Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 15 Aug 2014 (Friday) 15:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Adorama Rovelight RL 600, thoughts?

HelenOster
That's me!
4,492 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 12, 2016 14:12 |  #1321

dusik77 wrote in post #17849390 (external link)
did mine about 2-3 weeks ago and nothing yet..

Please email me with your order # : Helen@adorama.com

sponsored links
absplastic
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 12, 2016 16:04 |  #1322

I just ordered one of these on Sunday, I'll let everyone know what I get. I have some questions too.

I don't use the YN-622 system, but I have a YNE3-RX which is basically the same idea but using the Canon RT protocol. I've used this successfully to combine studio strobes and 600ex-rt speedlites, but connecting the YNE3-RX to the strobe via the suppled PC-sync-to-1/8" mini connector cord. This works great, but of course it is only simple triggering of whatever strobe is hooked up.

What I'm wondering now is if I can install the Rovelight 600b's supplied remote on the hotshoe connector of the YNE3-RX and gain any additional functionality (e.g. having the RL respect the "Group" power level set via ST-E3-RT, as opposed to just being triggered). Has anyone tried this with either a YNE3-RX or a YN-622 transceiver?

My current setup is this:

Canon 6D with ST-E3-RT on hotshoe
600ex-rt as wireless radio slaves
YNE3-RX receiver connected to studio strobe via sync cord, just as you'd do with a PocketWizard.
(Neither hotshoe connection on the YNE3-RX is used)

What I would like to try when my RL-600 arrives Thursday is this:

YNE3-RX with Rovelight controller in its top hotshoe, no other connections.

What I don't know is if this will work, or if the Rovelight remote controller only functions when in the hotshoe of an actual camera body.

Will it enable HSS also, or does that only function with the following separately purchased remote, mounted directly on the camera: http://www.adorama.com​/FPRRR1TRC.html (external link)

Lastly, anyone try any of this with a Phottix Laso receiver, rather than YN?

5DSR, 6D, 16-35/4L IS, 85L II, 100L macro, Sigma 150-600C
SL1, 10-18 STM, 18-55 STM, 40 STM, 50 STM
My (mostly) Fashion and Portraiture Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link) (NSFW)

dusik77
114 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 12, 2016 19:01 |  #1323

HelenOster wrote in post #17855535 (external link)
Please email me with your order # : Helen@adorama.com

done.. thanks Helen..

flowrider
Goldmember
3,585 posts
Gallery: 124 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by flowrider.

Jan 12, 2016 19:15 |  #1324

Well I took them apart and found some interesting things. First of all I know squat about electronics but my V2 remote may actually be a V2 remote considering the manufacture date stamped on the PCB. The configurations are also different with the Jinbei and the V1 being identical. There is an extra transistor in the V2 that I recently got.
Anyhow the pictures

Jinbei

IMAGE: http://www.stopbathimages.com/photos/i-F4dNqS9/0/O/i-F4dNqS9.jpg

FP V1

IMAGE: http://www.stopbathimages.com/photos/i-cmFSVD2/0/O/i-cmFSVD2.jpg

FP V2

IMAGE: http://www.stopbathimages.com/photos/i-63k9Krj/0/O/i-63k9Krj.jpg

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

absplastic
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 12, 2016 19:43 |  #1325

I've never seen a meander antenna trace perforated like that. I'm an audio guy, not a microwave antenna expert, so I don't know the reason for this or the consequences, just that I've never seen one with anything other than a solid foil trace. If I had a V1 to play around with, I'd be filling in those holes with solder just to see if it improves things.

someone0
436 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Jan 12, 2016 22:02 |  #1326

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

FlashPoint trigger v1

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

FlashPoint trigger v2

Version 2 of mine look like FlowRider, it does say TR-A9 2015 even though the battery door have no marking. But once open, if next the reset button has marking "RST" then it should be version 2. But if you still unsure, you can compare the PCB at the battery door without opening the case up.

ndrr13
37 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 12, 2016 22:52 |  #1327

Contacted Helen today and she got the V2 trigger shipped out to me. Thank you so much Helen :-)

flowrider
Goldmember
3,585 posts
Gallery: 124 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Jan 12, 2016 23:56 |  #1328

Can someone open up their V2 remote so we can compare? It's 3 small Phillips head screws.

