Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings 
Thread started 21 Sep 2015 (Monday) 10:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

6d instead of 5d3 for real estate

PGD
625 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Dec 08, 2015 08:54 |  #31

cccc wrote in post #17786637 (external link)
I shoot with a 6D with only one qualm: it's electronic level is lacking.

Otherwise it is a wonderful machine for getting the job done. Not once have I thought a 5DmkIII would improve my shots...

Exactly what I was thinking

I run the 6D with 17mm TS-E, and 1.4x when needed. I often shoot large buildings so the wide 17mm is used a lot. But that said the distortion is so miniaml it's a joy to use

a.k.a Phil - Website (external link) - Flickr (external link) - Facebook (external link)

sponsored links
geo35
518 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Apr 2009

Dec 24, 2015 11:38 |  #32

Yeah, if you're doing exteriors without a lot of complicated lighting setups, I'd go the cheaper route (the 6D) and put the additional cash into good glass. As I understand it, the 6D doesn't have the PC plug, only a hit shoe, which is why I'm looking at the 5D mkIII instead (among other reasons).

markd61
60 posts
Joined Apr 2011
Post edited over 4 years ago by markd61. (2 edits in all)

Dec 28, 2015 14:25 |  #33

I have been taking architectural and RE images for the last 12+ years. Many of my images are used for very large displays and in print publication. After years of chasing ultimate IQ (and NOT going into MF) I have concluded that almost any camera 16MP and above will suffice for the vast bulk of work commissioned.

I currently use 5DmkIIIs with an assortment of Canon TS lenses, zooms and a Rokinon 14 (!).
In my experience the TS lenses are wicked sharp and do a great job of in camera correction. However, in most cases the perspective issue is not severe and can be handled very quickly in post.
What I have found is that the Canon 16-35 f4 L is an amazing tool for FF and offers very high sharpness with the flexibility of the zoom that greatly speeds up shooting.

Speed is always good as many clients (even those who should know better) feel that two hours is plenty to shoot a house and get AD results.

In addition the TS lenses do not have lens profiles despite the fact that they have some small distortions (particularly the 17).If I were interested in spending more money, I would get the Canon 11-24. It has the angle of view needed for the bulk of RE work with enough slop at the wide end for significant perspective adjustment. It also has that 11mm view that will get shots that the client wants that most cannot get without stitching.

I started in digital cameras with the 10D and moved as quickly as possible to larger formats as the available wide angle lenses were few for the APS-C format. Moving to the 5D 13MP was like dying and going to heaven as my wide angle selection was now much larger. IQ improved also but never as dramatically as one might think.

Proper technique, lighting and site prep will make far more difference than almost any camera short of a phone.

Oh yeah, the Rokinon, it is crazy sharp, fast and cheap. It does have a lot of distortion but there are great lens profiles that overcome that and allow angles of view that can save your rear.

Get the 6D it is wonderful and has great IQ. A large range of excellent lenses is available for it and you can grow it into a very nice machine for your business.

I use a CamRanger for my work and it is invaluable and has greatly reduced my post production time through better light placement and details that get overlooked on a small screen. It seems the WiFi of the 6D would be a bonus in that regard.

njstacker22
703 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Jan 13, 2016 11:39 |  #34

Biff LaRue wrote in post #17715930 (external link)
Real Estate and Architecture is all about resolution. If I had the money, I'd buy the 5Ds (50MP) but I don't so I shoot the T6s (24MP) while I save my pennies. 24 mm will account for 90% of the shots so extreme lenses aren't needed unless you want a TS. Just my $.02

strongly disagree here. RE is all about the LIGHTING. You could easily get away with a very large majority of shoots with a 12+mp camera.

Sony A7ii [Sony FE 16-35mm f/4] [Sony FE 28-70mm] [Rokinon 135mm F2] [Sony 50mm 1.8]
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/djbigley/ (external link)

digirebelva
Goldmember
3,987 posts
Gallery: 370 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jan 17, 2016 20:59 |  #35

Biff LaRue wrote in post #17715930 (external link)
Real Estate and Architecture is all about resolution.

Who told you that..Architecture maybe yes, RE no...the biggest the largest majority of images images are going to be used for is maybe an 8x10. Most are put up on the web at less than 900x600...talk about a waste of mp's and more importantly $$ from the photographers end...Even if an image were to be used for a billboard you do realize the dpi is something around 25-50, NOT 300. Save the money and get glass/lighting

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

magwai
Goldmember
1,094 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 10, 2016 07:30 |  #36

I use a 5d2 with 17-40 f4 and get results I am happy with. I am not sure of your style but I like to get a shot that is wider than I need so that I can perspective correct the verticals for real estate shots. Sort of a cheap and cheerful version of tilt-shift if you like :)

sponsored links

9,274 views & 6 likes for this thread
6d instead of 5d3 for real estate
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Architecture, Real-Estate & Buildings 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.