Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk 
Thread started 05 Jan 2016 (Tuesday) 04:54
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

macro flash

Sophia ­ Scott
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jan 05, 2016 04:54 |  #1

Hello, I want to deal with macro photography. I have a EOS REBEL T2i and would like a help on how to start looking for a macro ring flash. I thought to http://www.macroringfl​ash.com/meike-fc100/ (external link) but I'm not sure if it's the right decision. Thoughts?

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,233 posts
Gallery: 1652 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Jan 05, 2016 06:56 |  #2

Sophia Scott wrote in post #17845094 (external link)
Hello, I want to deal with macro photography. I have a EOS REBEL T2i and would like a help on how to start looking for a macro ring flash. I thought to http://www.macroringfl​ash.com/meike-fc100/ (external link) but I'm not sure if it's the right decision. Thoughts?

Heya,

Depends on what you want to do. That LED ring light isn't bright enough for still shot macro with a stopped down aperture for depth of field (think F8, F11 which is typical of macro). That light is basically a focus aid, or ok for fill light if your have a wide aperture and do not stop down (F2.8, F4, etc). It's just not that bright.

I would just use a normal speedlight with a diffuser.

If you want to use a ring light, I would still use a diffuser (a DIY setup). Yongnuo makes a nice ring light for a good price.

But really, a $40~50 manual speedlite flash and a DIY diffuser is the cheaper, better solution for light.

But it mostly depends of course on what you're actually wanting to do macro of.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Atsumi
594 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 08, 2016 09:33 |  #3

I second a normal speedlite with a diffuser. A bracket to get it too the side of the camera and closer to the lens would be beneficial as well.

-Tiffany
Canon 5D Mark II / Rebel XT / 18-55mm / 24-105mm f4 L IS/ 50mm f1.8 / 70-200mm f4 L / 85mm f/1.2 L II /100mm f2.8 macro / 430EX II
[[Flickr (external link)]] [[Twitter (external link)]]

davholla
Goldmember
1,173 posts
Gallery: 187 photos
Joined Nov 2014

Jan 13, 2016 06:12 |  #4

Atsumi wrote in post #17849768 (external link)
I second a normal speedlite with a diffuser. A bracket to get it too the side of the camera and closer to the lens would be beneficial as well.

That can be a good idea, although I found it too difficult to setup.
This is quite good although you need to cover the light with some thing (e.g. toilet paper) to avoid getting reflections

Atsumi
594 posts
Joined May 2007

Jan 13, 2016 14:37 |  #5

davholla wrote in post #17856366 (external link)
That can be a good idea, although I found it too difficult to setup.
This is quite good although you need to cover the light with some thing (e.g. toilet paper) to avoid getting reflections

I made a box lined with aluminum foil with a paper towel diffuser, then stuck a white card on the other side of the lens to redirect some light.

-Tiffany
Canon 5D Mark II / Rebel XT / 18-55mm / 24-105mm f4 L IS/ 50mm f1.8 / 70-200mm f4 L / 85mm f/1.2 L II /100mm f2.8 macro / 430EX II
[[Flickr (external link)]] [[Twitter (external link)]]

orionmystery
Cream of the Crop
12,073 posts
Joined Apr 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by orionmystery. (2 edits in all)

Jan 14, 2016 08:44 |  #6

Agree. All you need is a speedlite and a DIY diffuser.

I use either a Canon 270EX (external link)

or a Nissin i40 (external link)

I like these two because they are light weight.

IMAGE: https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8483/8284000386_6bc1f13223.jpg

As for DIY Diffusers, check out this link for ideas: http://orionmystery.bl​ogspot.my/2010/12/more​-macro-rigs.html (external link)

Kurt
Upcoming Borneo Herp Tour: Nov 17, 2019; Jan 5, 2020.
Borneo Herp Tour Nov 4, 2018 (external link)

sponsored links

3,047 views & 0 likes for this thread
macro flash
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Macro Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.