Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 17 Jan 2016 (Sunday) 14:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Great Grandmother's 95th Birthday Party

heldGaze
539 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 17, 2016 14:29 |  #1

These photos were taken at my girlfriend's great grandmother's 95th birthday party. I hadn't intended to be shooting photos that day, so I didn't have my camera with me. Thus, all these photos were taken with my Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphone, inside of a waterproof case, so shooting through the plastic over the lens. And then editing was done on the JPEGs that came out of the phone. But, as the saying goes, the best camera is the one you have with you. Here are 6 of my favorite images that came from that day.

My absolute favorite photo is this, 4 generations of the matrilineal line: my girlfriend, her mother, her grandmother & her great grandmother. I printed 4 copies of this photo, framed them and gave them each one as a Christmas gift this year. That way, whenever one of them is looking at the photo, there is a good chance someone else in the photo is looking at it as well.

IMAGE: http://chuck-d.net/images/potn/Muddy95/Matrilineal%20Official%20Cropped.jpg

I shot a full family portrait as well (minus me as I didn't have my real camera, tripod and wireless shutter remote). I planned ahead and brought that full kit to Christmas, but still need to edit those photos. This photo is actually a composite of 3 shots. I had to blend several exposures in order to get a single image with everyone smiling in it. But I bet you can't tell which two people have been replaced.

IMAGE: http://chuck-d.net/images/potn/Muddy95/Family%20Portrait%20Official%20Cropped.jpg

My girlfriend, great grandma and myself.

IMAGE: http://chuck-d.net/images/potn/Muddy95/Me,%20Muddy%20&%20Can%20Cropped%20Landscape.jpg

My girlfriend's brother & great grandma.

IMAGE: http://chuck-d.net/images/potn/Muddy95/Muddy%20&%20John%20Laughing.jpg

My girlfriend and her mother.

IMAGE: http://chuck-d.net/images/potn/Muddy95/Candice%20&%20Lori%20Smiling.jpg

And here is my girlfriend's mother, her sister and great gran. So it's really Grandma and two granddaughters. All having a great laugh together. Another of my top favorites from that day, and a great one to end this post.

IMAGE: http://chuck-d.net/images/potn/Muddy95/Trio%20Laughing%20Updated.jpg

As always, C&C is welcomed, just keep in mind the limited source files I had to work with ;) And feel free to venture a guess as to which two people were replaced in the family portrait. I'm curious if anyone can tell, and if so, how you can tell.

Cheers,
heldGaze

Cameras: Sony α7R II, Canon 40D, Samsung Galaxy S7
Lenses: Canon 11-24mm f/4 L, 24-70mm f/2.8 L II, 50mm f/1.8 II, Sigma 18-200mm
Telescope: Meade LXD55 SN-6" F=762mm f/5, with a 2x Barlow T-Mount
Retired Cameras: Canon SD300, Nokia N95, Galaxy S, S3 & S4
C&C Always Appreciated

sponsored links
PhotogWannabe
364 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Nov 2006

Jan 17, 2016 17:14 |  #2

It's better that these memories were captured than not. These are exquisite family moments that can't be duplicated so whether you had your phone or your regular camera doesn't matter. As you said, the best camera is the one you have with you at the time. I am positive that everyone appreciated your efforts.

grayline
247 posts
Joined Dec 2013

Jan 21, 2016 23:45 |  #3

Wow Grammy looks good for 95. Very good with a mobile device!
Thanks for sharing

Gear List :EOS 70D ,Sigma 50mm 1.4,Tamron 18-270, Canon 18-55,Canon HFM31,Canon SX280HS,Olympus E-10 ,

CanonCameraFan
Goldmember
1,684 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jan 25, 2016 16:49 |  #4

There is a beautiful lineage going on with the ladies of this family!

And you did a real nice job in the compositions, resulting in well above average images. The first one and the entire family shots are my favorites, but many others are just as well executed! :)

EOS 7D w/BG-E7 (3), 550EX (3), 430EX II, Vivitar 285HV, Opteka 6.5mm/3.5, Canon EF-S 10-18/4.5-5.6 IS STM, Canon EF-S 24/2.8 STM, Canon EF 40/2.8 STM, Canon EF 100mm/2.0 USM, Canon EF 70-300mm/4-5.6 L IS USM, Canon 77mm 500D Macro, Tamrac 614 Bag & 787 Backpack, Crumpler 8 MDH, 7 MDH, 6 MDH
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/johnebersole/se​ts/ (external link)

heldGaze
THREAD ­ STARTER
539 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 25, 2016 20:00 |  #5

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I had a long chat with Muddy, what we call great gran, at Christmas. I tried to get it in her head that if she can hold on till her centennial birthday, I can hopefully retake the matrilineal photograph with a 5th generation of women in it. As you mentioned, she's in great shape for 95, she's even got a boyfriend like 30-40 years her junior... that cradle robber! Up until a year or two ago she was still working in a library, and she cooks 3 full meals for herself every day. That's how you stay sharp and healthy for all those years. Keep up a routine, keep contributing to society and it'll give back to you a sharp mind and healthy body.

I also have it in my head that I could possibly take a photo of myself holding my (potential future) daughter while sitting in a chair, then do a little PS painting magic and put us in that black chair in the photo. Though of course it would be far better to get a shot naturally with all 5 of them together.

I don't have any grand parents still living, let alone the fact that I never even met my great grandparents, even as an infant. So 4 generations all together at once is something rare, something very special in my eyes. At Christmas and Thanksgiving I saw a bunch of these photos printed out and on a few refrigerators. Which is the real test of a family photojournalist, those are the galleries I was aiming for with these shots. Though I still took my time to get the most out of the source images I had.

Thanks again for the comments.

C&C Always Appreciated

MaGeKo
377 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jan 26, 2016 16:14 |  #6

Really lovely familiy shots. Very well done.

heldGaze
THREAD ­ STARTER
539 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jan 26, 2016 18:07 |  #7

Thank you. Some of the photos, both here and in the full set, could have benefited from the dehaze functionality in the latest PS. But alas that was not included in PS CS3. I am trying to decide which Creative Cloud plan to purchase, so I'll be able to work with the latest & greatest tools soon.

It's a cruel twist of fate that the inferior cameras give you files that are the worst for doing post processing. My girlfriend and I have a big multi-year photography project that is currently in planning the stages. So I am looking to upgrade our P&S that I got back in 2004 to something that is ultra-compact, yet is still capable of shooting RAW. Trying to stay in the $300 range, but I've just begun my research. With a new FF body, an IPS monitor and a couple lens purchases coming up, I don't have much budget left for a P&S.

C&C Always Appreciated

sponsored links

1,697 views & 3 likes for this thread
Great Grandmother's 95th Birthday Party
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.