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

PECE ­ Photo
101 posts
Joined May 2015

Jan 13, 2016 02:18 |  #1329

someone0 wrote in post #17856111 (external link)
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by someone0 in
./showthread.php?p=178​56111&i=i188946837
forum: Flash and Studio Lighting

FlashPoint trigger v1

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by someone0 in
./showthread.php?p=178​56111&i=i107830343
forum: Flash and Studio Lighting

FlashPoint trigger v2

Version 2 of mine look like FlowRider, it does say TR-A9 2015 even though the battery door have no marking. But once open, if next the reset button has marking "RST" then it should be version 2. But if you still unsure, you can compare the PCB at the battery door without opening the case up.

Yeah, my version two has the rst, and it works better. Much better. From these two facts I have deduced that I do in fact have a version 2. In all seriousness though if anybody got a trigger in the mail and the packaging said version two on it, I would think you probably have version two. Just one man's opinion.

One Light Real Estate Photography Course: http://www.pecephoto.c​om/one-light-tutorial/ (external link)

Gumby1220
331 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 13, 2016 08:23 |  #1330

absplastic wrote in post #17855657 (external link)
I just ordered one of these on Sunday, I'll let everyone know what I get. I have some questions too.

I don't use the YN-622 system, but I have a YNE3-RX which is basically the same idea but using the Canon RT protocol. I've used this successfully to combine studio strobes and 600ex-rt speedlites, but connecting the YNE3-RX to the strobe via the suppled PC-sync-to-1/8" mini connector cord. This works great, but of course it is only simple triggering of whatever strobe is hooked up.

What I'm wondering now is if I can install the Rovelight 600b's supplied remote on the hotshoe connector of the YNE3-RX and gain any additional functionality (e.g. having the RL respect the "Group" power level set via ST-E3-RT, as opposed to just being triggered). Has anyone tried this with either a YNE3-RX or a YN-622 transceiver?

My current setup is this:

YNE3-RX receiver connected to studio strobe via sync cord, just as you'd do with a PocketWizard.
(Neither hotshoe connection on the YNE3-RX is used)

What I would like to try when my RL-600 arrives Thursday is this:

YNE3-RX with Rovelight controller in its top hotshoe, no other connections.

What I don't know is if this will work, or if the Rovelight remote controller only functions when in the hotshoe of an actual camera body.

Will it enable HSS also, or does that only function with the following separately purchased remote, mounted directly on the camera: http://www.adorama.com​/FPRRR1TRC.html (external link)

Lastly, anyone try any of this with a Phottix Laso receiver, rather than YN?

I have the same question about hss when using the yne3-Rx. Let me know what the out come is when you try it out.

6D | T3/1100D | EF 85mm f1.8 USM | EF 50mm f1.8 mkII | EF-S 10-18mm IS STM | EF-S 18-55mm IS II | 600EX-RT | YN-E3-RT | PCB B800 |
flickr (external link)
Instagram (external link)

PineBomb
I have many notable flaws
2,470 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Joined Apr 2014

Jan 13, 2016 09:38 |  #1331

flowrider wrote in post #17855935 (external link)
Well I took them apart and found some interesting things. First of all I know squat about electronics but my V2 remote may actually be a V2 remote considering the manufacture date stamped on the PCB. The configurations are also different with the Jinbei and the V1 being identical. There is an extra transistor in the V2 that I recently got.
Anyhow the pictures

