Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 09 Jan 2016 (Saturday) 17:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photography during national anthem

PNPhotography
782 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 09, 2016 17:28 |  #1

I shoot alot of high school sports and twice now I 've gotten comments from someone saying I'm disrespecting the flag by shooting the teams and mooving around during the anthem.Anyone else been harrassed by someone who's thinking this way??Most of the teams I shoot for want to see these shots and as far as I 'm concerned it's a part of the event and I'm not disrespecting anything by doing my job. Thoughts?

6D|7D|7DMKII|Nikon D750|Nikon 85 F1.8|Nikon D5500|G15| Gripped|300F4|35F2IS|8​5 F1.8|135L F2|200L F2.8|17-55 F2.8|70-200L F2.8 MKII|430EX|
https://www.facebook.c​om …2755174446/?ref​=bookmarks (external link)

sponsored links
DGStinner
Goldmember
1,016 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Jan 2014

Jan 09, 2016 18:09 |  #2

I can understand why they would consider it disrespectful. In a way, you are dishonoring the flag and our country by taking photos during the national anthem instead of putting your hand over your heart and facing the flag.

One option would be to put your camera on a tripod, compose an image with the team about to honor the flag, take photos using a remote in your left hand while putting your right hand over your heart.

Dave Stinner
Gripped 7DII | 6DII
EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM | EF 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Rokinon 8mm | Sigma 150-600 | EF 24-105mm f/4L
flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)

rdalrt
Goldmember
1,647 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by rdalrt.

Jan 09, 2016 18:33 |  #3

I usually look around before the anthem for a shot I might like and get set. Then take the shot in the first few seconds of the anthem and be done with it. If it turns out, great, if not, oh well.

Just Sports Photographyexternal link
My Junk ;)

Jules ­ Winnfield ­ 2517
24 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Jan 09, 2016 19:51 |  #4

I had the opportunity to shoot some high school games this year and thought about this issue. I agree with you that these shots are part of what you are there to cover, but I also came to realize that there would be a segment of the audience that would view it as disrespectful.

During college and professional games, the photographers are up and shooting during the national anthem - at least that was my first thought. But at my events, the participants weren't used to having a photographer on the sidelines and probably view it as somewhat of an intrusion. Therefore, I decided that if I could stand at attention, and perhaps briefly drop to a knee for a shot, I would do so. And then return to a standing, respectful position. In the end, my positioning was such that there was no point in trying to get the shot, anyhow.

IMO it boils down to your relationship to the subject. Do you have a specific assignment? Do they really want those shots? Then you should go get them. In my case, it was more critical to be seemingly invisible and retain the goodwill of the school administrators.

PNPhotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
782 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 09, 2016 20:00 |  #5

I've talked to 3 or 4 of my photog buddies about this issue and only one thinks it's disrespectfull (older guy Nam vet) the others see no problem with it.I can surely think of other things that are alot more non patriotic than this.

6D|7D|7DMKII|Nikon D750|Nikon 85 F1.8|Nikon D5500|G15| Gripped|300F4|35F2IS|8​5 F1.8|135L F2|200L F2.8|17-55 F2.8|70-200L F2.8 MKII|430EX|

mathogre
Goldmember
3,506 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Mar 2009

Jan 09, 2016 20:28 |  #6

Usually I'm on the field during the national anthem (official photographer for the marching band), and I'll get a few photos - the football team, marching band, color guard, honor guard on military appreciation night, the flags - but I stay in place. Most of the time I'm standing at attention with my hand on my heart. It's a part of the event, so I get a few representative photos. Beyond that, I think it does become unnecessarily disruptive. I'm also the chair for our photography and media group. If I saw one of our photographers moving around a lot during the national anthem, I'd probably speak with them and ask them to please not do that. Those photos aren't ever going to be the big, important images. Yes, they're part of the story, but not that big of a part of it.

Graham
Canon A BIG ONE A Small One An itty bitty one
My Zenfolio Collection (external link)

Alveric
Goldmember
4,516 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 09, 2016 20:29 |  #7

Unless you are running around like a paparazzi, popping your flash like bonkers, and, in general, being a distraction to other people, there's no disrespect to the flag.

