Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 23 Dec 2015 (Wednesday) 13:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Beginner Sports Photographer

n1as
Goldmember
2,327 posts
Joined Oct 2007
Post edited over 3 years ago by n1as.

Jan 09, 2016 19:47 |  #121

First do NOT buy a non-Canon lens. Tamron, Sigma, Tokina - doesn't matter. You need top notch AF performance and all of the 3rd party lenses fall short in that area. Shoot, even some of the Canon lenses fall short in that regard.

Best bang for the buck lenses for indoor HS basketball with a crop body are the 85 f/1.8 USM, followed by the 50 f/1.4 USM. I could easily shoot an entire game with my 7D-II and 85 f/1.8 and get plenty of keepers.

Shoot from under the basket. Manual mode. Shutter speed 1/640 or faster, aperture f/2.0, ISO whatever it takes to get a good exposure (histogram pushed to the right without clipping). Don't trust your light meter or auto mode since you'll be looking up into the lights and will end up with under exposed images.

Servo focus mode, center point only, high-speed repeat mode.

Shoot in RAW mode so you can do the NR you'll need and the custom white balance to get the shots to look correct (not orange or green).

Shoot for unblocked faces and the ball visible in each shot.

Piece of cake, right? :-)

Oh, wait, there are 8 pages to this thread. Oops. I read the first one only. I'm probably saying nothing new.

- Keith
http://darwinphoto.zen​folio.com (external link)

n1as
Goldmember
2,327 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 09, 2016 19:58 |  #122

Now that I've read most of the thread I have something else to say.

You need to learn the basics of photography. Get the book Understanding Exposure by Peterson and learn it. It is short & simple.

If you don't understand shutter speed, ISO, aperture what what constitutes a proper exposure than all you'll be doing is flailing around with "magic settings" trying to get something that is working.

Basics first. Exposure.

Then we can start to talk about the nuances of action photography.

- Keith
http://darwinphoto.zen​folio.com (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

17,746 views & 49 likes for this thread
Beginner Sports Photographer
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.