Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 06 Jan 2016 (Wednesday) 21:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Nikon is Feeding Canon its lunch....and them some

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
11,327 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007
Post edited over 4 years ago by umphotography.

Jan 07, 2016 10:02 |  #46

Wilt wrote in post #17848344 (external link)
While Sigma does offer a nice full array of products, it does need to overcome the hurdles of its past history

• Need to re-chip lenses for newer models (and it stops rechipping at some point)...admittedly the new plug in updates helps!
  • Higher incidence than other lens brands of needing to send a new lens in for focus error adjustment (and coming back unchanged, to the frustration of owners)

A number of folks have bad taste in their mouth left from bad experiences like these. Hard to 'eat Canon's lunch' under those perceptions.

Well I agree with every word you said

But  :p

IF they come out with a 500F/4 and OS at 1/3 the price, Myself and others will take the chance. Their 24-105 F/4 was a solid lens. So they probably have the technology to give Canon a run for its $$$. A 500 F/4 that works from Sigma at the 3K price market is going to turn a lot of heads v/s 9K for Canons F/4........here is the deal....None of us are getting paid enough $$ for commercial work, especially wildlife commercial work to be able to afford to step up to some of canons very best

500F4 is 9K
200-400F/4 is 11K

No Doubt--- superb glass--- but who the heck can justify that except a hobbyist or gearhead

Sigma gets a decent 500F/4 and people will line up to buy it if its priced right. You can bet Sigma knows this very well. Im betting they will have one out sooner v/s later. They will sell 5:1 compared to canon and with a 3 yr warranty...people will take the chance...especially with a company like B&H and Adorama...not 100% right...ship it back...takes a lot of the risk factor out of the equations

But I get your point

Hoping the 1Dx2 and 5D4 have 150 focal points and 90 cross points with -4 EV that works and great sensors again. Please canon get off the PFS crutch and get something in the ballpark

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,756 posts
Gallery: 68 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 07, 2016 10:05 |  #47

Alveric wrote in post #17847775 (external link)
Like any of us with a considerable number of Canon and for Canon glass is going to trample a vast number of unwary pedestrians in our stampede towards the store to buy a Nikon camera that simply does a few more tricks. Yes, there might be a few gearheads that will sell everything on eBay just to keep up with the Joneses, but the rest of us continue enjoying our Canon cameras. Heh, I'm still doing professional work with a 5D2.

My thoughts exactly.

Canon hit a home run with the 100-400II. Nothing that Nikon has offered makes me want to jump ship.

When you see my camera gear you'll think I'm a pro.
When you see my photos you'll know that I'm not.

panicatnabisco
972 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Apr 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by panicatnabisco. (3 edits in all)

Jan 07, 2016 13:02 |  #48

I hope all the gear heads and hobbyist make a mass exodus to Nikon so they can flood the used market with all that glorious canon glass.

Canon 1DX III | 1DX | 6D II | 6D | 16-35/2.8 II | 24-70/2.8 II | 35/1.4 II | 50/1.8 | 70-200/2.8 IS II | 85/1.4 IS | 100/2.8 IS macro | 200mm f/2 | 400/2.8 IS II | 2xIII
Leica M8.2 | Noctilux 50 f/1 | Elmarit 90/2.8
afimages.net (external link) | Facebook (external link) | instagram (external link)

PeterAlex7
159 posts
Joined Dec 2015

Jan 07, 2016 13:17 |  #49

Dont compare a 4 years old 1dx with a brand new nikon D5.

Nikon is not as popular as canon, canon always beat nikon in product selling without special efforts, because of their brand. No wonder why nikon is in rampage mode now on developing their future products.

Trvlr323
Goldmember
3,290 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 07, 2016 13:22 |  #50

PeterAlex7 wrote in post #17848597 (external link)

Nikon is not as popular as canon, canon always beat nikon in product selling without special efforts, because of their brand. No wonder why nikon is in rampage mode now on developing their future products.

Without special efforts and because of the brand? So all of the innovations and technology that have made Canon's bodies so successful and their glass so desirable all happened through complacency and lack of effort? What exactly do you think it takes to build a brand?

Sometimes not taking a photograph can be as problematic as taking one. - Alex Webb

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
11,327 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 07, 2016 13:46 |  #51

PeterAlex7 wrote in post #17848597 (external link)

I think you are missing the point entirely

Since the 1Dx and 5D3 introductions Nikon has done the following ( thanks Thomas campbell for bringing this to my attention )

Nikon, since the D800/D4 about the same time as the 5D3/1DX...

D600
D610
D750
D810
D810a
Df - (but only single slot)
D4s
D5
D500

Canon has done Jack squat

This is so reminiscent of pocket wizard and others who rested on their past accomplishments instead of pushing the envelop further.

If this Sensor is a bust on the 1Dx2, canon will be in deep dog Doo Doo

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 07, 2016 13:51 |  #52

umphotography wrote in post #17848646 (external link)

Since the 1Dx and 5D3 introductions Nikon has done the following ( thanks Thomas campbell for bringing this to my attention )

D600
D610
D750
D810
D810a
D4s
D5
D500

Well, Canon has put out the 6D, 5Ds, and 5Dsr and a load of crop bodies so it's not exactly Jack squat.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
11,327 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 07, 2016 13:58 |  #53

And I dont know what world you live in but in the wedding and portrait photography world, Nikon is every bit as popular as Canon

The world that canon caters to ( sports and wildlife) cannot sustain itself much longer for professionals. There is not enough $$ in it and working pros are not going to dump tons of $$ into technology that wont pay for and sustain itself for their business models.

