Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 16 Jan 2016 (Saturday) 19:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Macro Extension tube with AF : how to use best ?

CanonYouCan
Goldmember
1,480 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by CanonYouCan. (2 edits in all)

Jan 16, 2016 19:56 |  #1

I just bought this Macro Extension tube with AF : http://www.benl.ebay.b​e …geName=STRK%3AM​EBIDX%3AIT (external link)

With which of my lenses below would it work best ?
I just tried with my 24-70 and 17-40 but had to put my lens almost against the subject.
Would I start with all the rings so that the lens will be most far away from my camera ?

Sony A7 III | Metabones V | Canon 17-40 F4 L | 24-70 2.8 L | 70-200 2.8L II
Sigma 50 1.4 Art | Sigma 85 1.4 Art

Lighting : Godox AD600B TTL + Godox V860II-S + X1T-S
Modifiers: 60cm Collapsible Silver Beautydish + grid | Godox 120cm Octagon softbox + grid
Tripod: Vanguard Alta 253CT carbon

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jan 17, 2016 11:34 |  #2

First off, using it with a zoom lens is a recipe for insanity - the focus point will change as you zoom to adjust the framing.

Second, the longer the extension tube length you're using the closer you'll need to get to the subject to achieve focus (and the greater the magnification will be).

Start with the shortest (13 mm) tube on your 135 mm lens and see how much closer you'll get. Remember, by adding any tube to any lens you'll lose infinity focus. Then move to progressively more extension and see the differences. Just using the two longer tubes stacked with your 50 mm lens will get you to about life-size, and a 100 mm (or less) working distance, depending on the internal optics of the lens.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jan 17, 2016 11:48 |  #3

I get 1:1 with 25mm ET and 18-55 STM at ~35mm, on a 70D. ETs work better (more magnification) on shorter lenses. If you can't get focus at all (think 16mm on 16-35 w/31mm ET) your focus point may actually be inside the lens.

CanonYouCan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,480 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Oct 2010

Jan 17, 2016 18:24 |  #4

In past I had a Sigma 150 2.8 Macro but sold it, as I realised and read I need a 5:1 magnification for the pics you sometimes see of gigantic insects.
This is probably not possible with this extension tube and one of my lenses ? :)
I'm not going to buy a macro again as it was just for testing...

Sony A7 III | Metabones V | Canon 17-40 F4 L | 24-70 2.8 L | 70-200 2.8L II
Sigma 50 1.4 Art | Sigma 85 1.4 Art

Lighting : Godox AD600B TTL + Godox V860II-S + X1T-S
Modifiers: 60cm Collapsible Silver Beautydish + grid | Godox 120cm Octagon softbox + grid
Tripod: Vanguard Alta 253CT carbon

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004

Jan 17, 2016 19:41 |  #5

No, probably not. You can get better than 1:1 with the 50 and all three tubes, but unless you've stunned or killed the insect, you'll have a hard time getting close without scaring it off.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

3,121 views & 0 likes for this thread
Macro Extension tube with AF : how to use best ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.