Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 06 Jan 2016 (Wednesday) 21:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Nikon is Feeding Canon its lunch....and them some

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,884 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 22, 2016 10:11 |  #466

I expect companies to play technological leap frog. It's how things move forward so I am very excited when I see a competitor come out with an improvement that resets the bar. Sony did that with the Exmor. Nikon decided to jump on the bandwagon thus they too are benefiting. I think many have been waiting for Canon's response and to date they have been silent, thus, frustration.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

sponsored links
umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
11,362 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 22, 2016 10:13 |  #467

Road Dog wrote in post #17868304 (external link)
At some point, Canon will surpass Nikon in some important "requirement" that some people have.

That might happen after all of those folks have switched to Nikon. In that case, we'll see the thread "Canon is feeding Nikon its lunch" and complaints about how Nikon isn't keeping up with Canon. What then? Will those people switch back to Canon?

Seems silly to me.

Product advancements are cyclical, and that should be kept in mind...

True

Been tough watching Nikon come out with these. Im hopeful Canon can step up and ring the bell

Right now canon is ringing this bell

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,065 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005

Jan 22, 2016 10:40 |  #468

At some point, Canon will surpass Nikon in some important "requirement" that some people have.

That might happen after all of those folks have switched to Nikon. In that case, we'll see the thread "Canon is feeding Nikon its lunch" and complaints about how Nikon isn't keeping up with Canon. What then? Will those people switch back to Canon?

Seems silly to me.

^^ yeah, plenty of Nikon afficianados incurred the cost of switching to Canon after they got tired of waiting for high ISO low noise capability. So now they would need to switch back and incur the cost of switching again. It is not merely lenses, it is also ETTL flash systems and most other accessories; fortunately tripods and ballheads are agnostic.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 22, 2016 11:21 |  #469

Seems silly to me.

Spot on :) but right now Nikon is feeding Canon its lunch *LOL*

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 22, 2016 11:23 |  #470

umphotography wrote in post #17868326 (external link)
True

Been tough watching Nikon come out with these. Im hopeful Canon can step up and ring the bell

Right now canon is ringing this bell

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by umphotography in
./showthread.php?p=178​68326&i=i70342226
forum: Camera Vs. Camera

Let's hope the Gong is not rung for the 5DMKIV *LOL*

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,092 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 22, 2016 14:22 |  #471

Canon already have for me - several years ago.

Having used the very best that Nikon currently offer the AF systems on the better Canon's are significantly better/faster/more accurate etc etc. What use is the best sensor going if it achieves focus when the subject has already left?
Note I am a bird/wildlife shooter and at the moment Canon is significantly better. Maybe the D5/D500 will change this but Nikon will have to change a number of their lenses first!
I hope Nikon will equal/exceed Canon in the AF department - then we can realistically compare their systems.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

LincsRP
427 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 22, 2016 18:11 |  #472

johnf3f wrote in post #17868634 (external link)
Canon already have for me - several years ago.

Having used the very best that Nikon currently offer the AF systems on the better Canon's are significantly better/faster/more accurate etc etc. What use is the best sensor going if it achieves focus when the subject has already left?
Note I am a bird/wildlife shooter and at the moment Canon is significantly better. Maybe the D5/D500 will change this but Nikon will have to change a number of their lenses first!
I hope Nikon will equal/exceed Canon in the AF department - then we can realistically compare their systems.

A good friend of mine with his D4 says the same thing. Hell, the images are good on his D4 but only when they're in focus. I blamed him, of course. This is what good friends do ... blame them and not their kit. Maybe it has some truth ... must buy him a beer to make up for my comments. :-)

Steve
www.lincsracephotos.co​.uk (external link)

umphotography
THREAD ­ STARTER
grabbing their Johnson
11,362 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Jan 23, 2016 09:34 |  #473

LincsRP wrote in post #17868892 (external link)
A good friend of mine with his D4 says the same thing. Hell, the images are good on his D4 but only when they're in focus. I blamed him, of course. This is what good friends do ... blame them and not their kit. Maybe it has some truth ... must buy him a beer to make up for my comments. :-)

Cliff mautner uses a D4s. He is a Nikon ambassador for wedding photography. He is one of the best wedding photographers on the planet. None of his images have focus issues. I trained with him for 4 days.

