Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 28 Jan 2016 (Thursday) 00:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How will Canon answer the Nikon D500 and when?

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
17,155 posts
Gallery: 1712 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Jul 2013

Jan 28, 2016 00:15 |  #1

I just read over the specs of the D500. As a 7Dii owner I must say I'm hoping Canon acts
and acts quickly. The D500 looks like a dream (200 raw buffer) machine for the sports/wildlife/BIFer.
And at this point who doesn't love a touch-tilting screen?

I think Canon got kicked pretty hard (5Dsr sells) by the Sony A7Rii and now Nikon is giving
them an upper cut with the left.

Thoughts?

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

sponsored links
tongard
353 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Apr 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by tongard.

Jan 28, 2016 01:26 |  #2

Why on earth would u hope canon will act quickly ? Isn't the 7d mk2 enough for you.
Are you a top pro that needs 200 raw buffer? And 150 something focus points. What ever you buy there's always something better .

Canon 6d, 7d2.
Canon 50 1.4, 28mm 2.8 is , 24-85, 24-105, 70-200 f4 is
Sigma 150-600

joeseph
"smells like turd"
9,830 posts
Gallery: 100 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Jan 28, 2016 02:53 |  #3

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #17875869 (external link)

me...

as far as "answering the Nikon D500" the lead time for design & manufacture of a new camera is probably around 2 years, whatever Canon come out with, they have had in the pipeline for a while.

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

Mathmans
274 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Apr 2014
Post edited over 3 years ago by Mathmans.

Jan 28, 2016 03:07 as a reply to  @ tongard's post |  #4

So tongard; why on earth do you need so many lenses?
And why do you need so many cameras? Why you need 6D when you have 40D with a grip and 400D and 50e?
Are those cameras not good enough for your professional needs?
Why you need 50 1.4 if you have Nifty fifty? Why you need studio lights if you have 2 flashes?
Why do I need 42inch flat LCD TV? Was my old 14inch CTR TV not good enough? Why do I need a car with 115HP?
Was my old Citroen Dyane with 21HP and 2 cilinders not good enough?
Should I go on?
Why 7DII if 7D was so outstanding camera when it came out? Why Canon users are waiting on 5DIV if 5DIII is so good?
Why they want 1Dx markII?

My photos:
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/149610703@N05/ (external link)

MedicineMan4040
THREAD ­ STARTER
17,155 posts
Joined Jul 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by MedicineMan4040.

Jan 28, 2016 03:53 as a reply to  @ tongard's post |  #5

Haha! I think I'll be petulant in response to you! I'm a top amateur in my own mind!
Hey some of us just like kit and we like playing with it too :)
That said I like Canon. I'm a CanaFanBoy. I hate to see them whooped up on.
And while I'm being petulant I collect kayaks too...oh I can hear your response 'how many
can you paddle at one time' Haha!-

IMAGE: https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3599/3763849971_0ac0b74049_z.jpg?zz=1
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/6JAH​t2  (external link) Kayak Flower (external link) by MedicineMan4040 (external link), on Flickr

flickr (external link)

MedicineMan4040
THREAD ­ STARTER
17,155 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Jan 28, 2016 03:55 as a reply to  @ joeseph's post |  #6

Do you think Canon saw the D500 coming?
Do you think the bells and whistles of the D500 are too 'consumer' for Canon?

Just good natured conversation Tonard....try to relax and get in the conversation.

flickr (external link)

Mathmans
274 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Jan 28, 2016 05:19 as a reply to  @ MedicineMan4040's post |  #7

Oh, it was not my intention to be petulant. I just can't stand, if someone ask me, why do I need something.
I think the show (development) must go on.
I hope I'll se the day when camera sensors will have the same dynamic range as my eyes.
Do I desperately need so wide dynamic range? Not at all, but it would be cool if camera could record
the scene exactly as I see it with my eyes.
Could be that we don't need new and better cameras but that's the way the world works - they produce and we buy.
I have hundreds of things I don't need for survival but I still bought them.
I didn't need my camera, I WANTED it. You see the difference?

By the way; nice one with the kayaks :-) I can bet it's nice to have such a collection.

My photos:

MedicineMan4040
THREAD ­ STARTER
17,155 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Jan 28, 2016 05:57 as a reply to  @ Mathmans's post |  #8

Mathmans, not you! It was Tongard that was pushing the button.
Sorry if you took offense.
I was trying to counter his petulance with my own in regard to what a pro needs or an amateur wants ;)

flickr (external link)

skid00skid00
511 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Jan 28, 2016 06:36 |  #9

Why isn't everyone asking why NIKON waited, what is it-10 YEARS?!, to replace the d300?

Mathmans
274 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Jan 28, 2016 07:12 as a reply to  @ skid00skid00's post |  #10

Oh no Medicine Man, I did not feel any offense; not at all.
I'm not very good with English so you could easily understand my writing wrong way.
I was just trying to say that people buy most stuf because they want them and not need them.
Like me, I want now toys all the time. I have my camera for 2 years and it does everything I ask (most of the time),
but I just want a new toy.

