Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 24 Jan 2016 (Sunday) 19:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

60D Not Sharp, won't even focus at all sometimes

dansmail26
359 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 24, 2016 19:52 |  #1

I have been having some problems with my 60D the last few weeks. The pictures just haven't seemed as sharp as they used to. Now it has started not even being able to get a focus at all sometimes, it won't allow me to shoot the picture when ity happens.
I was at a ski slope today taking pics of my 6 year old granddaughter. It would not focus on her at all on the slope (used two lenses, mostly my 70-200 f4l), it would focus on the trees lining the slope but not on her. I would have to hold the focus point (shutter half way) and hopefully then catch her with that focus point.
I tried doing a factory reset, taking the battery out and even shooting in (yuck!) auto just to try and eliminate any errors I might have introduced.
The camera has been put through a lot of shutter clicks the last 2 1/2 years, I literally take 100+ shots most days. (Is there any free s/w to determine number of clicks?)
Any ideas?
Thanks!!

7D mark ii, Canon 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 f/4L non-is, Canon 10-18 efs, Canon 1.4x, Yongnuo 468 II

sponsored links
John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
9,591 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited over 4 years ago by John from PA.

Jan 24, 2016 19:59 |  #2

Can you post an image showing the issue? And go the extra bit to include the full EXIF info as it will tell us a lot about what you are doing.

I also see you have a 50mm prime. IS the behavior with that lens the same as with the two zooms you own?

dansmail26
THREAD ­ STARTER
359 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 24, 2016 20:05 as a reply to  @ John from PA's post |  #3

As soon as I can get to the computer (with the pics) I will post one.
Thanks

7D mark ii, Canon 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 f/4L non-is, Canon 10-18 efs, Canon 1.4x, Yongnuo 468 II

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
22,247 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Jan 24, 2016 21:59 |  #4

A photo(with EXIF) will definitely help.

Mark

Archibald
You must be quackers!
9,385 posts
Gallery: 424 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Jan 24, 2016 22:09 |  #5

How many AF points are active?

Sony RX10 IV, Canon 7D2, Canon 90D, assorted Canon lenses
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

Frodge
Goldmember
3,080 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 25, 2016 07:16 |  #6

Is the lens on MF or the camera on MF?

dansmail26
THREAD ­ STARTER
359 posts
Joined Nov 2012
Post edited over 4 years ago by dansmail26.

Jan 25, 2016 14:32 as a reply to  @ Frodge's post |  #7

-Both are on AF.

- It wouldn't lock in a focus, so I guess no points were active. Just to make sure we had the camera set to a factory reset stage in dummy (auto) mode so they all should have been active.

-When my wife gets home I will try and get some pictures. She's actually the photographer, I'm the tech guy.

I did do an EOSCcount on it today, she has taken 164,000 pictures on it in the 2 1/2 years we have had it!

The funny thing I still don't understand though is why it won't focus at all (won't get a lock) on i.e. my granddaughter standing on a ski slope. She had to focus on the trees then lock that in and move the camera. Last year this didn't happen, something has changed.

I am worried though with 164k clicks on it (60d is expected to last 100k) that it is getting worn out...

Archibald
You must be quackers!
9,385 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 25, 2016 16:50 |  #8

dansmail26 wrote in post #17872332 (external link)
-Both are on AF.

- It wouldn't lock in a focus, so I guess no points were active. Just to make sure we had the camera set to a factory reset stage in dummy (auto) mode so they all should have been active.

-When my wife gets home I will try and get some pictures. She's actually the photographer, I'm the tech guy.

I did do an EOSCcount on it today, she has taken 164,000 pictures on it in the 2 1/2 years we have had it!

The funny thing I still don't understand though is why it won't focus at all (won't get a lock) on i.e. my granddaughter standing on a ski slope. She had to focus on the trees then lock that in and move the camera. Last year this didn't happen, something has changed.

I am worried though with 164k clicks on it (60d is expected to last 100k) that it is getting worn out...

You should set the camera so only ONE autofocus point is active. Then do some focus tests.

The default (probably) is ALL points, which is not what you want. If the camera is set to use all points, it will focus on whatever is nearest, and that is usually the wrong object.

Not saying that this is your problem, but it is a starting point.

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

dansmail26
THREAD ­ STARTER
359 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 25, 2016 17:42 as a reply to  @ Archibald's post |  #9

Problem "might" be solved. I called Canon today for some advice, they said perhaps the focus sensor might need cleaning. I didn't know hoe easy that sensor was to clean/. There was a good sized 'dust bunny' on it that I removed, blew it off and it seems better. Need to confirm tomorrow in some bright snow!
Good news also was I verified the extended warranty that I purchased with the camera. Knowing how many pictures she takes (the 60d replaced an Xsi with 170k on it) I kinda figured within the 5 year warranty plan it would either die or need a shhutter! Plus the plan included accident damage.
Thanks all!

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,376 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jan 25, 2016 19:21 as a reply to  @ dansmail26's post |  #10

I doubt you cleaned the sensor. You cannot really access the AF sensors that I know of. You probably blew off the mirror? If you put it into sensor clean mode, that is the actual sensor, and isn't used for focusing unless you use live view.

Again, like others stated, go through your AF modes and select a single AF point, like the center one, and try it again, Don't let the camera decide where to place focus.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,229 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Jan 25, 2016 19:32 |  #11

post some pics with exif...it sounds like the camera is fine to me...you need to adjust your settings

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

bogeypro
302 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jan 25, 2016 19:39 |  #12

Any chance this is set-up for back button AF & somehow you forgot? Don't ask me why I suggest this ........

dansmail26
THREAD ­ STARTER
359 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 25, 2016 19:41 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #13

Canon told me the AF sensor is directly below the mirror. You go into manual cleaning mode and the mirror moves out of the way so you can clean that sensor.

dansmail26
THREAD ­ STARTER
359 posts
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 25, 2016 19:42 as a reply to  @ DreDaze's post |  #14

I will getwith my wife and post some pics, sorry for the delay I appreciate the help.

Archibald
You must be quackers!
9,385 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 25, 2016 20:27 |  #15

dansmail26 wrote in post #17872852 (external link)
Canon told me the AF sensor is directly below the mirror. You go into manual cleaning mode and the mirror moves out of the way so you can clean that sensor.

No, that is the image sensor, not the AF sensor. I agree with TeamSpeed.

If the image sensor is dirty, then it is a good idea to clean it. But cleaning it won't help autofocus.

Set the camera so only one AF point is active. Consult the manual if you are uncertain about it. Put it into One Shot. Then do some focus tests. Place the active AF point right on the object being focused on.

C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

sponsored links

4,879 views & 1 like for this thread
60D Not Sharp, won't even focus at all sometimes
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.