Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings 
Thread started 15 Jul 2010 (Thursday) 14:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography

jnecr
170 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2015

Jan 07, 2016 17:14 |  #7621

PhotogHobbyist wrote in post #17847478 (external link)
Cozy little big bedroom.

HOSTED PHOTO DISPLAY FAILED: ATTACH id 768437 has been deleted. ]

Is this room pentagon shape or is this an artifact of getting 4 walls in the pic?

-John

sponsored links
cccc
Goldmember
2,017 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 08, 2016 00:49 as a reply to  @ post 17849357 |  #7622

A 2.8 aperture won't help you unless you are shooting at 2.8... Which I hope you aren't...

Overcast days are harder because you have less ambient sunlight coming through the windows. Generally you should just decrease your shutter speed. But if you aren't getting enough power from your flash, take it off camera and boost your ISO.

PhotosGuy
75,886 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jan 08, 2016 07:39 |  #7623

PhotogHobbyist wrote in post #17849357 (external link)
The low outside light conditions, coupled with the UWA lens led to underexposed images across the board. I'm wondering if the 16-35 f2.8 might help on overcast days where there isn't as much light coming thru the windows.

The outside light should have little to do with underexposed images inside. I'm thinking that you didn't write what you were thinking, or you have a fundamental misunderstanding of how the exposure triangle works?

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

jnecr
170 posts
Joined Sep 2015

Jan 08, 2016 21:46 |  #7624

PhotogHobbyist wrote in post #17849357 (external link)
I'm wondering if the 16-35 f2.8 might help on overcast days where there isn't as much light coming thru the windows.

A tripod is a must. You shouldn't shoot at 2.8 anyways. I usually go for f/9 or thereabouts...

-John

cccc
Goldmember
2,017 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 09, 2016 12:17 as a reply to  @ post 17851152 |  #7625

Are you trolling?

jnecr
170 posts
Joined Sep 2015

Jan 09, 2016 12:30 |  #7626

cccc wrote in post #17851210 (external link)
Are you trolling?

It's a sad state of affairs when you have to ask that question, and I do wonder myself..

-John

rgs
Goldmember
2,331 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 09, 2016 13:57 |  #7627

PhotogHobbyist wrote in post #17851152 (external link)
Tripod is great, but very time consuming for shooting listings, no?

NO! The exposure flexibility and framing discipline are far more important than moving a bit faster. Besides you only set it up once and then just move and adjust it. It's very fast and the increased quality is substantial. And if you do any exposure blending, you MUST use a tripod.

In fact you are much more limited without it.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

The Singular Image (external link)Richard Smith Photography (external link)
Richard Smith Real Estate Photography (external link)500PX (external link)
Fine Art America (external link)

jnecr
170 posts
Joined Sep 2015

Jan 09, 2016 14:32 |  #7628

PhotogHobbyist wrote in post #17851326 (external link)
Makes perfect sense in the context you described. With unlimited time, I understand the benefits of a tripod for IQ. Thanks!

It doesn't take any extra time with a tripod, you set it up once and then just carry it around from room to room. You either need to use flashes with some Photoshop masking or bracketed exposures to get good photos, I can't imagine doing it without a tripod.

-John

cccc
Goldmember
2,017 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Jan 09, 2016 15:02 |  #7629

PhotogHobbyist wrote in post #17851372 (external link)
I will also try with a tripod and see how that goes. That's what I love about Photography, the seemingly endless possibilities for creating images.

To call your artistic process "wrong" would be ignorant, so I'll refrain. I will say that high quality images are derived from control. The more control you give up, the less likely you are to capture the best shot.

Scott ­ Spellman
203 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2015
Post edited over 3 years ago by Scott Spellman. (2 edits in all)

Jan 09, 2016 15:09 |  #7630

PhotogHobbyist wrote in post #17851152 (external link)
Tripod is great, but very time consuming for shooting listings, no?

