Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 15 Aug 2014 (Friday) 15:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Adorama Rovelight RL 600, thoughts?

OceanRipple*
841 posts
Joined Dec 2014
Post edited over 3 years ago by OceanRipple*. (3 edits in all)

Jan 02, 2016 14:32 |  #1276

enginyr wrote in post #17841504 (external link)
How are you triggering your Rovel with your mitros+ in HSS

Hi, A Mitros + 'Plus' works just like an Odin TCU to provide the early 'HSS like' trigger signal. I use a Strato II Rx wired to my Jinbei/Rovelight with the latter providing long duration flashes when set to 'H'. (You could use an Odin Rx unit but it costs more unless you already have a spare.)
Image with Strato II:
https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=17729217

The Mitros + must have HSS showing on its screen and Channel & Group must be set appropriately.

This is 'Supersync' so there is a gradient across the frame - with Canon, that's darker at the top (landscape) as the image is normally viewed. There are techniques at the shooting stage which somewhat ameliorate the visibility of the gradient.
https://photography-on-the.net …showthread.php?​p=17771268

sponsored links
enginyr
990 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 02, 2016 14:41 as a reply to  @ OceanRipple*'s post |  #1277

I'm using nikon and have 5 Mitros+. Was hoping not to have to buy anymore triggers. I wish the optical slave with trigger the HSS

LA Wedding photographer (external link) Stunning Bride Photographers.

OceanRipple*
841 posts
Joined Dec 2014
Post edited over 3 years ago by OceanRipple*. (2 edits in all)

Jan 02, 2016 14:48 |  #1278

enginyr wrote in post #17841603 (external link)
I'm using nikon and have 5 Mitros+. Was hoping not to have to buy anymore triggers. I wish the optical slave with trigger the HSS

Hi, I see. You might run into problems with 'Pre-flash' even when your Mitros+s are running in M - I'm not certain as I have not tried what you are suggesting. Since you are using radio for everything else, I'd suggest picking up a single Stroto II Rx unit (& cable). I may test your idea . . .

. . . I gave it a go, but it seems that enabling the optical slave takes the unit out of 'H' and vice versa. I suppose you could try rigging up an external optical slave - but - I'd go with a Strato II. Cheers

enginyr
990 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 02, 2016 15:04 as a reply to  @ OceanRipple*'s post |  #1279

There are two Slave modes that let you cancel 1 2 or more pre-flashes on the Rovel

OceanRipple*
841 posts
Joined Dec 2014

Jan 02, 2016 15:10 as a reply to  @ enginyr's post |  #1280

Hi, Yes, but can you enable 'H' simultaneously with either optical mode?

enginyr
990 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 04, 2016 17:16 as a reply to  @ OceanRipple*'s post |  #1281

either way "H" doesn't work with optical triggering :(

Luxx
478 posts
Joined Jan 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by Luxx.

Jan 06, 2016 14:30 |  #1282

I've been reading this thread and considering buying one of these and saw the bowers mount is currently $400 vs $600 for the flashpoint mount. Is this a good price?

And could you use it along with 600exrt if triggering with ste3 and the yongnuo receiver?

enginyr
990 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Jan 07, 2016 02:54 as a reply to  @ Luxx's post |  #1283

yes you can optically or wired trigger them.

The problem I'm having with them is not being able to shoot @ f1.4 to f2.5 without using an ND filter indoors with headshots @ iso 64 through double baffle softboxes

OceanRipple*
841 posts
Joined Dec 2014
Post edited over 3 years ago by OceanRipple*. (2 edits in all)

Jan 07, 2016 03:25 as a reply to  @ Luxx's post |  #1284

" .. And could you use it along with 600exrt if triggering with ste3 and the yongnuo receiver? .. "

I'm not an RT user, but yes, that should allow both conventional triggering and early 'HSS like' timed triggering. Your 600ExRT could be pulsing in HSS simultaneously with your Rovelight offering a long duration flash after the same early trigger signal.

ndrr13
37 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 07, 2016 12:11 |  #1285

Is there anyone that hasn't recieved their replacement trigger? I've submitted the request form twice since my intial submission in October, I'm just curious.

EmaginePixel
Goldmember
1,944 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 07, 2016 16:14 as a reply to  @ ndrr13's post |  #1286

I'm still waiting for the trigger replacement. Helen sent me an email last week indicating that the replacements will go out the first couple of weeks in the new year.

"Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That’s why its called the present” - Kung Fu Panda
EmaginePixel.com website (external link) ----- SportsShooter profile (external link) ----- Facebook page (external link)

BJ_Nguyen
406 posts
Gallery: 143 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 07, 2016 16:52 |  #1287

I got mine last week after contacted Helen. She is pretty awesome ! Now I'm waiting for pre-paid label to return the old one.

DavidN4
48 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 07, 2016 21:09 as a reply to  @ ndrr13's post |  #1288

I submitted mine around that same time. Still haven't heard anything from them.

dusik77
114 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 07, 2016 23:29 |  #1289

did mine about 2-3 weeks ago and nothing yet..

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,281 posts
Gallery: 1696 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by MalVeauX.

Jan 07, 2016 23:49 |  #1290

enginyr wrote in post #17848028 (external link)
The problem I'm having with them is not being able to shoot @ f1.4 to f2.5 without using an ND filter indoors with headshots @ iso 64 through double baffle softboxes

But, indoors why would you use a 600ws strobe for F1.4?

If you truly need to do that, don't use a softbox, use an inefficient large modifier and put it far away from the subject. A 60" umbrella as a bounce, very far from subject. You should be able to manage something at 1/200, F1.4, ISO 100. And you can add things to the modifier to knock down more light if needed.

But really, at F1.4, a speedlite at low power will do.

Or, just go into long burn HSS with the Rovelight and shoot at F1.4 if you want, with the shutter speed to stop it.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

sponsored links

440,241 views & 481 likes for this thread
Adorama Rovelight RL 600, thoughts?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.