Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 06 Jan 2016 (Wednesday) 21:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Nikon is Feeding Canon its lunch....and them some

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
7,726 posts
Gallery: 141 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jan 07, 2016 14:52 |  #61

13867 wrote in post #17848722 (external link)
Yup!

CB

I'm not a Nikon user but it's just an obvious matter of time for them to build an equivalent lens performing equally or better than the new Canon 100-400L mk2. That push/pull lens was Lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnng overdue with the consumer grade optics of the Mk1. I was truly disappointed in that push/pull lens. Even a flagship Micro 4/3 body and cheap Variable aperture 100-300 super zoom would be easily on par with a Canon full frame and Old 100-400L.

I'll admit the new 100-400L mk2 is a bargain price for a flexible zoom in that range. Most wildlife shooters I know use long primes$$$$$$$$$$

If canon used a sony sensor in a 1dx mk2 and kept option identical to the original 1dx the Canon users would be in heaven!!

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji - gone
Sony 2 x A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Sigma 24-70 ART | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Sigma ART 35 f/1.2 | FE85 f/1.8 | Sigma ART 105 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS & V1S

sponsored links
don1163
Goldmember
1,000 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined May 2015

Jan 07, 2016 15:16 |  #62

umphotography wrote in post #17848263 (external link)
The D5s is going to be an impressive release. ISO and AF performance /improvements are going to make it a game changer. 99 cross points. Holy crapola thats amazing. The number of focal points and im going to bet that 25K iso will be a completely usable file are going to be impressive. -4 EV.....wow

Really hoping Canon can keep up

I think it is going to be a great camera but not a game changer.... Canon make some great cameras and I am sure that what they release later in the year will probably be at least as good as Nikon's latest offerings......
Personally I don't get jealous and upset as soon as Nikon brings out a new camera with more whistles and bells on it, I have been buying Canon cameras since the early 80s and have been more than happy with every one that I have owned...
I think that people who have to have the latest/best gear no matter what will never be happy, always be chasing something better and always be losing money on their gear..Find a camera that suits your needs and does what you require it to and get out and enjoy your photography....

1DX, 500L f4, 70-200L f2.8II, 100L f2.8 macro ,16-35 f4, 1.4xIII, Metz 64-AF1

don1163
Goldmember
1,000 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Joined May 2015

Jan 07, 2016 15:28 |  #63

umphotography wrote in post #17848679 (external link)
Please

The 6D is an introduction to full frame body for amateurs that had many pros using because it was a cheap 2nd body that did the trick while we wait

The 5Ds and 5Dsr are specialty cameras made for a certain class of photographers ( landscape mainly and people that need capability )

I dont find these bodies relevant at all to people who are using 5D3's or the 1Dx bodies- Unless they need a cheap 2nd back up body-- hello 6D

My 6D with my 500f4 will put out images as good if not better than either your 5DIII or your 7 DII ....fact....not bad for an introduction camera eh..

1DX, 500L f4, 70-200L f2.8II, 100L f2.8 macro ,16-35 f4, 1.4xIII, Metz 64-AF1

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
6,583 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2013

Jan 07, 2016 15:31 |  #64

This entire thread has me chuckling... :-P

Canon will bring it... dont'cha all worry bout it.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 16 1.4 - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

welshwizard1971
Goldmember
1,450 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 07, 2016 15:33 |  #65

I wonder if Ferrari owners chop in their cars when Lamborghini bring out a car with a better stereo? Isn't it amazing that the 5D3 is still considered one of the best all round cameras on the market, THE best according to some, 4 years after it came out? And factor in the glass, the back up, the handling etc etc.... Quite happy with my kit thanks :)

EOS R 5D III, 40D, 16-35L 35 ART 50 ART 100L macro, 24-70 L Mk2, 135L 200L 70-200L f4 IS
Hype chimping - The act of looking at your screen after every shot, then wildly behaving like it's the best picture in the world, to try and impress other photographers around you.

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
11,358 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 07, 2016 16:02 |  #66

don1163 wrote in post #17848790 (external link)
My 6D with my 500f4 will put out images as good if not better than either your 5DIII or your 7 DII ....fact....not bad for an introduction camera eh..

Providing the 9 AF points hit your target and work and of course it will not give you the reach factor of the 1.6 crop sensor or the 1Dx AF system that is in the 7D2. The 7D2 does not miss when set up properly and A1 servo is the best I have ever used.

But you will get decent images with a 6D

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,047 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Post edited over 4 years ago by Wilt. (6 edits in all)

Jan 07, 2016 16:02 |  #67

canon rookie wrote in post #17848734 (external link)
Open your eyes man,Nikon has been eating up Canon's lunch now (At least in camera bodies)for 8 years now.

