Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Jan 2016 (Sunday) 20:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Have you changed Camera's and what about Camera Ergonomics?

Ralph ­ III
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 03, 2016 20:04 |  #1

Hello All,
I'm in a real dilemma at the moment and have been for over a year now.

I find myself wanting a new (or different) camera but I don't know if I could get used to the layouts of the newer ones? Everything seems to be similar to the Rebel layout which I didn't care for in comparison to what I've had.

I've owned a 30d, then several 40d's and now I have a 50d and a classic 5d. I absolutely love the ergonomics of these cameras. I just don't know if I could get used to the button layouts of newer models or such as the Rebel line?

I just finding myself desiring something a little lighter and possibly with newer features such as video. IQ remains my main concern though as I take the family & friends portrait shots so video isn't an absolute.

Do you think I could get used to the Rebel type button layout or would you recommend something different?

God Bless,
Ralph

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"
POTN FEEDBACK...............ITEMS FOR SALE

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,897 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jan 03, 2016 20:45 |  #2

I have a 6D and SL1. 6D gets 95 percent of the use but moving to the tiny SL1 is usually pretty seamless. Just the huge difference in size is enough to cue my mind into knowing to use the different button layout.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

rdricks
574 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Aug 2006
Post edited over 3 years ago by rdricks.

Jan 03, 2016 21:00 |  #3

If you really like the features then, given time, you can get used to the ergonomics. Having said that, years ago when switching from film to digital, my entire reasoning for going Canon over Nikon was because the dial turned the direction I was used to for exposure compensation. The Nikon was backwards to me, I was too stubborn to change. To this day I also insist on dual dial layout, once again because it is what I am used to.

-Ryan
Gear List
flickr (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
50,037 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 3 years ago by CyberDyneSystems. (2 edits in all)

Jan 03, 2016 21:41 |  #4

Ralph, I am also not a fan of the "Rebel" layout.
Near as i can tell, the only bodies that are in this class are the rebel/T line, SL1 (even smaller and weirder) and to some small extent the 6D is sort of in between (but a lot closer to the rest than it is to the rebel)

To me, the newer 5D3, 7D2, and even D70 all feel very familiar and similar to the 10D, 20D, 30D 5D etc I was used to. The important things are all in the same place. In fact the 5D3 and 7D2 are better than anything before IMHO.

I actually go back and forth between several models regularly. The 5D3, 5D2, 7D2, SL1 and 1D4.

The biggest hurdle as mentioned is the SL1, where nothing is where I expect it to be, but the rest I can do seamlessly despite some differences between 1D and the others.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

GregDunn
Goldmember
1,289 posts
Joined Mar 2013

Jan 04, 2016 00:49 |  #5

Part of the reason I initially bought a 7D was to move to a more comfortable button layout. I still have trouble switching back to a Rebel because of the differences. Ultimately I ended up with a 5D3 and a 7D2 in part because their ergonomics are so similar. It's disconcerting to switch cameras in mid stream when the controls are in different places. -? That's just a problem because of muscle memory and I'm sure it doesn't bug others as badly.

Canon 1Dx | 5D3 | 7D2 | 6D | 70-200L f/2.8IS | 70-200L f/4 | 24-70L f/2.8 | 24-105L f/4IS | 100-400L f/4.5-5.6IS | 17-55 f/2.8IS | 50 f/1.8 | 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 | 4x Godox AD360

AbPho
Goldmember
3,165 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 04, 2016 02:12 |  #6

This is the exact reason I stuck with the bodies that I have (50D, 5D2, 7D, 5D3). Their layouts are VERY similar. Having dual control dials and the top LCD panel/layout is so ingrained into my mind that going with a different layout is a chore. I'm still trying to get used to the 5D3's preview zoom controls. ;). Plus these bodies are a little bigger and fit my huge meat paws better.

I'm in Canada. Isn't that weird!

Poindexter
717 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Feb 2007
Post edited over 3 years ago by Poindexter.

Jan 04, 2016 08:29 |  #7

My wife uses the XSi and I have to help her out from time to time. She loves it because it is light and small and that's my primary dislike of that tiny Canon body: it hurts my hand to use it because I have to claw the thing. And yes, it takes a while to refigure-out the menu every time.

