Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
Thread started 27 Sep 2015 (Sunday) 23:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

500awhp 2g Eclipse GSX

Myboostedgst
Goldmember
1,904 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Feb 2011

Sep 27, 2015 23:10 |  #1

This is my buddies 2g GSX. He is trading it for an Evo early next year, so he wanted to grab a few pics before it went into storage. We had about 45 mins before the light completely went down. Here are just a few. More can be seen on my Flickr.

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5731/21718231595_c7f284163a_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/z6aB​AT  (external link) 2g GSX (external link) by Andrew Smith (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/571/21530968398_e710296f4b_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/yNBQ​M5  (external link) 2g DSM (external link) by Andrew Smith (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/701/21587822229_99ccca5bea_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/yTDe​rx  (external link) 2g GSX (external link) by Andrew Smith (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5729/21784115471_32c5c63f39_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/zbZh​zM  (external link) 2g GSX (external link) by Andrew Smith (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/709/21774658365_ee74e00c8f_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/zb9P​je  (external link) 2g GSX (external link) by Andrew Smith (external link), on Flickr

Andrew | Midwest Automotive (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)

sponsored links
PhotosGuy
75,877 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Sep 28, 2015 07:43 |  #2

Nice set, especially the last one.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

Myboostedgst
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,904 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 18, 2016 21:37 |  #3

I finally got a chance to do a story on the car with all of the info on the modifications. Link below.

http://www.midwestauto​motive.net …risandras-2g-eclipse-gsx/ (external link)

Andrew | Midwest Automotive (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Instagram (external link)

PhotosGuy
75,877 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Jan 19, 2016 00:21 |  #4

Myboostedgst wrote in post #17863826 (external link)
I finally got a chance to do a story on the car with all of the info on the modifications. Link below.

http://www.midwestauto​motive.net …risandras-2g-eclipse-gsx/ (external link)

Nice coverage of it!

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Jan 19, 2016 00:27 |  #5

Always had a softspot for DSM!

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

Myboostedgst
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,904 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 19, 2016 00:53 |  #6

PhotosGuy wrote in post #17863934 (external link)
Nice coverage of it!

Thanks. I take a lot of inspiration from older magazines. I'm not an English major, so I definitely improve each article. My goal is to branch out and cover a larger genre of cars this year.

98kellrs
841 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Jan 19, 2016 18:29 |  #7

Nice set, really like the tones and compositions are solid too.

On the last one, I'd be tempted to just straighten the highlight in the paintwork in front of the door handle. Looks like he has a slight dent/depression there which deflects the highlight downwards, but that's being super picky!

Ryan
Nikon D800
Fujifilm X-T1
RSK Photography Facebook - Automotive Photography page (external link)
Website (external link)

STP03BlueSi
656 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 20, 2016 11:16 |  #8

Nice Eclipse!

Brut-Photography.com
Facebook (external link) Brut_Photography - Instagram
"I have photographed cars you have used in Forza"
Canon 7D MKii

Myboostedgst
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,904 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by Myboostedgst.

Jan 20, 2016 12:33 |  #9

Thanks everyone.

98kellrs wrote in post #17865053 (external link)
Nice set, really like the tones and compositions are solid too.

On the last one, I'd be tempted to just straighten the highlight in the paintwork in front of the door handle. Looks like he has a slight dent/depression there which deflects the highlight downwards, but that's being super picky!

Yeah, the car was supposed to go through some bodywork, but the car has since been traded plus cash for an Evo.

mbbye
181 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 20, 2016 22:41 |  #10

Nice license plate :lol:

Canon 5D Mark II | 35mm f/1.4L | 50mm f/1.8 STM | flickr (external link)

Jeff_56
285 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 24, 2016 04:41 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

I had a couple of the DSM cars, a '92 and a '93 Laser both AWD with the stock 195 hp engine. Even that motor made for one quck machine. 0-30 it would outrun even the super cars of the day. It seriously dropped off in second gear like most 4 cyl. engines of the time but still both were quick doing 0-60 in just over 6 seconds. And the power split, weight distrubution and the limited slip center diff. made it a natural born rally car right out off the showroom floor. I babied the first one I had but not the second one. It would run just as fast in the snow as it would on dry pavement. Of course it wouldn't stop any better so it was a crazy thing to do to drive it hard in those conditions. I did it once in a remote location. I loved those cars. They were the best sports cars I ever owned.

aemravan
Goldmember
1,622 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jan 24, 2016 13:44 |  #12

nicely done

Canon 5Diii - Canon 24-70 2.8L - Canon 100 2.8L Macro - Sigma 50 1.4

Myboostedgst
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,904 posts
Joined Feb 2011

Jan 24, 2016 14:58 |  #13

Thanks everyone. Make sure to keep an eye out. I hope around mid May to have the story about their new Evo up. But as with all projects, hopefully it stays on the current timeline!

Jeff_56
285 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jan 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by Jeff_56.

Jan 24, 2016 15:41 |  #14
bannedPermanent ban

I've been wanting an Evo since they made a rally car from them. Of course a WRC would be better but I'd be happy in either. I love driving those rally type cars. We have a lot of dirt roads through state forests in my home area. We used to have a rally there but it's been a while. I almost got started driving in that race but it just never happened. I always loved Mitsubishi stuff too. I had a Stealth (3000GT) also but it wasn't AWD or turbo. Still it was a nice machine. But the 3 DSM cars were just wacky good. It's hard to find a car with even power distribution let alone weight distribution and to have a limited slip center differential too. I know I said this before but I was crazy about those cars. I thought serious about developing a high HP version of that car too but it would have required changing the whole drivetrain. The original axles didn't hold up well to that kind of strain from what I heard. Still just adding an extra 100 hp would have made for one sick ride. Near the end of the life of the second Laser I owned (the one I drove really hard) the wastegate got stuck and wouldn't open. Talk about getting some boost. Wow it was instant 500 HP from an engine designed to be under 200 hp. That led to bad things of course. I don't want to talk about that. But for a short time it was wacky fast.

I still love those cars and seeing the photos here really brought back some memories. Great work on the car and on the photos. Makes me want to trade off my SUV for another sports car but it's hard to find one as sweet as those old Diamond Star trio cars. The short throw shifter right where you could rest your arm on the console and shift all day, the ability to heel and toe with ease, the power to pull through a curve when you had no business going so fast, and the crazy feeling of doing 0-30 in 2 seconds on snow. It was a hard combination to beat.

Thanks for posting these shots. I really like them. I like the first one BTW.

PhotosGuy
75,877 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Jan 24, 2016 18:07 |  #15

Jeff_56 wrote in post #17871143 (external link)
... the wastegate got stuck and wouldn't open. Talk about getting some boost. Wow it was instant 500 HP from an engine designed to be under 200 hp.

"Fun, Fun, Fun..."
-- The Beach Boys. ; D

sponsored links

4,602 views & 5 likes for this thread
500awhp 2g Eclipse GSX
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.