Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 17 Dec 2014 (Wednesday) 10:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Review WOW!

IanD
Cream of the Crop
Honorary Moderator
5,342 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Dec 2003

Jan 07, 2016 09:44 |  #2821

Picked up my copy of this lens last week and was pretty amazed at the results on my 7D MKII. Had the chance to sneak out of work and head over to my local "testing" grounds, the Eco Museum. Decided to toss on the Canon 1.4x II extender and see what the results would be. Like others, it blew me away. I had sold off my old version a couple of years ago and have been shooting primes, Canon 300 F4L and the trusty 400 F5.6L.
The 300 was sold this morning. Going to hold onto the 400 for a while longer. I love that lens for BIF plus being an old man, weight is important :)
The two images below were shot in RAW and converted to JPG. Straight off the card, no processing.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Ian (®Feathers & Fur)
Have You Hugged Your Mallard Today?
More Images- (external link)My Gear
flickr

sponsored links
CyberDyneSystems
THREAD ­ STARTER
Admin (type T-2000)
48,415 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 07, 2016 16:46 |  #2822

Looks good!

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

bidkev
Goldmember
4,564 posts
Gallery: 1955 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jul 2013

Jan 08, 2016 04:23 |  #2823

Pondrader wrote in post #17848052 (external link)
Thanks Kim, on hoping to get one more day in this week. Hope there's i little more light on friday

Jeff, I see you work in the snow a lot. Do you wrap your camera in a polyethelene bag when you step indoors into the warm?

I stepped out of the air conditioned car at the supermart today into a very hot outside after a rain shower and my glasses steamed up. I walked straight into a litter bin! :oops: :lol:It got me to thinking about how this lens will fare in the rainforest for 4 consecutive days within the next fortnight. I've had a 6 hr session but 4 days of total immersion in damp/humid 30dC/86dF has got me to worrying.:rolleyes: If it was a prime I wouldn't worry so much but just how good are the seals on this lens anyone? I think Medicine Man recently got back from some similar climate or am I mistaken?

See my fishy photography here: https://kevindickinson​fineartphot.smugmug.co​m/Tropical-Fish-2/ (external link)
Olympus E-M5 gripped | Olympus OM-D E-M5 mkll gripped | Olympus OM-D E-M10 mkll gripped | Olympus Zuicko 12-40 2.8 pro | 40-150 | 75-300 |45mm 1.8 | 17mm 1.8 | 60mm 2.8 macro |Panasonic 12-32

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
14,072 posts
Gallery: 2031 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 08, 2016 04:40 as a reply to  @ bidkev's post |  #2824

lol 5:35am ,...Im heading out the door but thanks for the laugh this morning. No... no bag,...I got to get a gopro

Jeff ........7D Mark II, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
14,598 posts
Gallery: 1376 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Jul 2013

Jan 08, 2016 08:54 |  #2825

Kevin, we were in Costa Rica in November-very rain forest like. Each night I'd put the bodies and lenses into a 4 gallon ziplock. In that ziplock I'd placed a bunch of these:
http://www.amazon.com …nts-Packets/dp/B004FC5VT4 (external link)
Every 3 or 4 days when we had the opportonity I'd remove the silica gel packs and 'cook' them in a microwave to drive off the moisture and re-energize them so-to-speak.
The ziplock and packets were lightweight insurance policy.
When were in Kaktovik we did the same thing since condensation can happend whether going hot to cold or cold to hot.

You didnt ask me so hope you don't mind me butting in.

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

tvphotog
Cream of the Crop
6,093 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007
Post edited over 2 years ago by tvphotog. (5 edits in all)

Jan 08, 2016 11:45 |  #2826

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #17849723 (external link)
Kevin, we were in Costa Rica in November-very rain forest like. Each night I'd put the bodies and lenses into a 4 gallon ziplock. In that ziplock I'd placed a bunch of these:
Every 3 or 4 days when we had the opportonity I'd remove the silica gel packs and 'cook' them in a microwave to drive off the moisture and re-energize them so-to-speak.
When were in Kaktovik we did the same thing since condensation can happend whether going hot to cold or cold to hot.

