Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 14 Jan 2016 (Thursday) 19:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Car under Milky Way

Ranie ­ Dib
408 posts
Gallery: 24 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Jan 14, 2016 19:08 |  #1

Took this a few months ago with my D700 and Rokinon 35/1.4. The car is well lit because this side of the mountain faces the city lights of San Diego. Now I am Planning to do portraits like this, but I most likely will need flash. Taken at Mt. Laguna.

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5630/21048516219_16153f26bd_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/y4Z9​y4  (external link) DSC_6798-1 (external link) by Ranie Dib (external link), on Flickr

This is in a simillar vein, I lit up the sign for a couple of seconds with a torch. D700 + 14mm Rokinon.

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/733/21235374365_a9b64e4bc3_c.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/ymuQ​Ye  (external link) DSC_6979-1 (external link) by Ranie Dib (external link), on Flickr

www.raniedib.com (external link)

virginie24jb
821 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 06, 2016 03:07 |  #2

I love it. I really like the way the car is lit, it's not too harsh, just what's necessarily. For once city lights turn out useful in night sky photography. Great job!

http://www.virginie-bitterlin.com (external link)
http://www.visiting-washington.com (external link)
500∞ (external link) - Flickr (external link)
Canon 6D, Canon T4i/650D, Canon 24-105, 18-135 IS STM, 50 f/1.8, Canon 70-200 f/4, Samyang 14mm f/2.8, Samyang 24mm f/1.4

PhotosGuy
75,749 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Feb 06, 2016 06:09 |  #3

I might darken the top half of the frame a bit, but it looks pretty good there.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

samsen
Cream of the Crop
7,468 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 06, 2016 10:54 |  #4

Nice try and keep up the good work.
Share your pain dude when dealing with So Cali's extensive light pollution. My problem is LA. Even when pointing to Japan, still you see ships light:) or frequently passing life/coast guard's chopper or commercial skytracers! that is when marine layer is friendly. Must admit if you can get towards the Sultan's Lake or Mojavi's desert, things changes.
Anyways, it always pays back significantly to predetermine the location in relation to position of the Milky way for the given night. You don't want it very high in sky, when your image also has an important foreground element such as Car.
Try shooting towards the brighter/more interesting part of MW (And I see you already did that in your images that significantly adds). You need to have access to a guide such as Stellarium or likewise. Usually your best part of MW, when viewed from your location in Northern hemisphere and in these nights, is in Southern direction, starting from SE and ending at SW, that is, at earlier hours of the night. Even if you are not familiar with your night sky, try to identify Orion (Very easy due to its brightness and unique, easy to recognize shape of the "Hunter"), especially in these Winter nights when Orion rises early and is well visible throughout the night. Then locate Canis Major and even if not possible, just join the lines in Orion's belt, downwards toward South or the left and you can not miss Sirius. That is the brightest star in that area of sky for the night. Once you got the Sirius aim for MW to its lower left. That part is the greatest for these nights and you should have no problem in locate it after 9-10 PM and before an hour passed midnight. Incidentally this part is very close to horizon so perfect to add a nice Foreground such as your image.
Rest is doing your homework as you go on, with adding your experience through trial and errors.
Dark and cloudless nights to all and have fun.

Weak retaliates,
Strong Forgives,
Intelligent Ignores!
Samsen
Picture editing OK

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,076 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 06, 2016 10:55 |  #5

Excellent.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

1,681 views & 3 likes for this thread
Car under Milky Way
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.