Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 06 Jan 2016 (Wednesday) 13:32
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Pimp my bog

yeah1000
69 posts
Joined Feb 2005
Post edited over 5 years ago by yeah1000. (5 edits in all)

Jan 06, 2016 13:32 |  #1

Hi,
It was a nice sunny weekend and i decided to take a trip to a nearby bog. I had my camera with me but i'm now struggling with the PP. Usually i struggle with the PP for a while and then just leave my images as shot, since i cannot get the PP right. Naturally, this is something i would like to improve upon.

To me, the camera created JPG seems a bit underexposed and has a bit too much blue in the snow.

EMBED PREVENTED
CUSTOM DOWNLOAD SIZE LIMIT 2.5 MB EXCEEDED: 10.38 MB
https://googledrive.co​m …MNjNVQ3NIMnc/5D​3_6980.jpg

The RAW file is a hugely different, it is utterly dark and colorless, on the plus side it has preserved a lot of detail in the sky
https://drive.google.c​om …ufJIVc_gjHZFRlZ​3kzTTIyWkE (external link)

I spent a while trying to make something of the image but the best i could come up with, was this:

EMBED PREVENTED
CUSTOM DOWNLOAD SIZE LIMIT 2.5 MB EXCEEDED: 12.3 MB
https://googledrive.co​m …NjNVQ3NIMnc/Kak​erdaja.jpg

Edit: For some reason this looks a lot greener in the internet than when i open it on my PC. Some embedded color profile issue?

How would you have handled the situation? Would you rather have blown out the detail in the sky to avoid the underexposed snow and trees?

And most importantly, how would you process the RAW file? I am familiar with the mechanics of RAW conversion, i just cannot find the proper sliders for specific occasions.

Any tips and comments are also highly appreciated, thanks in advance!

sponsored links
flowrider
Goldmember
3,606 posts
Gallery: 127 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 06, 2016 13:34 |  #2

How about embedding the image so we don't have to click through a link and request permission to view? You'll get much more feedback this way.

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

sidknee
Goldmember
2,032 posts
Gallery: 1035 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Jan 06, 2016 14:02 |  #3

flowrider wrote in post #17847093 (external link)
How about embedding the image so we don't have to click through a link and request permission to view? You'll get much more feedback this way.

Or at the very least link them from somewhere public, I'm certainly not in the market to sign up for a google drive account, or any other account for that matter, to be able to see them. Dropbox is free.

yeah1000
THREAD ­ STARTER
69 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 06, 2016 14:09 as a reply to  @ flowrider's post |  #4

Okay, i finally figured out how to get full size image links from google drive and added the jpg files as embedded resources. This however does not seem to be possible with the RAW file..

Benitoite
Goldmember
4,786 posts
Gallery: 438 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2015

Jan 07, 2016 01:38 |  #5

SOOC:

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Results of Fattal HDR algorithm in Luminance HDR

HOSTED PHOTO

Benitoite
Goldmember
4,786 posts
Gallery: 438 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2015

Jan 07, 2016 01:44 |  #6

Results of Mantiuk algorithm:

HOSTED PHOTO

Composite of various methodologies:

HOSTED PHOTO

Niteclicks
161 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Jan 12, 2016 15:28 |  #7

Done w/ DPP 4

HOSTED PHOTO

ejenner
Goldmember
3,867 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Joined Nov 2011
Post edited over 5 years ago by ejenner.

Jan 14, 2016 22:18 |  #8

I guess this doesn't help, but I would have shot it on a tripod and bracketed exposures and shot a 'dark' exposure at f16 for the sun. Then blended them.

I think I like the link or DPP versions the best. I like the shot, but the sun blown out and the shape it produces spoils it a bit for me.

Edward Jenner
5DIV, M6, GX1 II, Sig15mm FE, 16-35 F4,TS-E 17, TS-E 24, 35 f2 IS, M11-22, M18-150 ,24-105, T45 1.8VC, 70-200 f4 IS, 70-200 2.8 vII, Sig 85 1.4, 100L, 135L, 400DOII.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/48305795@N03/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/edward.jenner.372/p​hotos (external link)

Niteclicks
161 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Jan 15, 2016 08:20 as a reply to  @ ejenner's post |  #9

I think the shape of the sun is because it is being distorted by the cold atmosphere. A wider shot may have revealed a sun dog ( just guessing). I may try taking it home and see what PS can do, it does have some potential, not that I can bring it out but I do like to play .

Sundog

IMAGE: http://src3rsteve.zenfolio.com/img/p1590233225-5.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://src3rsteve.zenf​olio.com/p63973242/e5e​c90889  (external link)
2015 (external link)

sponsored links

2,785 views & 0 likes for this thread
Pimp my bog
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.