Not at all more time consuming and gives you full flexibility over exposure since shutter speed is no longer a concern. Plus your photos will probably require less straightening and vertical correction if they are more level, and its the only way to blend exposures if necessary.

jnecr
170 posts
Joined Sep 2015

Jan 09, 2016 15:39 |  #7631

Scott Spellman wrote in post #17851392 (external link)
Not at all more time consuming and gives you full flexibility over exposure since shutter speed is no longer a concern. Plus 1) your photos will probably require less straightening and vertical correction if they are more level, and its the only way to blend exposures if necessary.

That's right, I usually shoot a 5 bracket series +-2 EV. At ISO100, f/9 my +2EV exposure usually comes to a 2 second shutter speed. Sometimes longer if the room is dark (bedroom with only one ceiling light). I don't like to go any longer as it can introduce some significant noise from the sensor as it heats up, but most of the time I'm not using much from that exposure anyways. IS isn't going to help with this situation.

Now certainly this is not the only way to do it, but I think you'll find that a tripod will give you a lot of consistency in your photos. Also remember that it will allow you to always shoot the photos from the same height which is generally a good thing to keep a consistent flow to the pictures.

-John

tytlyf
129 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2015
Post edited over 3 years ago by tytlyf.

Jan 09, 2016 16:45 |  #7632

A couple from the other day

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon 6D - 16-35 F/4L IS - 24-105 F/4L IS
www.FLREphotography.co​m
flickr (external link)

rgs
Goldmember
2,331 posts
Joined Jun 2007
Post edited over 3 years ago by rgs.

Jan 09, 2016 20:21 |  #7633

PhotogHobbyist wrote in post #17851472 (external link)
It's all about control in a studio, but scenarios change as you move through a home. I feel the tripod may be somewhat limiting because of this reason, but will try it out soon.

What is limiting is your steadfast determination to work hand held. You are limiting yourself to hand holdable shutter speeds - which is why you have trouble balancing with outside light on a cloudy day. You are also limiting yourself to daytime work. No twilight or night photography because you can't hand hold it. You are making it more difficult to use multiple and/or off camera flash. You are probably limiting the precision with which you frame a room and, regardless of what you think, making brackets that can be blended effectively hand held is VERY difficult. You can always quickly remove the camera from the tripod when really needed, but, without the tripod, you lose all of the capability listed above. And a monopod won't help. That's for sports and wildlife.

All this you are sacrificing because you think you need to put a camera in a tight place. Put your camera on a tripod. Tether you camera to your phone or tablet with DSLR Controller (external link). Mount the phone to the tripod with this (external link) (I mount mine to my center column). You can put your camera in any tight spot (or anyplace else) you want and use the phone remote to control all the functions.

Scenes change but, to be consistent, the camera height (which should really be about the middle of the chest - not eye level) should remain the same much of the time. It is about control - just not the same kind as a studio.

Now, if you will permit me, I'm going to get personal and I hope you will accept my remarks in the spirit in which they are intended - that is to help and not to offend.

You seem to respond to criticism with defensiveness and excuses. You've been given some very good advice on this thread from some experienced photographers who know how to produce what clients want. Take advantage of their help instead of drawing artistic lines. These guys know their stuff. Real estate photography has one purpose - to sell the property. Although we want it to look great, it's not about artistic integrity or individuality. First you must produce what your clients (please listen to their criticisms and don't argue with them - they know what sells) want. If you can add some more creative work after the nuts and bolts work is finished, that's a big plus. But first, provide the client with standard, clean, top quality real estate photography that meets the client's needs.

And don't be in such a hurry to trip the shutter - take time to see first. Have you ever used a view camera? You really should if you have access to one. It's great discipline for both the eye and the technique.

Canon 7d MkII, Canon 50D, Pentax 67, Canon 30D, Baker Custom 4x5, Canon EF 24-104mm f4, Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5, 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC

rgs
Goldmember
2,331 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 09, 2016 20:24 |  #7634

PhotogHobbyist wrote in post #17851611 (external link)
Beautiful

Indeed!!

rgs
Goldmember
2,331 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 09, 2016 20:34 |  #7635

Two from a recent house. New construction.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

2,067,575 views & 1,711 likes for this thread
A thread for real estate, architectural, and interior design photography
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.