Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 28 Jan 2016 (Thursday) 18:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Selling images to local businesses

njstacker22
703 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Jan 28, 2016 18:08 |  #1

I am a real-estate photographer and over the summer I was asked to do a large community shoot for a local broker. This included images of local parks, stadiums, businesses and other attractions. During this shoot I ended up getting a few really nice shots of local businesses. As I sit here in the month of January and work has become slow I'm thinking of reaching out to some of these businesses to offer them usage of images that I have but I do have a few questions. For starters, is this frowned upon to solicit work that's already been completed? Is this common practice? I don't want to reach out to these businesses and have it backfire on me with them claiming that I infringed on them in any sort of way.

Looking for some thoughts and/or suggestions on if this is something that is worth considering. I shoot a ton of local real-estate but not much commercial work.

Sony A7ii [Sony FE 16-35mm f/4] [Sony FE 28-70mm] [Rokinon 135mm F2] [Sony 50mm 1.8]
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/djbigley/ (external link)

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,141 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jan 28, 2016 21:14 |  #2

The entire stock photo industry is based on what you are talking about - take photos on spec and license them later. As it is the business themselves that you intend to license them to there won't be any infringement of any sort - they are allowed to use their own logo etc in promoting their business.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Scott ­ Spellman
203 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2015

Jan 29, 2016 07:56 |  #3

My main concern would be to ask your prior client( the local broker) if they have any concerns. Many commercial clients want the images they paid you for to be exclusive, or at the least not used by their competition. This may not have been a clear discussion when you did the assignment, but it is far easier to keep an existing client happy vs finding new ones.

For other local establishments or if you happen to take new exterior photos- there are no concerns over "infringement". However, you will often find that most businesses will simply never pay for non-commissioned photography especially if the price is substantial. Instead of offering existing photos for licensing, you will probably get more sales by using the photos for your portfolio in general advertising.

njstacker22
THREAD ­ STARTER
703 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Jan 29, 2016 08:38 |  #4

Scott Spellman wrote in post #17877482 (external link)
My main concern would be to ask your prior client( the local broker) if they have any concerns. Many commercial clients want the images they paid you for to be exclusive, or at the least not used by their competition. This may not have been a clear discussion when you did the assignment, but it is far easier to keep an existing client happy vs finding new ones.

That is a great thought. The terms were very clear when I did the project that the images would not be licensed or sold to any competing brokers/agents. However, it was discussed about usage by the businesses and they were perfectly fine with that. If anything, I think if a business picked up the image they may be upset that a local RE office may be using the same one for advertisement.

Sony A7ii [Sony FE 16-35mm f/4] [Sony FE 28-70mm] [Rokinon 135mm F2] [Sony 50mm 1.8]
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/djbigley/ (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

980 views & 1 like for this thread
Selling images to local businesses
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.