Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 23 Sep 2015 (Wednesday) 10:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Epson Workforce 3640 - Non-Vibrant Photo Prints

Aeroman
61 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 23, 2015 10:02 |  #1

Folks, I just picked up the Epson Workforce 3640 and it does a GREAT job in printing regular white paper for general use. It's fast and the quality is good. When I print 4x6 photo glossy prints, the colors appear very dull/flat and I was wondering if there was a setting to make it more vibrant. I have tried to print with the "Best" setting but it doesn't change it much. I have tried to print high rez images off my Macbook Pro taken by a Canon 7D camera. Also, my images off my cell phone look washed out as well. Any tips? Thanks.

sponsored links
chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Sep 24, 2015 03:51 |  #2

Do you understand the softproofing workflow?

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,056 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Sep 24, 2015 05:15 |  #3

Here part of what one review says:

"Although graphics quality is a bit below par, but good enough for most internal business needs. Epson's WorkForce WF-3640 is capable at paper handling and comes with a long list of features that makes it our Editors' Choice for moderate-use micro office MFPs."

It's not meant to be a photo printer. It's designed to be a business printer. It's a multi-function 3-in-1 - scan, fax, print.

If you want brilliant prints, buy a printer intended for that purpose.

Website (external link) |

Aeroman
THREAD ­ STARTER
61 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 12, 2015 13:47 as a reply to  @ chauncey's post |  #4

I dont.

Aeroman
THREAD ­ STARTER
61 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 12, 2015 13:47 |  #5

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #17719915 (external link)
Here part of what one review says:

"Although graphics quality is a bit below par, but good enough for most internal business needs. Epson's WorkForce WF-3640 is capable at paper handling and comes with a long list of features that makes it our Editors' Choice for moderate-use micro office MFPs."

It's not meant to be a photo printer. It's designed to be a business printer. It's a multi-function 3-in-1 - scan, fax, print.

If you want brilliant prints, buy a printer intended for that purpose.

Thanks. Do you have a photo printer you recommend?

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 12, 2015 17:46 |  #6

IMHO the expense of a quality photo printer, unless you're a volume printer, borders on insanity.
Are you an avid Photoshop, user and/or, have a huge compute, and/or, quality body and lenses???

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

Aeroman
THREAD ­ STARTER
61 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Oct 13, 2015 12:49 |  #7

chauncey wrote in post #17742924 (external link)
IMHO the expense of a quality photo printer, unless you're a volume printer, borders on insanity.
Are you an avid Photoshop, user and/or, have a huge compute, and/or, quality body and lenses???

I am not so I figure Costo printing may be the way to go :)

chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Oct 13, 2015 18:45 |  #8

FWIW...I have been quite happy with Cosco prints, and they will redo them at no charge if not satisfied.

Aeroman
THREAD ­ STARTER
61 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 14, 2016 01:26 |  #9

chauncey wrote in post #17744404 (external link)
FWIW...I have been quite happy with Cosco prints, and they will redo them at no charge if not satisfied.

excellent, thanks for the heads up!

lilkngster
721 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2010
Post edited over 2 years ago by lilkngster. (2 edits in all)

Jan 15, 2016 18:36 |  #10

I assume you also selected the right paper, which makes a difference. You can try different paper settings, but what you are seeing is about what you can expect. I've used a WF and currently use an XP multifunction and already tried. No comparison to a dedicated photo printer, I've also done a direct comparison. Get one or send out.

Edit: just took a photo of a test prints from a Canon Pro-10 on the left printed on Arctic Polar Luster and an Epson XP-400 on the right printed on Epson premium semi-gloss. Sorry, lighting is uneven, but difference should be obvious.

Edit 2: just to address some of the OP concerns. A year ago I didn't know how to use PS. A month ago, I didn't have a dedicated photo printer, now I have two!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

6dII/80d/1dIII|8mm to 400mm|Pro-10/100

MaGeKo
373 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 16, 2016 05:45 |  #11

Have you ever tried to use the right ICC Profile for the paper you are using? If not, just visit the homepage of the paper manufacturer and look for the ICC profile download. Hopefully they are providing it. Then copy it to Library/Color Sync/ Profiles, choose the ICC profile in the printer settings of your software and try printing again.

sponsored links

3,831 views & 0 likes for this thread
Epson Workforce 3640 - Non-Vibrant Photo Prints
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.