I don't want to hijack the thread, just some more info for you. I've used these dessicant containers (external link), which are larger, not breakable like the tea bags, and are easier to dry in the oven. Handy when you're going to use them over and over.

bidkev wrote in post #17849578 (external link)
Jeff, I see you work in the snow a lot. Do you wrap your camera in a polyethelene bag when you step indoors into the warm?

I use these Sea to Summit (external link) dry bags for trips to areas where condensation is an issue. They're bulletproof but very light weight and can stuff into your shirt or back pocket, let along in a camera bag. They make an ultralight which would work as well. I use different sizes for camera + lens, extra lenses, etc. A zip-top baggie is fine for occasional use, but these are more failure-proof.

Photos courtesy Amazon and REI

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Jay
Ireland in Word and Image (external link) Jay Ben Images (external link)5D IV | 5DS/R | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400 IIL | 16-35 f/2.8 IIL | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L | 35mm f/1.4L | 70-200 f/2.8L II | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins Q3T lever QR | Gitzo 3542L Markins Qi20 BV-22 | Gitzo 5561T RRS MH-02

bidkev
Goldmember
4,564 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Jan 08, 2016 19:00 |  #2827

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #17849723 (external link)

Not at all mate and thanks

See my fishy photography here: https://kevindickinson​fineartphot.smugmug.co​m/Tropical-Fish-2/ (external link)
Olympus E-M5 gripped | Olympus OM-D E-M5 mkll gripped | Olympus OM-D E-M10 mkll gripped | Olympus Zuicko 12-40 2.8 pro | 40-150 | 75-300 |45mm 1.8 | 17mm 1.8 | 60mm 2.8 macro |Panasonic 12-32

bidkev
Goldmember
4,564 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Jan 08, 2016 19:03 |  #2828

tvphotog wrote in post #17849915 (external link)
I don't want to hijack the thread, just some more info for you. I've used these dessicant containers (external link), which are larger, not breakable like the tea bags, and are easier to dry in the oven. Handy when you're going to use them over and over.

I use these Sea to Summit (external link) dry bags for trips to areas where condensation is an issue. They're bulletproof but very light weight and can stuff into your shirt or back pocket, let along in a camera bag. They make an ultralight which would work as well. I use different sizes for camera + lens, extra lenses, etc. A zip-top baggie is fine for occasional use, but these are more failure-proof.

Photos courtesy Amazon and REI

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by tvphotog in
./showthread.php?p=178​49915&i=i27363089
forum: Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by tvphotog in
./showthread.php?p=178​49915&i=i127063193
forum: Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Yeah, I've got the "cookable) dessicant packs for normal Queensland storage but I'm more worried about having the combo hung round my neck all day and the zooming in and out.

stsva
Cream of the Crop
6,360 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited over 2 years ago by stsva.

Jan 08, 2016 19:19 |  #2829

bidkev wrote in post #17850438 (external link)
Yeah, I've got the "cookable) dessicant packs for normal Queensland storage but I'm more worried about having the combo hung round my neck all day and the zooming in and out.

The lens is supposed to be well-sealed if you have a filter on - we're looking at you to be the test case. :-)

Some Canon stuff and a little bit of Yongnuo.
http://www.pbase.com/s​tsva/profile (external link)
Member of the GIYF
Club and
HAMSTTR
┘ę Breeders Club https://photography-on-the.net …=744235&highlig​ht=hamsttr Join today!
Image Editing OK

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
4,951 posts
Gallery: 88 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 08, 2016 23:44 |  #2830

stsva wrote in post #17850450 (external link)
The lens is supposed to be well-sealed if you have a filter on - we're looking at you to be the test case. :-)

The lens can be no more sealed than your lungs. Zoom in the lens breathes in, zoom out the lens breathes out.

