Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk 
Thread started 26 Jan 2016 (Tuesday) 18:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

astro newbie questions (editing help)

basketballfreak6
Goldmember
1,499 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 26, 2016 18:28 |  #1

hi guys, fairly new to astrophotography (at least when it comes to shooting DSO), got a couple questions if anyone's able to help me

1. using the Astronomik CLS clip in filter on an unmodded 60D, does seem to do a good job with LP and also bringing out the redness of H-alpha but the pictures come out with a teal cast that i am struggling with (below is my editing attempt) i just feel like i am not quite getting the colours right any suggestions?

2. i read the description of some other people's images on like Astrobin and sometimes i see them mention taking a few shorter exposures to help bring out details of the (eg) core of the Orion when stacking, would that still be done via like Deep Space Stacker or would they have to do that in like Photoshop

thanks!

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1534/24008624423_47e9ec3d9d_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Czyt​Ap  (external link) Astronomik CLS filter test (external link) by Tony (external link), on Flickr

https://www.instagram.​com/tonyliuphotography​/ (external link)
flickr (external link)
5DIV, 5DIII, modified 760D, 16-35L f/4 IS, 24-70L II f/2.8, 70-200L IS II f/2.8, S150-600 f/5-6.3 SPORT, S14 f/1.8 ART, S50 f/1.4 ART, S135 f/1.8 ART, 100L IS Macro f/2.8

okieplainsdrifter
60 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 28, 2016 09:59 |  #2

I have that same filter and gave up trying to use it. It just left too much of a red cast in my shots. Shorter exposures will not help, it's all about getting the colors balanced in levels or curves in Photoshop which you have done a pretty good job at.

Niteclicks
161 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Jan 28, 2016 17:05 |  #3

The simplest way to balance is find an area without faint stuff or stars and click there I usually find that close enough to start. You can take a photo of a gray card with the filter in place (daylight open shade), put that in the same folder (makes it easy to find) white balance it ,copy settings - white balance and then apply that to your photo.

You should set your camera to something other than auto for white balance because the sky does vary in brightness thru the night and that will change the balance as the night progresses if set to auto, this will insure all your subs are the same. Save the gray card photo in camera ( lock it) and next time use it to set a custom white balance, however you will need to convert your subs to tiff ( if you use raw ) for most stacking programs to see the white balance property.

I am sure there are better ways, but this usually works for me. Below is my last attempt I didn't have time for multiple time frames and doesn't look like the weather is going to allow anything this year either.

Steve

IMAGE: http://src3rsteve.zenfolio.com/img/p594908076-5.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://src3rsteve.zenf​olio.com/p289498573/e2​37593ac  (external link)
ASTRO (external link)

basketballfreak6
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,499 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jan 28, 2016 17:19 |  #4

thanks for the reply fellas, what i've done before taking that shot was actually taking a photo of a white piece of paper during the day with the filter in place and used it for custom white balance as read somewhere else (and suggested by Eric at Astronomik himself), so was surprised to still see the strong teal coming through on the photo that night

looks like i have to get myself acquainted with levels and curves in photoshop, as i do most of my editing in lightroom (gulp), any tips on where to start? cheers

https://www.instagram.​com/tonyliuphotography​/ (external link)
flickr (external link)
5DIV, 5DIII, modified 760D, 16-35L f/4 IS, 24-70L II f/2.8, 70-200L IS II f/2.8, S150-600 f/5-6.3 SPORT, S14 f/1.8 ART, S50 f/1.4 ART, S135 f/1.8 ART, 100L IS Macro f/2.8

Niteclicks
161 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Jan 29, 2016 07:48 as a reply to  @ basketballfreak6's post |  #5

If you shoot raw in order to get the custom white balance into your stacked image you will need to use DPP to convert to tiff before stacking . The image used must be on the camera and it must be set as the custom WB before the frames are taken. It is a pain so I just deal with it after or not use the filter.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,333 views & 3 likes for this thread
astro newbie questions (editing help)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.