I'd just shoot as discreetly and as little as I could (the advice given above, be ready in advance, is a very good one) in order to avoid distractions and/or confrontations with people who might feel too strongly about the issue.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

PNPhotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
782 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jan 09, 2016 21:16 |  #8

Well I am pretty discreet about it and mostly stand facing the flag but usually pop off a few of the "line" of athletes facing the flag right at the beginning and right at the end. Last night though some lady didn't like it and said her peice to me. I just said it's part of my job and smiled.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,004 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 09, 2016 21:26 |  #9

People who object get more wrapped up in the show of patriotism than respecting the underlying freedoms. Ignore them if you can. If you must engage them explain that the first amendment is just as important important as the song.

pat.kane
622 posts
Joined May 2005

Jan 10, 2016 11:04 |  #10

It is part of the job and can be done discretely. I always get my shots and return to standing and facing the flag.

How else would we have these great shots?

https://www.google.com …nt&tbm=isch&tbs​=itp:photo (external link)

1Dx, 5D3 and some L glass (gear list / feedback)
http://MaxPreps.DMVpix​.com (external link)
http://www.DMVpix.com (external link)

FarmerTed1971
fondling the 5D4
5,908 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Joined Sep 2013

Jan 10, 2016 11:13 |  #11

I guess you have to weigh the benefit of the possible photos you'll make vs. the verbal abuse you may receive.

Me personally... I put the camera down, remove my hat and take a few moments.

Getting better at this - Fuji Xt-2 - Fuji X-Pro2 - Laowa 9mm - 18-55 - 23/35/50/90 f2 WR - 50-140 - flickr (external link) - www.scottaticephoto.co​m (external link)

abruckse
497 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 10, 2016 17:17 |  #12

It should be a non-issue so long as you're not being loud, obnoxious, or running around like a maniac. You are there to do a job. If you think a shot during the national anthem adds to the story, then by all means you should go for it. You are capturing emotion and patriotism... nothing disrespectful about that. Besides, at any level and especially the higher levels (College, Pro) there are countless people there running the event, running the broadcast, stadium sound, video board, etc. that are there to do a job and may be unable to stand at attention. It's just the reality of the situation.

Andrew
www.andrewbruckse.com (external link) | Instagram (external link)

geoff5093
972 posts
Joined Jul 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by geoff5093.

Jan 11, 2016 12:11 |  #13

I shoot a lot of high school sports as well. In my opinion, people want to see photos of their kids playing the sport, not photos of parents singing the national anthem. The players are typically on the opposite side of the field as well, with not very pleasing fences and buildings right behind them. I agree that from a photography perspective, you can get interesting and emotional photos from people singing the national anthem, but I'm there to shoot the sport so parents and players can see photos of them playing. I do take occasional fan photos, but that's usually after a score.

I always stand up and place my hat or hand over my heart during the entirety of the anthem. If I saw someone kneeling down snapping photos discretely I wouldn't think much of it, but when someone is standing in a position in the direct line of sight as the flag, or even worse moving around facing the crowd, I do find it disrespectful. The reason I don't find it as an issue during college or pro games is because you are often further from the fans, lower to the ground, and surrounded by other photographers or workers running the event. At most high school games you are only several feet from the small stands or on the sideline with parents.

5D Mark III
Canon 24-70L II | Canon 70-200 2.8L IS II | Tamron 150-600 | Sigma 35 1.4

figo
699 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jan 25, 2016 15:53 |  #14

I shoot during the anthem because you can get some great photos of the athletes getting into game mode. Try to avoid motoring but a click here and there isn't going to upset anyone.

Canon 1D MKIV, 1D MKIII, Canon 70-200 f2.8, Canon 400 f2.8, Canon 16-35mm f2.8.

wrwwoelfel
23 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Feb 2012

Jan 25, 2016 20:32 |  #15

As a veteran, I find it disrespectful if you are continually taking pictures during the entire national anthem. Take a couple at the beginning and leave it at that. And please, if you do have a hat on while taking pictures, please leave it off during the national anthem.

Canon t1i, EFS 18-200, and kit lens.

sponsored links

9,437 views & 15 likes for this thread
Photography during national anthem
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.