Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 29 Jan 2016 (Friday) 01:27
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

sony a7 aperture priority with fixed iso?

telephoto500
155 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 29, 2016 01:27 |  #1

i googled a bunch trying to find the answer, and it seems like in aperture priority mode, the sony a7 doesn't do fixed iso? please correct me if i'm wrong.

does the new firmware fix this?

shuttertreasure.com
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/138443754@N08/ (external link)

sponsored links
mystik610
Cream of the Crop
9,160 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 29, 2016 13:34 |  #2

telephoto500 wrote in post #17877249 (external link)
i googled a bunch trying to find the answer, and it seems like in aperture priority mode, the sony a7 doesn't do fixed iso? please correct me if i'm wrong.

does the new firmware fix this?

It should be able to do fixed ISO if you set an ISO value

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀIV - α7ʀIII
Sigma 14-24 f2.8 ART - Zeiss Loxia 21 - Sigma 35 f1.2 ART - Sony 35 1.8 - Sony/Zeiss 55 1.8 - Sony 85GM

Nightdiver13
Unabashed nerd!
2,272 posts
Joined May 2010

Jan 29, 2016 13:42 |  #3

You should be able to set an ISO value while in A mode regardless of the firmware. But the last firmware for the A7 was back in June. Nothing since then. Not sure if that's the firmware you're referring to.

Neil

telephoto500
THREAD ­ STARTER
155 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 29, 2016 21:12 |  #4

i read everywhere that the camera likes to set the shutter speed to 1/60 while in a mode, what i understand now is that iso was also set to auto, and you have the option of setting it to a specific value?

thanks

shuttertreasure.com

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
9,160 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2012

Jan 29, 2016 21:48 |  #5

telephoto500 wrote in post #17878414 (external link)
i read everywhere that the camera likes to set the shutter speed to 1/60 while in a mode, what i understand now is that iso was also set to auto, and you have the option of setting it to a specific value?

thanks

Ah yeah it will set a minimum SS of 1/60s. They added an assignable minimum SS to the a7rII.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀIV - α7ʀIII
Sigma 14-24 f2.8 ART - Zeiss Loxia 21 - Sigma 35 f1.2 ART - Sony 35 1.8 - Sony/Zeiss 55 1.8 - Sony 85GM

maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,707 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Jan 29, 2016 22:06 |  #6

I have the original A7 and have never experienced any of this, reguardless what mode.

I just shot a picture at 1/20 in aperture priority like 15 minutes ago. I have Auto ISO turned off as well.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

telephoto500
THREAD ­ STARTER
155 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 29, 2016 22:13 as a reply to  @ maverick75's post |  #7

so the problem people are having with 1/60 shutter speed is only happening because ISO is set to auto? Sorry i just need to make sure of it before getting one.

shuttertreasure.com

dmward
Cream of the Crop
9,081 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 28, 2016 14:39 as a reply to  @ telephoto500's post |  #8

If the camera is set to Av mode and a specific ISO and F number are set then the camera will adjust the shutter speed as required to get a proper exposure considering EC dial setting.

If the camera is set to Av mode and auto ISO with a minimum shutter speed set, the camera will, when reaching set set minimum shutter speed begin to increase ISO until the proper exposure is achieved given the EC dial setting.

Considering the two options, Av mode with Auto ISO ensures manageable shutter speeds for hand holding along with lowest ISO for image quality. A useful combination.

David | Sharing my Insights, Knowledge & Experience (external link) | dmwfotos website (external link)

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,653 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Feb 28, 2016 16:40 |  #9

mystik610 wrote in post #17878461 (external link)
Ah yeah it will set a minimum SS of 1/60s. They added an assignable minimum SS to the a7rII.

And I don't understand why the heck Sony won't bring this functionality to all the other a7 cameras vmad

It's got to be my biggest gripe against my a7S... I hate that 1/60s minimum shutter, it needs to be more like 1/100s or faster.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-H1 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)www.LucasGPhoto.com (external link)

sponsored links

3,225 views & 0 likes for this thread
sony a7 aperture priority with fixed iso?
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.