Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
Thread started 07 Jan 2016 (Thursday) 11:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Questions about fluid video heads and tripod combos

ChrisMc73
Goldmember
3,212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 07, 2016 11:40 |  #1

Hello,

I have a Gitzo GT3541LS systematic tripod that I use with my 5DMKII and Markins ball head for photography right now.
I'm wanting to start dipping into doing some video using these legs and a new fluid video head but I'm not sure what I need to get.

I'm going to assume I'll remove the Markins ball head, and then I'll just have this flat tripod where the fluid head will go.
The Manfrotto 502HD looks flat and might just go right on there and I'd be done? But what if I went with the 504HD it appears to have a different setup?
My plan is to just get some still video for my kids YouTube channel where they will just discuss and show off toys and video games.
There may be a few pan and tilts etc, and I also plan to eventually buy a Cinevate Duzi camera slider for some cool product shots etc.

So based on these two video heads or maybe something similar, what would I need to go with these legs I currently own? I don't think I need to invest in new tripod legs as these seem very capable?
I mean I suppose if the fluid video head came with some legs of its own and was reasonably priced, I'd consider it and just have a still camera setup and my video setup.

But I'm just curious what else I might need with this GT3541LS tripod, do I need to put a leveling base on? I know this tripod is a systematic and has other features with addons etc, do I need to use/get any of that?

Thanks for any advice.

sponsored links
SYS
Cream of the Crop
9,529 posts
Gallery: 162 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2004

Jan 07, 2016 14:08 |  #2

For your non-professional purposes, your current tripod is just fine and 502HD. I have a very similar set up and very happy with it.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

ChrisMc73
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 07, 2016 14:13 |  #3

SYS wrote in post #17848685 (external link)
For your non-professional purposes, your current tripod is just fine and 502HD. I have a very similar set up and very happy with it.

Ok and so was I correct that I won't need anything extra, this 502HD will just mount on my current tripod find and give me some smooth video pans?

Do you know the main difference in the 502HD and 504HD?

PhotosGuy
75,866 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jan 07, 2016 14:54 |  #4

My guess is that if you just found a way to extend the arms on your tripod, it would give you enough control to "just get some still video for my kids".
But for trying to keep up with kids, googling camera stabilizer found this: DIY $13 Camera Stabilizer (external link)

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

ChrisMc73
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,212 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 07, 2016 15:02 |  #5

PhotosGuy wrote in post #17848743 (external link)
My guess is that if you just found a way to extend the arms on your tripod, it would give you enough control to "just get some still video for my kids".
But for trying to keep up with kids, googling camera stabilizer found this: DIY $13 Camera Stabilizer (external link)

Yeah I don't need the stabilizer, they just want to sit at a table and do video reviews of toys and I want to review tech gadgets and gear etc. So its just a single frame.
But I want to use the tilt and pans to get cool product shots of the toys and tech gear etc...so thats why I want the fluid head.

SYS
Cream of the Crop
9,529 posts
Gallery: 162 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2004

Jan 07, 2016 16:26 |  #6

ChrisMc73 wrote in post #17848690 (external link)
Ok and so was I correct that I won't need anything extra, this 502HD will just mount on my current tripod find and give me some smooth video pans?

Do you know the main difference in the 502HD and 504HD?

Yes, that's all you need as long as the screw on your tripod and the hole on the 502HD fit. I have the earlier version of the 502HD, and I'm very happy with it, so I don't see any justification for paying $400+ for the 504HD. Other than that, I don't know the difference, but you can get that info easily from Amazon.com or BH Photo site.

"Life is short, art is long..."
-Goethe
My Gear

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,070 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 08, 2016 12:21 |  #7

I'm in a similar scenario, got a cheapo Yuteng YT-950. Aside from the leaking grease and crap build, I think it'll serve it's purposes. The trick with these chinese crap is that they usually leak grease, so you tighten all the knobs, leave overnight, and use some oil and rag to clean off the excess grease. The panning is good, smooth. By all means, buy the manfrotto if you've got the budget. I was dabbing with 4K, so I'll likely do more videos, and the YT was cheap enough to experiment. FWIW, I have my tripod head setup as a leveling base, attached a nodal rail so I can still have an arca swiss attachment.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

Nightstalker
Goldmember
1,666 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Jan 17, 2016 05:13 |  #8

The main difference between the 502 and the 504 head is that the 502 will mount directly to a flat base tripod (like the one that you have) and the 504 won't.

Video tripods usually come with a "bowl" or "socket" and the head has the opposite "ball" attachment.

The head attaches to the legs by friction and by slackening the ball you can easily level the tripod head in all directions so that it remains level when panning.

Using the 502 head, you have to level the camera by making adjustments to the legs and this can sometimes be tricky and time consuming to do.

I have just recently purchased the dedicated video Manfrotto 546BK Video Tripod With 504HD Head having previously worked with a flat base fluid head and I must say that the difference is night and day when it comes to ease of use and also stability.

sponsored links

3,237 views & 2 likes for this thread
Questions about fluid video heads and tripod combos
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Video and Sound Editing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.