I sought comparative performance statements in DPReview.com camera tests, to see if I could discern a trend in comparative performance over time. Unfortunately there are few comparisons over the past 2 years of the higher end cameras.
I color coded the comments, so that at a glance we could see how the Nikon-Canon balance of power fared. Blue = tie, Green = Canon, Red = Nikon

• 2007, D300 vs. 40D RAW : "Switching to a standard RAW converter (in this case our benchmark; Adobe Camera RAW) means that the image processing pipeline is equalized between the cameras. Both cameras gain from the use of ACR with images looking considerably sharper and better detailed than their JPEG equivalents. There is now a more obvious advantage to the D300, better defined areas of fine detail and more texture, although as previously mentioned you would need to be outputing at a very large size for these differences to be noticeable.

• 2008, D700 vs. 5D RAW: "Taking the in-camera processing out of the equation shows that at base ISO these two cameras produce very similar results. The D700's RAW files produce better sharpness and detail than its JPG counterparts but the 5D has a weaker anti alias filter and therefore produces an even marginally finer resolution and better 'per pixel' sharpness than the Nikon. In any case you'll have to indulge in some serious pixel-peeping to spot a difference (especially after adding a tad of additional sharpening to the D700's images). -- dpreview.com"

• 2008, Nikon D3 (RAW) vs. Canon EOS-1DS Mark III (RAW): " Shooting RAW equalizing the amount of software sharpening to the output of the D3 and 1DS Mark III produces no surprises; the cameras would appear to be very similar indeed in terms of per-pixel sharpness and obviously have a similar strength AA filter. So the difference (at base ISO) comes down to how much resolution you need; the 1-DS Mark III's 1000 pixel or so advantage in both horizontal and vertical directions (912 vertically by 1360 horizontally to be precise) means more resolution and more fine detail and the ability to produce larger prints or crop more aggressively. Of course whether you actually need that much resolution is another matter altogether, and will vary from photographer to photographer."

• 2009, Nikon D3X vs. Canon 5DII: "For the purpose of this comparison we have also included the new Canon EOS 5D Mark II (at lower sensitivities its output is virtually identical to the EOS-1Ds Mark III), which does a slightly better job at high ISOs than its bigger brother. It's pretty much on par with the D3X showing comparable detail at ISO 1600. At the highest sensitivities Canon's stronger luminance noise reduction results in some blurring of detail, but there's also visibly less grain than in the D3X image, giving a more appealing overall result."

• 2010, NikonD3S vs. Canon 1DIV: " the extra resolution of the Canon EOS 1D Mark IV's sensor pays off in slightly better detail capture, although the advantage is only slight in practical terms. The only area of this scene in which the Canon has unequivocally managed to capture more detail is in the finest engraving lines in the third crop from the top, which are undoubtedly better defined (though softer) than the D3S, which simply lacks the pixels to render the finest lines accurately. At their respective pixel counts, it is debatable whether either camera could perform any better. In both cases, pixel level image quality is excellent."

• 2012, Nikon D800/D800E vs. Canon 5DIII: "With the D800 arriving in camera shops alongside its chief competitor, the Canon EOS 5D Mark III, we have two well built photographic tools that are capable of outstanding images. While the 36MP D800 has the resolution advantage over its 22MP rival, it's wise to take note of other differences, like maximum frame rate; here the 5D Mark III takes the edge at 6fps vs 4fps (FX mode)....The specification commanding the most attention with the D800 is undoubtedly its 36.3MP resolution sensor and you can read the resolution page of this review to see just just what this means in our testing environment. Yet, in the real world there is more to image quality than pixel count. After spending a lot of time shooting with, and evaluating images from the D800, it is in characteristics like noise reduction, dynamic range and metering that we find ourselves most impressed.
    "The camera's metering and auto white balance algorithms produce generally pleasing images in a variety of both natural and artificial lighting scenarios. Color reproduction is fairly accurate overall, with the D800 sensibly erring a bit on the conservative side, yielding a more subtle 'unprocessed' rendering that can be adjusted post-capture rather than 'over the top' colors and contrast that are difficult to later undo.
    "At ISO sensitivity settings up to 6400, chroma noise is kept at stunningly low levels even at the camera's default JPEG settings. It's clear to us that Nikon has not sacrificed low light performance for a high pixel numbers. In our noise comparisons with the 22MP Canon EOS 5D Mark III, the D800 arguably produces slightly better results in terms of shadow detail."

• 2014, Nikon D750 v. Canon 6D: "Nikon's latest midrange full-frame camera is the 24 megapixel D750, which is at the same level as the aging Canon EOS 6D and Sony's recently announced Alpha 7 II."

We do know that in recent years the Sony sensor have given Nikon advantage over not only Canon, but over Sony as well! So if there is any 'lunch eating', I would submit it has NOT been over the past 8 years, but only the past 1-2 years.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,885 posts
Gallery: 73 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 07, 2016 16:30 |  #68

Guess the OP will soon be selling off his Canon gear.

When you see my camera gear you'll think I'm a pro.
When you see my photos you'll know that I'm not.

My best aviation photos (external link)

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jan 07, 2016 16:41 |  #69
bannedPermanent ban

canon rookie wrote in post #17848734 (external link)
Open your eyes man,Nikon has been eating up Canon's lunch now (At least in camera bodies)for 8 years now.

