Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 27 Jan 2016 (Wednesday) 00:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Photoshop: How do I add black under eye marks (football players)

fashionrider
Goldmember
1,093 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 27, 2016 00:57 |  #1

Hey guys,

Planning on shooting my baby girl with a football theme (since superbowl is coming up). I'd like to photoshop in the undereye black markings like how the players have. I'd rather not put anything on her skin and run the risk of it getting into her eyes so post-processing it is.

Links to tutorials or videos are best!

Gear List (5D3, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, Sigma 85mm f1.4, Sigma 35mm f1.4, 50 f1.8, 24-105L, Alien Bee lights, etc etc)

sponsored links
chauncey
Cream of the Crop
9,696 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 27, 2016 07:08 |  #2

Perhaps if we were made cognizant of your software...

The things you do for yourself die with you, the things you do for others live forever.
A man's worth should be judged, not when he basks in the sun, but how he faces the storm.

My stuff...http://1x.com/member/c​hauncey43 (external link)

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,455 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Jan 27, 2016 07:13 |  #3

chauncey wrote in post #17874668 (external link)
Perhaps if we were made cognizant of your software...

Well it does say PHOTOSHOP in the title so I think that is a clue.

You could try using a black paint brush.

Football is a very simple game. Twenty-two players chase a ball and Germany always win.

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,474 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by nathancarter.

Jan 27, 2016 07:16 |  #4

Here's what I would try first:
Add a new color fill layer layer, make it about 80% dark brown/black, change blend mode to multiply (or try some of the other darkening blend modes), mask off the whole layer with a black mask, then use a brush with a relatively hard edge (like 80% hardness?) to paint white onto the mask to reveal the stripes of eye-black.

Play around with the opacity of the layer, the different blend modes, and the color of the layer until you get something satisfying.

The actual eye-black has a little bit of shine to it. Therefore, to make it completely believable, you might need to add another layer that you can use to brush in a few shiny areas, that play nice with your actual lighting placement. Maybe a hue/sat layer with the sat pulled way back and the lightness made pretty bright? Again, masked to black then brushed in with white to reveal only a little bit.

Look at a google images search of "football eye black" to have a bunch of references handy.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

DagoImaging
Goldmember
1,910 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 27, 2016 07:19 |  #5

I'd agree...new layer, paint it in w/ a brush and play w/ blend mode and opacity

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M
https://designcostello​.com/ (external link)

Benitoite
Goldmember
4,751 posts
Gallery: 438 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2015

Jan 27, 2016 11:56 |  #6

fashionrider wrote in post #17874493 (external link)
Hey guys,

Planning on shooting my baby girl with a football theme (since superbowl is coming up). I'd like to photoshop in the undereye black markings like how the players have. I'd rather not put anything on her skin and run the risk of it getting into her eyes so post-processing it is.

Links to tutorials or videos are best!

https://books.google.c​om …hotoshop%20effe​ct&f=false (external link)

chakrade
33 posts
Joined Jan 2013

Jan 27, 2016 11:56 |  #7

Just use black paint brush with no feathering....and use a big brush.

kjonnnn
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Jan 30, 2016 11:06 |  #8

Id create a blank layer. Fill it with black. Reduce the size. Adjust the blend. THEN use TRANSFORM > WARP to make it appear its actually on the skin. This would harder with just a brush stroke.

DagoImaging
Goldmember
1,910 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Jan 31, 2016 10:16 |  #9

kjonnnn wrote in post #17879082 (external link)
Id create a blank layer. Fill it with black. Reduce the size. Adjust the blend. THEN use TRANSFORM > WARP to make it appear its actually on the skin. This would harder with just a brush stroke.

To add to this you could use a displacement map on the new layer and it would fit to the face perfectly this way.

Sony a6300/ 16-70/4 / 70-200/4 G / Sony HVL-60M
https://designcostello​.com/ (external link)

queenbee288
Cream of the Crop
5,610 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Dec 2004

Feb 10, 2016 13:15 |  #10

DagoImaging wrote in post #17880242 (external link)
To add to this you could use a displacement map on the new layer and it would fit to the face perfectly this way.

That's it!

sponsored links

2,993 views & 4 likes for this thread
Photoshop: How do I add black under eye marks (football players)
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.