The "sealing" works like the skin and skull of your head, stops the rain making your brain wet.
Your lungs still breathe in humid air if you are in a humid environment.

For Kev's situation, I believe the real problem is not the humid air. It is changing from different temperatures quickly.
For this reason, if I'm on a road trip, I avoid using air con and try to keep the temps in the car roughly the same as outside.
For the same reason, I would avoid going from, for example, hot outside area into a cool cave, without using some method of slowing the temp change for camera gear.

Kev, while using your lens in the predicted environment, I believe "using the lens" is what prevents a problem, by using the lens it is being exposed to UV light, preventing mould. Similar to the way you can drive your car through the rainforest and don't expect mould to start growing inside your car. Hose the inside of your car, wind up windows and leave it in a dark garage and you'll soon have mould.

I have a dry cabinet at home to store my gear. Therefore for periods where it is not getting UV exposure the humidity is lowered to prevent mould.

Dave
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/12185187@N00/ (external link)
1DX2, 1D4, 1DS2. Canon, Sigma lenses
Image editing OK

Vertigo1
310 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 09, 2016 04:06 |  #2831

stsva wrote in post #17850450 (external link)

It doesn't need a filter to complete the weather sealing, contrary to reports in some places, notably the Digital Picture site.

Canon 5D3/6D | EF 16-35 f/4L IS | EF 24-70 f/2.8L II | EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS II | EF 35 f/1.4L II | EF 50 f/1.4

bidkev
Goldmember
4,564 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Jan 09, 2016 05:05 |  #2832

Thinking about it, the likely ingress of humidity would be through the zoom section so a thin polythene bag with a hole in the bottom to fit the barrel secured with elastic bands could be the best bet and allow for zooming

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,207 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 09, 2016 08:17 |  #2833

I posted this in the 7D2 forum but I'll throw this in here. This is one of the few images I did not have to crop. Almost All I crop are at least 25% or more.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i33.photobucket​.com …_zps3ttkc8uy.jp​g~original (external link)

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Douglas ­ Conway
227 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Aug 2012

Jan 09, 2016 08:36 |  #2834

Choderboy wrote in post #17850673 (external link)
The lens can be no more sealed than your lungs. Zoom in the lens breathes in, zoom out the lens breathes out.

The "sealing" works like the skin and skull of your head, stops the rain making your brain wet.
Your lungs still breathe in humid air if you are in a humid environment.

For Kev's situation, I believe the real problem is not the humid air. It is changing from different temperatures quickly.
For this reason, if I'm on a road trip, I avoid using air con and try to keep the temps in the car roughly the same as outside.
For the same reason, I would avoid going from, for example, hot outside area into a cool cave, without using some method of slowing the temp change for camera gear.

Kev, while using your lens in the predicted environment, I believe "using the lens" is what prevents a problem, by using the lens it is being exposed to UV light, preventing mould. Similar to the way you can drive your car through the rainforest and don't expect mould to start growing inside your car. Hose the inside of your car, wind up windows and leave it in a dark garage and you'll soon have mould.

I have a dry cabinet at home to store my gear. Therefore for periods where it is not getting UV exposure the humidity is lowered to prevent mould.

Found that the temperature change is a big problem when in hot climates. It would take at least an hour to warm the lens up after taking out of an air conditioned room. Learned this the hard way.

Ybnormel

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
13,207 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Post edited over 2 years ago by digital paradise.

Jan 09, 2016 10:35 |  #2835

Douglas Conway wrote in post #17850966 (external link)
Found that the temperature change is a big problem when in hot climates. It would take at least an hour to warm the lens up after taking out of an air conditioned room. Learned this the hard way.

When really humid I always put my stuff in a zip lock bag and give it a while to climatize. Kinda the opposite from going from freezing weather to indoors. I imagine not opening the camera bag for a while would be the same. That is what I do when coming in from cold weather.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

sponsored links

2,111,914 views & 21,332 likes for this thread
EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Review WOW!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.