Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 05 Jan 2016 (Tuesday) 14:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sensitive social photography project help.

bernard0368
178 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 05, 2016 14:09 |  #1

I am looking to start a project to highlight suicide.
I lost my own son last year to suicide as such I am aware of the sensitivity of the issue for the survivors.
I have an idea in regards to the shots I want to take and the plan not to show the act or identify anyone.
The Photos will only be titled using initials age and the date of death.
I am hoping if the project is good enough to exhibit it as a means of highlighting the extent of the issue here and the lack of government support.

The problem is I have no idea of how to go about this. Most of my photography is nature and purely for my own enjoyment. I have never done anything like this.
Any help or guidance would be great.
Thanks

Canon 7D, , canon 100L macro,28-135 is, nifty fifty, canon 100-400L. canon 70-200L and lots of bits and pieces

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,283 posts
Gallery: 1696 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Jan 05, 2016 14:15 |  #2

Hrm,

I guess it depends on how you want to showcase it. What kind of message you want to create. What kind of emotions and moods you want to evoke.

My immediate thought was black & white, low key, high drama lighting via speedlites/strobes, showcasing different ages, sexes, etc, in various settings that produce an emotion or mood.

Then my second thought was the bright, smiling photo of others, all ages and sexes, showing how something like suicide can be behind a bright smile and you not know it.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,586 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Jan 05, 2016 14:16 |  #3

After losing my best friend a few months ago to suicide I've been considering doing a video or shoot of some sort too, but like you I couldn't think of how to approach it and frankly it's too painful for me to piece together.

Best of luck in figuring something out and I'm sorry for your loss.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

Silver-Halide
819 posts
Joined Jan 2015

Jan 05, 2016 22:12 |  #4

So sorry for your loss. :-(

I hope your tribute to your son can help someone else out who is walking through a dark time. God bless.

Echoes in Eternity LLC | Tucson and Southern Arizona Wedding Photographer (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,360 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jan 05, 2016 22:28 |  #5

Sadly a far to common theme. I am also working on a project along similar lines.

I think before you can decide how to do it you need to have a clear idea of what you want to do. Once you have decided what you want to say/show it becomes much easier to work out what style of photography would suit.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Gungnir
693 posts
Gallery: 37 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Jan 06, 2016 02:31 |  #6

Lost my soul-mate to suicide six years ago. Also felt the need at the time to highlight the lack of real support from overstretched mental health services in the UK.

Perhaps go to support groups asking for input from sufferers of depression and their friends/families?

I'm sure you've found those of us touched by suicide tend to form a bond quite quickly. It's liberating and therapeutic to speak freely with people who just understand without need of explanation.

Steve
'Be the person your dog thinks you are'
#freetommy

bernard0368
THREAD ­ STARTER
178 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 06, 2016 05:31 |  #7

Thanks everyone,
I have a fair idea as to the shots and how I wish portray the idea.
The areas I am struggling with are.
How would I go about promoting it.
I think Gungnir answered my next one. I do feel those who have lost do form a bond.
Should I.
Is it a good idea.

Thanks

Canon 7D, , canon 100L macro,28-135 is, nifty fifty, canon 100-400L. canon 70-200L and lots of bits and pieces

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 06, 2016 06:00 |  #8

Do it with but three images...an autopsy photo, a funeral photo, and a surviving family photo.

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,853 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Jan 06, 2016 07:25 |  #9

bernard0368 wrote in post #17846551 (external link)
How would I go about promoting it.

Should I.
Is it a good idea.

Thanks

Art isn't created because you think others will find it to be a good idea. It is an expression of who you are regardless of whether there is a market for the end product. I'm not using the term "market" in the commercial sense but more as a way of describing whether the goal of an exhibit to promote awareness is viable.

