a physical booth or an area with a studio-style setup, I don't see where this is advantageous for you. It sounds like you're not getting paid directly for your time and setting up a camera and snapping pics of folks in costume doesn't exactly yield any portfolio-worthy content. What exactly are you looking to achieve? You're here asking questions so it seems there's already doubt at play.

this speaks nothing to the question being asked

Boone13 wrote in post #17844073 (external link)
You seem to be getting upset but how do you expect someone to give advice on the best way to deliver a product when we can't really understand what you're trying to do, how it's set up, how you're being compensated. All of those things play a factor in how to answer your question. It's not a simple answer which it seems is what you're wanting.

this too didn't speak to the question being asked

Boone13 wrote in post #17844822 (external link)
I was referring to compensation for being there, not money made off of prints.

This speaks nothing to the setup you were going for.

This too didn't speak to the exact setup you were going for.

I'm glad you were able to get some food for thought. Using bold and CAP's to (I'm assuming) emphasize your points is silly though. Leave that to teenagers who know no better. ;-)a

and the hat trick!

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Boone13
387 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 04, 2016 21:27 |  #27

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #17844829 (external link)
this speaks nothing to the question being asked

this too didn't speak to the question being asked

and the hat trick!

Ltdave wrote in post #17840714 (external link)
i was approached about possibly doing a photo booth at a Mardi Gras party (so i have a while to learn and prepare)...

Ltdave wrote in post #17840714 (external link)
can i get a condensed run down on the best way to run something like this?

Ltdave wrote in post #17843779 (external link)
I've never run a photo booth and other than at my daughter's school years back (Daddy Daughter dances) I've never SEEN a photo booth style set up...

It's a joint venture between myself and the organizers. This isn't a fundraiser that will bring large amounts of cash to the project. The funds raised will go towards an art festival with bands that in the past have been pulled off for under $14,000. I see this as a better deal than shooting something and getting "exposure" or "experience" although i would be getting both. I always try to learn something new from every event or activity I photograph...

I suppose our definitions of "nothing" differs.

Some moments are too amazing to be ruined with words.

ShotByTom
Goldmember
2,989 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 11, 2016 14:26 |  #28

I have been doing these events for several years now. I started with inkjets, went to Dye Subs the 2nd year, then sold them all off and have been using inkjets for the past several years.

Dye Subs are by far the fastest printers, but...I don't like the look of the photo and I don't like the paper they print on and you have to buy in bulk, the media can cost $300 at a time.

I use 3 people, one greets and poses, one photographer and one person runs the printers.

I use 2 or 3 inkjets, depending on the size of the event. I use these: http://www.amazon.com …oh_aui_detailpa​ge_o06_s00 (external link)

I use third party ink: http://www.amazon.com …oh_aui_detailpa​ge_o07_s00 (external link)

Canon original photo paper: http://www.amazon.com …oh_aui_detailpa​ge_o07_s00 (external link)

and I use dslrBooth software: http://dslrbooth.com/ (external link)

I also use an Apple MacBook Pro, and a printer pool to speed up the printing.

After doing this for about 7 years now, I have found that this is the most economical and efficient equipment to use. The inkjets produce excellent quality prints, the canon photo paper is much better than the dye sub paper, and the software is one of the least expensive out there.

I typically charge an upfront fee, $200 or so, then a portion of each print

Gear
Website (external link)

bigVinnie
835 posts
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 11, 2016 15:29 |  #29

Tom, how many prints do you typically do at an event?

Ltdave
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,934 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jan 11, 2016 15:30 |  #30

ShotByTom wrote in post #17854098 (external link)
I have been doing these events for several years now. I started with inkjets, went to Dye Subs the 2nd year, then sold them all off and have been using inkjets for the past several years.

Dye Subs are by far the fastest printers, but...I don't like the look of the photo and I don't like the paper they print on and you have to buy in bulk, the media can cost $300 at a time.

I use 3 people, one greets and poses, one photographer and one person runs the printers.

I use 2 or 3 inkjets, depending on the size of the event. I use these: http://www.amazon.com …oh_aui_detailpa​ge_o06_s00 (external link)

I use third party ink: http://www.amazon.com …oh_aui_detailpa​ge_o07_s00 (external link)

Canon original photo paper: http://www.amazon.com …oh_aui_detailpa​ge_o07_s00 (external link)

and I use dslrBooth software: http://dslrbooth.com/ (external link)

I also use an Apple MacBook Pro, and a printer pool to speed up the printing.

After doing this for about 7 years now, I have found that this is the most economical and efficient equipment to use. The inkjets produce excellent quality prints, the canon photo paper is much better than the dye sub paper, and the software is one of the least expensive out there.

I typically charge an upfront fee, $200 or so, then a portion of each print

Fabulous!

thank you very much

sponsored links

6,397 views & 2 likes for this thread
photo booth (read lots of threads) already
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.