Honestly, you dont see a ton of wedding guys or portrait guys using top of the line bodies. But you do see many of them using step downs like the 5D3 and d750's as the technology creeps into those sensors and price points. I dont see a huge market for the D5 right now. But that technology will creep into lesser bodies and thats what most working pros are hoping for that I Know. That being said, I know a lot of guys are hoping the D5 is a big hit because the D4s will be able to be had for a song and dance on the used markets

Canon has much riding on this 1Dx2 update. If they totally redesign and update the sensors and put D5 and D4s technology in the update...No One will want the 1Dx current model. Its gonna be really interesting to see what they do. They are very far behind the curve right now. Could very well be make or break time in the Canon camp.

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

frankchn
460 posts
Joined Jun 2009
Post edited over 4 years ago by frankchn.

Jan 07, 2016 13:59 as a reply to  @ umphotography's post |  #54

To be fair, the D610, D810, D810a, Df and D4s are all in minor/niche updates or to fix existing issues (e.g. D610 for D600 dust/oil issues) or niche products (Df), and the D500 is not a FF camera. That leaves us with D600, D750 and the D5 as major FF products from Nikon.

Against that, Canon have released the 6D and the 5Ds/5DsR (I consider those one camera), and will release a successor to the 1D-X next month. Not particularly terrible if you ask me.

Dmab
Goldmember
1,208 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 07, 2016 14:01 |  #55

umphotography wrote in post #17847721 (external link)
With the D5 release you have to really wonder WTH is going on with canon. The D5 SMOKES the 1Dx Everyplace.

The D500 is out and the D750 is a great camera.

They better have an answer because if they dont, there is going to be a mass exit to the darker side

really disappointed in Canon right now. And Ive been with them since 1974. The gap has never been this bad

Oh for god's sake -- the 1Dx came out in 2012, right?

Dan
=======
Gear List

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
11,327 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 07, 2016 14:03 |  #56

gjl711 wrote in post #17848662 (external link)
Well, Canon has put out the 6D, 5Ds, and 5Dsr and a load of crop bodies so it's not exactly Jack squat.

Please

The 6D is an introduction to full frame body for amateurs that had many pros using because it was a cheap 2nd body that did the trick while we wait

The 5Ds and 5Dsr are specialty cameras made for a certain class of photographers ( landscape mainly and people that need capability )

I dont find these bodies relevant at all to people who are using 5D3's or the 1Dx bodies- Unless they need a cheap 2nd back up body-- hello 6D

Mike
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 07, 2016 14:12 |  #57

umphotography wrote in post #17848679 (external link)
Please

The 6D is an introduction to full frame body for amateurs that had many pros using because it was a cheap 2nd body that did the trick while we wait

The 5Ds and 5Dsr are specialty cameras made for a certain class of photographers ( landscape mainly and people that need capability )

I dont find these bodies relevant at all to people who are using 5D3's or the 1Dx bodies- Unless they need a cheap 2nd back up body-- hello 6D

Then why include the D600, D610, and D750 in your Nikon list as they too are targeted to amateurs and the Df is a bit of a specialty camera targeted towards hipsters. ;):) and the D810a for astro guys and the D500 is a DX body. So really the list should be The D810 and the D5

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

204 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 07, 2016 14:41 |  #58

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #17848376 (external link)
My thoughts exactly.

Canon hit a home run with the 100-400II. Nothing that Nikon has offered makes me want to jump ship.

Yup!

CB

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,681 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 07, 2016 14:42 |  #59

umphotography wrote in post #17848646 (external link)

D600
D610
D750
D810
D810a
D4s
D5
D500

This is so reminiscent of pocket wizard and others who rested on their past accomplishments instead of pushing the envelop further.

If this Sensor is a bust on the 1Dx2, canon will be in deep dog Doo Doo

c'mon my pocket wizard flex units work great as an incredibly expensive dummy trigger for my strobes LOL!!!! That's all those things are good for :)

I really do wonder what Canon R&D does. The company seems to have alot of earwax and does not listen to their loyal Canon followers.

I do not have the time of $$$ to dump my entire canon gear for a different brand. I will patiently wait for whatever Canon put out in the next while.

If Canon follows the path they've been taking for many many years I think the 1dx mk2 will be a disappointment in noise control if you compare it to the superior Sony sensor.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Sigma 24-70 ART | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 35 f/1.2 | FE85 f/1.8 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

PNPhotography
805 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 07, 2016 14:50 |  #60

Bassat wrote in post #17848054 (external link)
I switched from film to digital about seven years ago. My choice of Canon was largely motivated by the large variety of relatively inexpensive, high quality lenses available compared to Nikon. That is still true. I've got about $10,000 worth of Canon glass and accessories in my closet. None of the cameras or lenses I already own got one iota worse because Nikon released a new body. Changing brands every time one or the other has a 'new and improved' something or other is a fool's errand. A very expensive one.

For the 99.7% of us who DON'T push our gear to the limit with every shot, Nikon's release is meaningless.

Open your eyes man,Nikon has been eating up Canon's lunch now (At least in camera bodies)for 8 years now.

6D|7D|7DMKII|Nikon D750|Nikon 85 F1.8|Nikon D5500|G15| Gripped|300F4|35F2IS|8​5 F1.8|135L F2|200L F2.8|17-55 F2.8|70-200L F2.8 MKII|430EX|
https://www.facebook.c​om …2755174446/?ref​=bookmarks (external link)

sponsored links

96,136 views & 414 likes for this thread
Nikon is Feeding Canon its lunch....and them some
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.