None of the Nikons had problems trying to achieve focus from the 6-7 people that were in the class. Total BS about the AF performance on any of the canon and Nikon camera bodies in the part 4 yrs. They are all good. I have 2nds that shoot Nikon. Zero issues getting focus shots........and I see the files as they are coming off the cards and I have used the cameras along side my 5D3's

Im calling BS on this whole Nikon Focus argument. I dont see it and neither do many of the people I work with

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

gjl711
"spouting off stupid things"
55,884 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 23, 2016 10:44 |  #474

umphotography wrote in post #17869527 (external link)

Im calling BS on this whole Nikon Focus argument. I dont see it and neither do many of the people I work with

I think it comes from the burst tests in AiServo with the subject moving towards you. Canon has scored more frames in focus in those types of tests. Normal one shot type focusing is pretty easy and all do well these days.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Pagman
I just hold the thing :-)
9,445 posts
Gallery: 2214 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 23, 2016 12:10 |  #475

gjl711 wrote in post #17869586 (external link)
I think it comes from the burst tests in AiServo with the subject moving towards you. Canon has scored more frames in focus in those types of tests. Normal one shot type focusing is pretty easy and all do well these days.

This was the problem i had with my d7100 - servo focus with subjects moving towards/away from the camera, threw the AF somewhow, subjects moving across the frame was no such problem.

P.

Some stuff.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
51,101 posts
Gallery: 184 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 4 years ago by CyberDyneSystems.

Jan 23, 2016 13:57 |  #476

Auto Focus is simply one of the things that canon does best.

We can lambast them for being behind in sensor tech, but the fact is that they have continued to make sure that they offer top of the line AF performance in bodies and lenses since the EF/EOS system was launched. It is part of what made Canon so popular among action oriented pro photographers.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Pagman
I just hold the thing :-)
9,445 posts
Gallery: 2214 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 23, 2016 14:46 |  #477

The reason why i love canon AF 38.000 feet pic is cropped but you can read the registration under the wing from that distance;-)a:-)

P.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Some stuff.

markd61
60 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jan 23, 2016 15:58 as a reply to  @ Pagman's post |  #478

My experience with Canon (1D series and the 5D series) was that Auto Focus on moving subjects going to or towards the camera were hit and miss. Far from the near magical experience that many wished to represent.
I am a commercial photographer so moving subjects are rarely my subject. On occasion I do get an project that requires fast, accurate AF. It is then that I feel that while it is still amazing that AF exists at all (I am old) I do not see it as a panacea.

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,714 posts
Gallery: 141 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2006

Jan 23, 2016 16:30 |  #479

Just to be clear any camera will be taxed more by subjects moving toward the camera, as they are shifting more quickly from one focal plane to the next. Objects moving side to side stay on the same plane or quartering would shift less quickly.

idkdc
Goldmember
2,838 posts
Joined Oct 2014

Jan 23, 2016 16:56 |  #480

markd61 wrote in post #17869951 (external link)
My experience with Canon (1D series and the 5D series) was that Auto Focus on moving subjects going to or towards the camera were hit and miss. Far from the near magical experience that many wished to represent.
I am a commercial photographer so moving subjects are rarely my subject. On occasion I do get an project that requires fast, accurate AF. It is then that I feel that while it is still amazing that AF exists at all (I am old) I do not see it as a panacea.

If you're missing focus with a 1DX, then you're doing something wrong.

Nikon Z7 / D850 | Canon C200 / 1DXII | Fujifilm XT2

sponsored links

97,180 views & 414 likes for this thread
Nikon is Feeding Canon its lunch....and them some
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.