Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 23 Jan 2016 (Saturday) 00:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 35L II worth it?

kchow510
24 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jan 23, 2016 00:28 |  #1

Has anyone got their hands on a 35L II? I want to see what people think about it before purchasing.

sponsored links
bildeb0rg
Goldmember
2,794 posts
Gallery: 228 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Jan 23, 2016 04:39 |  #2

Have a look in the lens sample section there's a thread in there that should have some pics by now

Vertigo1
310 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Jan 23, 2016 11:03 |  #3

Have used a 35L and own a 35 Art but have not tried the 35L II yet - might get a quick chance at an upcoming show.

From what I've read, it is slightly better than the Sigma but not by much and has weather sealing which the Sigma lacks. The focusing is also probably a bit more reliable but I can't say I've had any issues with my Sigma.

Basically I get the impression it's maybe 10-20% better than the Sigma but three times the price. Yes I'd love one and I lust after it but it makes no logical sense. As I already have the 35 Art, it'd cost me circa £1k to upgrade to the 35L II which is bonkers.

Canon 5D3/6D | EF 16-35 f/4L IS | EF 24-70 f/2.8L II | EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS II | EF 35 f/1.4L II | EF 50 f/1.4

Robinson ­ Crusoe
Goldmember
1,227 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Dec 2011

Jan 23, 2016 11:14 |  #4

I guess a lot of people -including me- will be in the same dilemma until the price drops to a reasonable amount(below 1200 would be nice ;-)a)

Gear List | Deviantart (external link) | Flickr (external link)

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
11,152 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Aug 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by David Arbogast. (3 edits in all)

Jan 23, 2016 11:36 |  #5

I am really interested about the lens, but the lens photo archive here on POTN and especially the one on Flickr (external link) are quite underwhelming. Not seeing the magic.

To be clear, though, I have no issue with anyone owning this lens purely to take photos of cats, kids, and girls, it's just that those sorts of photos are dreadfully uninspiring to me. It's a shame that the sample photos that Canon released to promote the lens appear to be the best photos anyone has ever taken with the lens to date (from all I've seen).

David | Flickr (external link)
Sony α7R II | CV 12mm, FE 12-24mm, Loxia 21mm, Loxia 35mm, CV 40mm, FE 50mm ZA, Loxia 85mm, Batis 85mm, Batis 135mm

rantercsr
Goldmember
2,940 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Jan 23, 2016 11:40 |  #6

considering it ... i've been wanting a 35mm for a loooong time as im not really happy with the 50 mm view.. i was ready to buy 35L but then mkii came out and
the fact that this one is weather sealed makes it even more temptimg..

but that price:-|

I got a couple of Cameras and lenses ...Canon, Sony, Fuji, Pansonic, pentax
My portraits IG (external link)My everything else IG (external link)
MY flickr (external link)
My latest YT video -->https://youtu.be/YzJ1o​eiHm7Y (external link)

notastockpikr
408 posts
Joined Aug 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by notastockpikr. (4 edits in all)

Jan 23, 2016 13:26 |  #7

I purchased the 35L II two weeks ago and besides the price, I'm happy with it. Wide open is very sharp, distortion is virtually non-existent and there seems to be nice OOF transition with very nice contrast. I also notice that this lens produces some nice micro-contarst. Focusing is fast, silent and accurate. The lens is heavy like 24-70L II heavy.

I passed on the Sigma 35A because every image I see from this lens seems to have a red cast to it. It's probably my eyes and could likely be corrected in post. I own the Sig 50A and while I like what the lens produces, focus inconsistencies do exist. I have the dock and have spent many hours with this lens and have gotten it to the point where it is the best it's going to be. Didn't want to go throught that again with the 35A.

My only other consideration for a 35mm would have been the Zeiss 35/1.4. Great micro-contrast and very nice OOF transition but distortion wide open was not great. This lens is MF which is not a consideration for me or a deal breaker.