Jinbei
QUOTED IMAGE

FP V1

QUOTED IMAGE

FP V2

QUOTED IMAGE

I purchased my rovelight on Nov. 20. The trigger was not branded or packaged in any manner to distinguish its version, and based on the purchase date Helen was under the impression that it was v.1. After examining the circuit this morning, I believe it is a v.1 as it appears substantially similar to what you've displayed. There are minor differences in my v.1, but nothing close to the changes from what you've shown between your v.1 and v.2 triggers (e.g. the antenna trace).

absplastic wrote in post #17855964 (external link)
I've never seen a meander antenna trace perforated like that. I'm an audio guy, not a microwave antenna expert, so I don't know the reason for this or the consequences, just that I've never seen one with anything other than a solid foil trace. If I had a V1 to play around with, I'd be filling in those holes with solder just to see if it improves things.

I was very curious to see the changes to the antenna. I'm not an expert in any way. My experience is limited to mending/altering/hacki​ng/wrecking electric guitar circuits. It does seem strange that the v.1 is perforated. I'm hopeful that I receive the revised version before I get the itch to solder.

-Matt
Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link) | street portrait project on instagram (external link)

OceanRipple*
841 posts
Joined Dec 2014
Post edited over 3 years ago by OceanRipple*.

Jan 13, 2016 09:51 as a reply to  @ Gumby1220's post |  #1332

Hi, A direct question to Elv might be fruitful . . .

Meanwhile, I use Odins and some aspects may be transferable. I put an Odin friendly Rx on the Rovelight/Jinbei directly. (A Strato II Rx is sufficient because they obey Odin TCU timing whether it's normal sync timing or 'HSS-like' early sync timing - ODS too, for that matter.) Most TTL Rx units output the same timing through their pc or mini-phone outlets as they do through their hot-shoe centre pins - but not all - hence; a question to Elv.

On the Jinbei sender; it's a simple single pin item, though it does send power fraction instructions - cycling up or down. The sender itself goes to sleep annoyingly quickly - I use it handheld so I don't have a definitive take on all options to wake it up - I know that a press-and-hold on the send button is one way. Some configurations would rely on an Rx unit to wake up the Jinbei sender - that would need an answer too.

Good luck.

adammazza
505 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jul 2006
Post edited over 3 years ago by adammazza.

Jan 13, 2016 12:19 |  #1333

absplastic wrote in post #17855657 (external link)

That is for the Flashpoint series of flashes (It's the CellsII transmitter). It won't communicate directly with the Rovelight.

Canon 5Dm3, Fuji X100T, Fuji X-T1, Fuji X70
Canon 70-200mm L F/2.8 IS
Canon 24-105mm L F/4.0 IS
Sigma 35mm F/1.4, Sigma 85mm F/1.4
Fuji 16mm F/1.4, Fuji 35mm F/1.4, Fuji 56mm F/1.2, Fuji 16-55 F/2.8

absplastic
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 13, 2016 12:57 |  #1334

OceanRipple* wrote in post #17856528 (external link)
On the Jinbei sender; it's a simple single pin item, though it does send power fraction instructions - cycling up or down. The sender itself goes to sleep annoyingly quickly - I use it handheld so I don't have a definitive take on all options to wake it up - I know that a press-and-hold on the send button is one way. Some configurations would rely on an Rx unit to wake up the Jinbei sender - that would need an answer too.

Thanks for this info. The remote having just a single pin means it should work just fine piggybacked onto any other receiver with a hotshoe, it just means that I'll need to keep the resulting combo near me to control the light with, and relying on the V2 transmitter range, rather than closer to the Rovelight and using the RT system for the long-distance link as I'd originally envisioned.

absplastic
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 13, 2016 13:02 |  #1335

adammazza wrote in post #17856677 (external link)
That is for the Flashpoint series of flashes (It's the CellsII transmitter). It won't communicate directly with the Rovelight.

Ah OK. So this would be yet another controller and remote pairing, basically Flashpoint's version of PW with HyperSync?

sponsored links

430,734 views & 480 likes for this thread
Adorama Rovelight RL 600, thoughts?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.