Like CyberDyne, I switch from the midsize to large bodies regularly. The 1DsIII & 7DII come out with me on almost every shoot. It is no issue (for me) to switch between those bodies, but man do I struggle with that Rebel.

flickr (external link) | SmugMug (external link) | Gear (external link)

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,103 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 04, 2016 10:07 |  #8

If you have plenty of time it doesn't matter so much, but when in a rush, I prefer to use something that's familiar to me.
There's of course a reason for why Canon very reluctantly move around anything on the 1D-series.

Anders

Frodge
Goldmember
3,080 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012
Post edited over 3 years ago by Frodge.

Jan 04, 2016 10:10 |  #9

I can switch from an M to a rebel to a 60d to a Yashica with no issues. Controls are all different. Not ideal, but maybe I just have good muscle memory.

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jan 04, 2016 11:18 |  #10

I've had Rebels (450D & 500D), mid-size (60D & 70D), and full-size (Elan 7, 5Dc, and 6D). I've never had problems moving between bodies. That said, my current setup of 70D & 6D are completely interchangeable in my hands. I have them setup nearly the same. I can shoot and adjust either automatically. Chimping and some other non-shooting things still confuse me from time to time, though. (Like: 70D is set for continuous AF in LV; 6D can't do that. 6D has no touch screen.) I like having two very similar cameras. I miss nothing about the full-size bodies.

Ralph ­ III
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 04, 2016 19:35 |  #11

Thanks for all the input and it was helpful! I'm going to stick with a similar layout such as the 5d line or 7d/70d. It's just natural and instinctive to me.

I shoot mostly Manual mode in very fluid situations. So I'm often having to make adjustments blindly and quickly. It does amaze me there are folks who can constantly switch between different layouts with no issues though. That is very difficult for me.

God Bless,
Ralph

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"
POTN FEEDBACK...............ITEMS FOR SALE

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,354 posts
Gallery: 1718 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Jan 04, 2016 20:14 |  #12

Ralph III wrote in post #17844732 (external link)
Thanks for all the input and it was helpful! I'm going to stick with a similar layout such as the 5d line or 7d/70d. It's just natural and instinctive to me.

I shoot mostly Manual mode in very fluid situations. So I'm often having to make adjustments blindly and quickly. It does amaze me there are folks who can constantly switch between different layouts with no issues though. That is very difficult for me.

God Bless,
Ralph

Heya,

The 5D & 7D are quite similar in layout. I for one like them too (I have both), the wheel and joystick are great.

The 70D is not the same though. The 70D and Rebel line share similar ergonomics. Look and compare the 70D and the Rebel T6s. They are very similar in many respects (70D being the overall better camera).

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

dnauer
529 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 06, 2016 20:48 |  #13

MalVeauX wrote in post #17844779 (external link)
Heya,

The 5D & 7D are quite similar in layout. I for one like them too (I have both), the wheel and joystick are great.

The 70D is not the same though. The 70D and Rebel line share similar ergonomics. Look and compare the 70D and the Rebel T6s. They are very similar in many respects (70D being the overall better camera).

Very best,

I agree -- I went from a 40D to a 70D and they are different. However, I had little trouble adapting to those differences, and love the touchscreen. I thought I'd miss the joystick but haven't -- and heck, I have 8 more focus points and STILL didn't miss the joy stick.

frankchn
459 posts
Joined Jun 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by frankchn.

Jan 06, 2016 20:52 as a reply to  @ dnauer's post |  #14

I use a 5D3, 5Ds R and a 1D X in shoots (theater, dance, etc...). The 5D3 and the 5Ds R have basically the exact same controls so that is great for me, but sometimes I get a bit annoyed when switching between the 1D X and the 5-series cameras (the ISO, AF mode, and drive buttons buttons are in different places).

raksphoto
508 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 07, 2016 08:59 |  #15

The multicontroller (joystick) that started with the 20D is just integral to the ergometrics; and it's lack is why I find the Rebel series bodies harder to use.

2x 7D Mark II | 70D | 5DSr
EF-S 10-18mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM |
EF-S 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM | EF 70-200mm f/4L |
EF 135mm f/2L | EF 100mm f/2 | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.2L | EF 35mm f/1.4L EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM MACRO

sponsored links

3,186 views & 1 like for this thread
Have you changed Camera's and what about Camera Ergonomics?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.