Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 11 Jan 2016 (Monday) 13:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Where will photography be in 20 years?

mannetti21
Goldmember
3,189 posts
Gallery: 129 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 11, 2016 13:05 |  #1

I had this conversation with a friend as we were driving around to different antique shops looking for old film cameras. Our general consensus was that digital photography seems headed for a plateau in the relatively near future. Sure, sensors will continue to advance in ISO and dynamic range performance, AF systems will become more and more accurate, and lenses will show less and less flaws...but considering what the current technology is capable of, what real difference will it make? Just for example, lets take a look at lens sharpness. Is any modern, "mid-grade" lens not sharp enough already? Heck, we now have a $150 50mm that is plenty sharp even wide open.

What room is there for improvement that will actually change photography in a significant way? This conversation came up because we were laughing about having tens of thousands of dollars of digital equipment between the two of us, and here we are looking for film equipment that, by any quantitative measure, is going to produce an inferior end result. Ironically, part of the reason we've started playing with film is to achieve images with a fresh look.

So what is next for photography? Are we headed back to film, continued slow advances in the same old tech specs, or is something entirely new going to come into play?

---------------
5D3, 5D4, 35Art, 50 f1.8 STM, 85 f1.8, 16-35L, 100-400L II
My Buyer/Seller Feedback

sponsored links
groundloop
981 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jan 11, 2016 13:36 |  #2

I read an article several months ago (can't remember where) which talked about sensor/lens combinations being developed where we could actually change the focus in post-processing, much the way that we now can easily manipulate exposure with a single slider in Lightroom. THAT would be pretty revolutionary, I believe.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jan 11, 2016 13:41 |  #3

There are at least three "revolutionary, not evolutionary" concepts either now available or in start-up mode. The Lytro (external link) offers photographers the ability to change focus point and DoF as part of their post-processing. Then there's the Light.co (external link) multi-lens/multi-focal length camera which promises high resolution and high ISO performance with low noise, and variable zoom within the camera's design limits in something little bigger than a cell phone. And several companies are working on cameras capable of real-time capture of 3D VR still and video images a la Google Streets.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Tedder
378 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 11, 2016 13:51 |  #4

I believe that people's attitudes will have a greater influence on the future of photography than will technological advancement.

Tedder Stephenson's Flickr (external link)
Various Items (external link) Mineral Matters (external link) The Bench (external link) Tracks (external link) Cars and Stripes (external link) Behind the Wheel (external link) Shadows of Turning (external link) Circles of Confusion (external link) Waterous Disturbulations (external link)

PhotosGuy
75,910 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jan 11, 2016 13:58 |  #5

You'll be able to look at a scene, think "CAPTURE-settings 3-CAPTURENOW" & the file will be waiting in your dropbox. ; )

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

kf095
Cream of the Crop
6,549 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 11, 2016 14:02 |  #6

Film, wet plates, instant film and digital are not superior or inferior to each other. They are different. You could have digital equipment for ten of thousands dollars, but your photography might remain inferior to some snapshot taken by school kid with instant camera.
And what concerns OP in terms of the gear it has nothing to do with photography and its future. Photography will be here as long as people with this vision are around:
"I photograph to find out what something will look like photographed". Garry Winogrand.

Cheers, Ko.

Old Site (external link). M-E and ME blog (external link). Film Flickr (external link). my DigitaL and AnaLog Gear.

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jan 11, 2016 14:04 |  #7

PhotosGuy wrote in post #17854069 (external link)
You'll be able to look at a scene, think "CAPTURE-settings 3-CAPTURENOW" & the file will be waiting in your dropbox. ; )

Ken Rockwell's had that for years! :{)#

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

PhotosGuy
75,910 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Jan 11, 2016 14:08 |  #8

IMAGE: http://img12.deviantart.net/fda1/i/2004/11/3/e/rim_shot_emoticon.gif

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
8,020 posts
Gallery: 543 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 11, 2016 14:08 |  #9

I only want that if they can fix my eyes! I have floaters, and that would be real bad from a photographic point of view. Oh and of course please find some way to incorporate the eq of a 600mm focal length, or would I still need to use a good pair of binos/spotting scope?:)

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

mannetti21
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,189 posts
Gallery: 129 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 11, 2016 14:11 |  #10

Jon wrote in post #17854047 (external link)
There are at least three "revolutionary, not evolutionary" concepts either now available or in start-up mode. The Lytro (external link) offers photographers the ability to change focus point and DoF as part of their post-processing. Then there's the Light.co (external link) multi-lens/multi-focal length camera which promises high resolution and high ISO performance with low noise, and variable zoom within the camera's design limits in something little bigger than a cell phone. And several companies are working on cameras capable of real-time capture of 3D VR still and video images a la Google Streets.

Being able to change your settings in post would be pretty remarkable. Something else that came up was that technology, to some extent, is taking away some of the challenge and satisfaction of creating an amazing image. There is so much more room for error in the digital world. Imagine simply pressing the shutter button with the camera pointed at a scene and then applying a Landscape Preset in Lightroom that gives you infinite DOF, ni motion blur, as much or as little grain as you want, and calculates optimal sharpening and color saturations. That can't possibly give you the same sense of accomplishment of having to get it right in camera while on location.

---------------
5D3, 5D4, 35Art, 50 f1.8 STM, 85 f1.8, 16-35L, 100-400L II
My Buyer/Seller Feedback

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,605 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 11, 2016 14:31 |  #11

I'm guessing that still photography as we know it today will be gone replaced by frame grabs from a video stream. 4k video is all over the place today and 8k is just behind. An 8k image covers just about anything that will be needed on any display device. Heck, might even have 16k or 32k by then. So, we all walk around with our streaming 8k Gopro glasses capturing every single thing we see. It's all instantly uploaded so when you return, you have every second of your life available as you saw it. We might even have personal drones hovering over our heads 24/7 making sure we are in the frame as well. :)

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,605 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 11, 2016 14:35 |  #12

Or...
With the advances in computational power and photo manipulation, we can conjure any image you can dream up and forego the whole photographic process entirely. Want a BIF picture, why spend hours in the bushes when you can come up with an award wining image with a few button clicks on Photoshop 2036. Once an image is digital, anything is possible.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

OhLook
you get what you get
19,336 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Jan 11, 2016 16:00 |  #13

gjl711 wrote in post #17854102 (external link)
Or...
With the advances in computational power and photo manipulation, we can conjure any image you can dream up and forego the whole photographic process entirely.

We've had that for years. It's called painting.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | Comments welcome

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jan 11, 2016 16:02 |  #14

gjl711 wrote in post #17854102 (external link)
Or...
With the advances in computational power and photo manipulation, we can conjure any image you can dream up and forego the whole photographic process entirely. Want a BIF picture, why spend hours in the bushes when you can come up with an award wining image with a few button clicks on Photoshop 2036. Once an image is digital, anything is possible.

Yeah, but somebody's got to get enough of an image to start with. If you have mad art skills, why would you bother with Photoshop of some photo you had to find and hope the creator captioned correctly? Just go with Illustrator and start from scratch.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels

NYS ­ Photo
117 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Jan 2016

Jan 11, 2016 17:34 |  #15

That would be kind of neat. Wear your iglasses, (as in apple product, not eye glasses) or google glasses. Go to camera mode and a frame pops up in your view, say(or think) take picture and it does

sponsored links

4,360 views & 8 likes for this thread
Where will photography be in 20 years?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.