My photos:

MedicineMan4040
THREAD ­ STARTER
17,155 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Jan 28, 2016 07:25 as a reply to  @ skid00skid00's post |  #11

They may have waited 10 years but I think they really duded it up when then did it.

flickr (external link)

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,827 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by mwsilver. (11 edits in all)

Jan 28, 2016 07:48 |  #12

I just read over the specs of the D500. As a 7Dii owner I must say I'm hoping Canon acts
and acts quickly. The D500 looks like a dream (200 raw buffer) machine for the sports/wildlife/BIFer.

I think Canon got kicked pretty hard (5Dsr sells) by the Sony A7Rii and now Nikon is giving

Thoughts?

Well, some thoughts on this. I believe we all spend too much time looking at a cameras specs. The real question to my mind should be in, in what ways will a new body improve our photography. The 7D Mark II is a great body. Its been in the market place since November 2014. That's a full 16 months earlier than the availability of the D500 coming sometime this March. When you look at the camera as a whole it certainly looks like a major step up from the 7D2, but given that its available almost a year and a half later it should be, especially considering how long its been since the release of the D300. For me, its all about usability. While the D500 has an impressive set of specifications what does it mean in real world use?

Lets look at some of the specifics.

1. Bursts of 200 raw. I don't know about you, but I don't personally know anyone who would need that capability, although I'm sure some will take advantage of it. I rarely shoot bursts of more than 10-15 images and I suspect very few users would need bursts higher than what the 7D2 is capable of sustaining. Even then, who has the time to review 200 burst images to find the "right" one? That's certainly not something one could do often.

2. Even though the ISO is good to 1.3 million, testers have indicated that its starts to get noisy after ISO 12800. So if that is true then the issue is how does the D500 noise compare to the 7D2 up to 12800.

3. The D500 will apparently be able to calibrate to lenses more accurately and without all the effort that Canon users have to deal with. However, we have yet to see anything substantive on how well that works and whether it works better with some lenses than others

4. The very rugged looking articulating touch screen looks interesting, but for me, having owned a 60D with an articulating screen, its not something I would use much. It certainly could be useful for macro shooting on the ground. The touchscreen functionality of the D500 is somewhat limited and not something I really care about. The 3.2 " high resolution LCD does seem appealing.

5. Both the 7D2 and the D500 have a 20MP APS-C sensor, both shoot at 10fps, and both have a rugged professional body and a bright 100% view finder. Both have Flicker control. While the illuminated buttons on the D500 at first blush seem to be a useful feature, any photographer really familiar with his or her camera knows each button and control by touch so Illumination is pretty irrelevant IMHO.

6. The D500 sensor probably will have a wider dynamic range and may be marginally sharper because of the lack of a low pass filter. How much "better" the images will be has yet to be determined.

7. The 153 focus points are impressive, but one must look at the overall features and effectiveness of the AF system to determine if the their new focus system is a major improvement over Canons. Additionally, I believe that only something like 55 of them are user selectable. The rest are apparently assist points.

My point is the new D500 isn't even out yet. It's premature to post an epitaph for the 7D2. We don't know how the D500 will perform in the real world and whether in day to day use its improvements over the 7D2 are as profound as some would suggest. I would certainly hope its better. Nikon took a long time getting it here. And, of course after everything else, there is the price to consider. The D500 will cost $2000. Even when first introduced the 7D2 was $200 less and can be had today for $1500 regularly and is often available for far less. The D500 has a lot going for it if everything works as advertised, but just because Nikon has finally updated the D300 and raised the bar in several perforance areas doesn't mean the 7D2 suddenly turned in to a piece of crap. Hopefully, a new 1Dx will soon be announced and we'll be able to see the direction that Canon is going in.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab, Elements 15

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,078 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Aug 2010

Jan 28, 2016 08:05 |  #13

skid00skid00 wrote in post #17876064 (external link)
Why isn't everyone asking why NIKON waited, what is it-10 YEARS?!, to replace the d300?

I had a co-worker, a Nikon shooter, and all I heard from him all the time was, "Why won't Nikon make a professional quality APS-C camera like Canon does with the 7D and 7D II?" Needless to say, he's thrilled with finally getting what he's been wanting for a long time. So, you make an excellent point. It was Nikon that was so glacially slow in coming forth with the D500.

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, CV 40mm, FE 50mm ZA, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

MedicineMan4040
THREAD ­ STARTER
17,155 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Jan 28, 2016 15:40 |  #14

Mwsilver that was an excellent comparision.

flickr (external link)

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,436 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 28, 2016 15:48 |  #15

Thoughts?

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

Football is a very simple game. Twenty-two players chase a ball and Germany always win.

sponsored links

13,968 views & 39 likes for this thread
How will Canon answer the Nikon D500 and when?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.