I would suggest getting all thoughts of pleasing other people out of your head. Concentrate on your vision and doing a good job representing the people who have been lost. If I am to make some assumptions, all that is truly important is creating a bond with others in a similar situation, and creating a memorial of sorts to the lost loved ones. I think if you forget about all the rest you will be more free to express your vision. In the end that will make your project more heartfelt to both the people involved in its creation and to the general public. If you can be true to your vision and it eventually provokes a response, public awareness will happen without much work.

Hope all of you who have lost loved ones find peace.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

groundloop
981 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jan 06, 2016 08:44 |  #10

My step-sister took her life several years ago, I just recently found out that she was the victim of spousal abuse. If I were to attempt to do any photos depicting this I'd try to find some way to illustrate the bruised victim being hit, the victim suffering in silence, the abusing spouse appearing to outsiders as a wonderful person, and maybe a 'freedom moment' when the abused spouse escapes the situation (which unfortunately doesn't happen often enough). I have no clue how I'd approach the project, I'm not nearly as artistically inclined as others here. I applaud your efforts.

bernard0368
THREAD ­ STARTER
178 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 07, 2016 16:49 |  #11

@ left hand brisket, I think you that you have summed it very well, thanks.
I have decided to go ahead with this project. I hope I will do my son and those survivors I am about to approach justice.

Alveric
Goldmember
4,598 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 07, 2016 17:06 |  #12
bannedPermanent ban

With our governments legalising euthanasia and doctor-assisted suicide, it's highly unlikely you'll get any success with making them more aware of this problem and/or getting any support or 'justice'. Nor do we need any more legislation, really; frankly, all this cumbersome overlegislation is one of the reasons that pushes some people off the cliff.

Thus, I'd suggest you aim your project more towards your son's memory and reaching out to individual persons instead of social activism. On the other hand, you can also help those who see nothing but darkness, within and without, by continuing your nature photography and exhibiting it. Shewing people that in spite of all the weltschmerz there's still goodness and beauty in this broken world is not only a step in the right direction, but usually more effective than the shocking value and/or the presentation of a false alternative that some of them are seriously considering.

Just a thought.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

greyswan
Goldmember
1,109 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Dec 2007
Post edited over 3 years ago by greyswan. (2 edits in all)

Jan 08, 2016 05:56 |  #13

bernard0368 wrote in post #17848920 (external link)
@ left hand brisket, I think you that you have summed it very well, thanks.
I have decided to go ahead with this project. I hope I will do my son and those survivors I am about to approach justice.

I can't begin to know the extent of your loss, as I have only had distant experience with this kind of sadness, but I do know, that as an artist, my best pieces have come from the heart. Start your project and you will feel the flow begin, and it will take it's own direction.

Left Handed Brisket accurately summed up the reason for art IMO.

Chris
A clean house is a sign that my computer's broken...
gallery:https://ephemerastudio​.smugmug.com/ (external link)
Gear: 50D, 300 f4L, 70-200 f4L, 100 1.28 Macro, nifty fifty.

tonylong
...winded
54,657 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 08, 2016 16:52 |  #14

OK, so...I don't know how to respond to this...

I lost a loved one to apparent suicide, gosh, 45 years ago...

And then, I lost a son 22 years ago to a car accident, not suicide, but still, we have to deal with loss, including the loss of my brother who was murdered not quite 10 years ago...

I guess what I'd like to express is that the depth of loss is not so suiting to just having a photo "gallery" because there is so much to bring across, but I don't know what I'd suggest there...sure I have some photos, but nothing that will convey...

But some of the comments here do convey something meaningful, if you put together something that can convey, then more power to you...!!!

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBase (external link)
Wildlife project pics here (external link), Biking Photog shoots here (external link), "Suburbia" project here (external link)! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here (external link)

kryptic4l
53 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 08, 2016 17:29 |  #15

Seems like your intentions are pure, I would not worry about stepping on toes. If someone is offended, they got other issues of their own they need to deal with, it's not about them - it will never be about them.

As far as using intials, I am not sure what is to gain from it, the basics such as age / gender should be sufficient to drive the point home.

sponsored links

2,834 views & 8 likes for this thread
Sensitive social photography project help.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.