And which one of those releases makes any of my Canon gear any worse than when I bought it? I prefer to work on my composition, lighting and processing skills, rather than chase the latest whiz-bang toy. I'll worry about upgrading when my skills outpace my hardware. Been at this more than 50 years. I don't see it happening. Jeez, I'd still be shooting film if I could get it processed locally and overnight for a reasonable price.

Bassat
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jan 07, 2016 16:53 |  #70
bannedPermanent ban

AlanU wrote in post #17848740 (external link)
I'm not a Nikon user but it's just an obvious matter of time for them to build an equivalent lens performing equally or better than the new Canon 100-400L mk2. That push/pull lens was Lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnng overdue with the consumer grade optics of the Mk1. I was truly disappointed in that push/pull lens. Even a flagship Micro 4/3 body and cheap Variable aperture 100-300 super zoom would be easily on par with a Canon full frame and Old 100-400L.

I'll admit the new 100-400L mk2 is a bargain price for a flexible zoom in that range. Most wildlife shooters I know use long primes$$$$$$$$$$

If canon used a sony sensor in a 1dx mk2 and kept option identical to the original 1dx the Canon users would be in heaven!!

I hear that drivel a lot. Mostly generated by folks with no first hand knowledge of the 100-400L, I'm guessing. Lots of interweb chatter about how fantastic the 70-300L is. At the wide end, it is phenomenal. At the long end it is a dog (optically) compared to the original 100-400L. The the 100-400L is better at 300mm, at any aperture, than is the 70-300L. The 100-400L is as good at 400mm as the 70-300L is at 300mm. Want consumer glass? Look at the 55-250 (any flavor) or the 70-300 non-L. The 100-400L outclasses both of them, handily. The push/pull zoom of the old lens is faster and more intuitive than any twist zoom will ever be.

The 100-400L does have it share of issues. It can't take a (any!?!) filters. The IS is of little use, but some is better than none. No doubt, the 100-400L II is a superior lens. The long end is phenomenal. The IS works. But the price tag is a deal-breaker for lots of folks. When I paid $1600 for my new 100-400L about 4 years ago, I thought it was overly expensive, but there was no competition. Now that it is going used for about $700, it is a steal.

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
16,376 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 07, 2016 16:54 |  #71

Bassat wrote in post #17848909 (external link)
And which one of those releases makes any of my Canon gear any worse than when I bought it? I prefer to work on my composition, lighting and processing skills, rather than chase the latest whiz-bang toy. I'll worry about upgrading when my skills outpace my hardware. Been at this more than 50 years. I don't see it happening. Jeez, I'd still be shooting film if I could get it processed locally and overnight for a reasonable price.

the canon's are no worse, however, when a direct competitor is pushing the envelope at a high pace, you've got to take notice. Nikon feels the heat from the mirrorless segment, thus pumping out high end bodies that show their dominance....... which get the canon guys all riled up because of the glacial speed of improvement by canon.

Sony A7riii/A9 - SY 24/2.8 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Tamron 17-28/2.8 - 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

Tyguy
504 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Sep 2014

Jan 07, 2016 17:03 |  #72

Perfectly Frank wrote in post #17848900 (external link)
Guess the OP will soon be selling off his Canon gear.

I sure hope so. I buy used only. If OP and everybody else bails the Canon boat for the Nikon boat then I'll be expecting a few good deals!

-Tyler
flickr (external link)

Bassat
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jan 07, 2016 17:08 |  #73
bannedPermanent ban

Charlie wrote in post #17848927 (external link)
the canon's are no worse, however, when a direct competitor is pushing the envelope at a high pace, you've got to take notice. Nikon feels the heat from the mirrorless segment, thus pumping out high end bodies that show their dominance....... which get the canon guys all riled up because of the glacial speed of improvement by canon.

I am happy with my Canon equipment. I don't understand why anything that anyone does after the purchase of equipment I have in my closet has any impact on the stuff I already own. I was happy with it yesterday. I am supposed to start crying now that another maker has released a superior product? Really? I still ride a 5 year old FLHTK. New models have newer features. Who cares?

Pagman
I just hold the thing :-)
9,443 posts
Gallery: 2213 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 07, 2016 17:13 |  #74

I had the Nikon D7100 and loved it - its best point was its sensor (low noise and DR), its worst was its AF accuracy.

I have the 7d mk1 and love it - its best point is its AF accuracy, its worst is its sensor (noise and DR).

To be fair when i used the D7100 i was using a second hand 70-300Vr and perhaps had a bad copy, but on my 7d i am using a very sharp and new 55-250STM, i would not be supprised if the D7100 was better than the 70-300VR lens and the 55-250STM is sharper than the 7d mk1?

P.

Some stuff.

Bassat
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jan 07, 2016 17:15 as a reply to  @ Pagman's post |  #75
bannedPermanent ban

Nice 'copter shot Pagman.

sponsored links

97,086 views & 414 likes for this thread
Nikon is Feeding Canon its lunch....and them some
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.