Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 07 Jan 2016 (Thursday) 00:48
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A second shooter's dilema

wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
2,086 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Nov 2014

Jan 08, 2016 12:36 |  #31

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #17849594 (external link)
agree.

frankly, if the client contacted me, i'm pretty sure I would tell them the primary photographer is lying about the hard drive failure.

I would never do any more work for him once I knew that is how he was operating, so preserving any relationship would be of no concern.

^^^ bingo

the main photog didn't like any of your work but paid you (you are not likely to get hired again is my guess) but he fulfilled his obligation

the couple is now in a no win situation also as a decent sized deposit has been paid on the upcoming wedding pictures (plus they got no engagement photos - at least you think they didn't)

if it were me, and they contacted me, i wouldn't lie and I have them come by and show them - but they would have to deal with the main photog (they can be a future client of yours and there is no reason they can't come by your place and you can show them your work)

my guess, and if i was the client, i would personally fire the photog for lying to me and ask for my money back or goto small claims court to get it

as soon as this photog asked you to lie he has opened himself to serious risk of future business problems

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

sponsored links
Silver-Halide
836 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2015

Jan 08, 2016 15:33 |  #32

Main photog is entitled to maintain his quality control standards, but I wouldn't associate with any professional that lies to a client. If pressed by the client I would refer them back to the main photog for questions but wouldn't assist in advancing any lies. Just my moral standards.

Echoes in Eternity LLC | Tucson and Southern Arizona Wedding Photographer (external link)

ajayclicks
THREAD ­ STARTER
879 posts
Joined May 2006

Jan 09, 2016 21:25 |  #33

Thank you everyone, for your views.

Just to clarify, the main has not told me to LIE to the end client. He has asked me not to hand over my images to the end client, incase I am contacted by them. He has said that he will not be handing over the images, by claiming a hard disk failure (which is a lie), but has pretty much left it to me, on what/ how I should be communicating .

This, of course, is of little consolation. It is unlikely that the end client will appreciate my contractual obligations and not pester me for the images, if he realises that I have them.

Did not realise that second shooting could be messy too :P

http://ajayclicks.com (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/ajaygargphotography (external link)http://flickr.com/phot​os/ajayclicks (external link)

mclaren777
Goldmember
1,482 posts
Joined May 2012

Jan 11, 2016 12:39 |  #34

ajayclicks wrote in post #17847947 (external link)
My view is that my contract (verbal, there is nothing written) is with the main photog, and if he does not want to share the images with the client, so be it. I therefore should not hand over any images to the client. Am I right in my view?

Yes, I think you're doing the right thing.

A simple comparison of sensor technology: Nikon vs. Canon (external link)
A technical comparison of sensor technology: Exposure Latitude (external link)

bigVinnie
835 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2010

Jan 11, 2016 15:25 |  #35

Rule #1: Don't lie
Rule #2: Don't do business with people who lie.

If the client contacts you tell them exactly what the deal is. It is in the hands of the person they hired.

While it is sad that it has come to this you do need to make sure you have your images backed up. I suspect the client will have to sue him to get the images so be prepared to hand them over when a judge orders it.

Act1 Photo Booths (external link)

Brasher
113 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jan 22, 2016 09:48 as a reply to  @ bigVinnie's post |  #36

This has probably already been closed out, but just to offer my thought.

Never lie. For anyone. This can ruin your reputation. His is already ruined, don't allow him to bring yours down too.

If you feel that the couple needs the photos (and I think they do), an alternative solution does exist. Let the couple know that you know nothing about the harddrive failure, although you do have copies of the photos on your end and would be happy to redeliver them to the contracted photographer.

This does three things:

1.) You aren't lying.
2.) The couple obtains their pictures.
3.) The contracted photographer still has the excuse that they aren't his photos.

ajayclicks
THREAD ­ STARTER
879 posts
Joined May 2006

Jan 22, 2016 22:10 |  #37

Hello everyone,

Thank you for chiming in. The end client contacted me, and I told him politely that I had the images that I shot, but as I was contracted and paid by the main photog, I have a limited role to play in handing these over. I told him that I would be more than happy to hand over my images to the second shooter (who plans make an album for the client), provided he (the client) speaks to the main photog about it.

The client has agreed, he is currently travelling for work, and will do so upon his return. He has requested that i do not delete my images- which I will not. They are currently backedup on 2 external drives, besides being on my laptop.

Cheers,
Ajay

http://ajayclicks.com (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/ajaygargphotography (external link)http://flickr.com/phot​os/ajayclicks (external link)

drmaxx
Goldmember
1,280 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jul 2010
Post edited over 4 years ago by drmaxx.

Jan 23, 2016 05:09 as a reply to  @ ajayclicks's post |  #38

Well handled!

Donate if you love POTN

sponsored links

7,563 views & 22 likes for this thread
A second shooter's dilema
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.