The 35L II is expensive but I think for what the lens does and produces, the high price is worth it. I would think that I will have this lens for a long time. A caveat, these are my intial observations and limited because of crazy weather. I've not done exhaustive testing with charts, brick walls and lens MFA software.

nopiston
58 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined May 2011

Jan 25, 2016 14:34 |  #8

rantercsr wrote in post #17869648 (external link)
considering it ... i've been wanting a 35mm for a loooong time as im not really happy with the 50 mm view.. i was ready to buy 35L but then mkii came out and
the fact that this one is weather sealed makes it even more temptimg..

but that price:-|

I'm in the exact same boat. Might just pick up a used 35L while I wait for a better deal on a MKII to come along which may take 6-12 months still.

Canon 6D | 16-35mm f/2.8L II | 24-70mm f/2.8L II | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | 24-105mm f/4L IS | 35mm f/1.4L | 50mm f/1.4 | 2x III Extender
Feedback

kchow510
THREAD ­ STARTER
24 posts
Joined Sep 2012

Jan 25, 2016 23:48 |  #9

Thanks everyone for the input! Gonna go test the MK2 and Zeiss 35 out :D

InfiniteDivide
"I wish to be spared"
2,844 posts
Gallery: 265 photos
Joined Dec 2013
Post edited over 3 years ago by InfiniteDivide. (2 edits in all)

Jan 25, 2016 23:54 |  #10

Every time I consider spending money on a 35mm, I take out my 24mm, go shoot, and forget all about it. :)
Nothing beats a fast prime, just make sure it's the right Fl for your desired results.

I did try out the my 35L II on my camera at the lens shop. It was heavier than I expected. More than the MKI
The Sigma's about the same as the 35L II, perhaps the share the same internals. ;)

James Patrus
6D | 16-35L F4 | 24L II | 50L | 100L | |  -> Website (external link) & Gallery (external link)
For Sale:Canon 16-35mm f4 IS l Do you enjoy Super Famicom games? (external link) PM me directly.

ben805
Goldmember
1,197 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 28, 2016 14:52 |  #11

"Canon 35L II worth it?"

Stingray Corvette worth it? 2-stage snowblower worth it? Six cores processor worth it? Bespoke suits worth it?

5D Mark III, Samyang 14mm, 35LII, 85L II, 100L IS Macro, 24-105L, 70-200L 2.8 IS II. 580EX, AB400, AB800.

ammo
208 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 29, 2016 10:42 |  #12

I'm in love with my 35mm mark 1. It's sucha great lens, It never misses a beat, i don't know what more I'd really want it to do!

Check me out :)
Wedding Photographer Cornwall (external link)My Facebook (external link)
My Flickr (external link)
Cornwall Wedding Photographer (external link)

tigtillinghast
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jan 2016

Jan 30, 2016 20:59 |  #13

I've had the 35mm II for about a couple months now. I doubt anything is sharper, but there are lenses that are pretty close. The autofocus is rock solid and zippy. I tested it on my 7d2 against the Sigma 18-35 Art, and I found it noticeably (but not hugely) sharper. For those who use the 18-35, you'll know that is a very, very high compliment, as it bests even Sigmas' 35mm Art prime. To tell the differences, it's serious pixel peeping.

But is it worth it? Probably not for most people. I got the Tamron 15-30 for my full frame body, and the 30mm on that lens is sharp enough that I don't think it's worth keeping the 35L, even with the couple extra stops of light. I will likely sell it when the 5d4 comes out to help fund the upgrade, and maybe think about picking up the new Tamron 35 1.8, which is downright cheap. It has VC, which I like, but I'll want to make sure the autofocus is consistent enough - a problem mentioned in a couple reviews.

mebailey
Goldmember
1,992 posts
Joined Jul 2005
Post edited over 3 years ago by mebailey.

Jan 31, 2016 09:11 |  #14

I have had the 35II for a couple of months and it has replaced my 85mm for many portrait situations. I had an original 35L which sat in my bag due to focus accuracy issues and fringing artifacts wide open. The new lens is much more reliable focusing and essentially eliminated the CA wide open. Additionally, it is much sharper across the whole frame than the original especially wide open. Most of the reviews I have read seem to favor this opinion.

As for whether or not its worth it, that is an individual decision based on ones own standards and financial situation. These posts simply provide data points with which to help direct each photographer to the right choice for their situation...

My Gear

mcluckie
I play with fire, run with scissors and skate on thin ice all at once!
2,059 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Jan 31, 2016 09:52 |  #15

mebailey wrote in post #17880154 (external link)
I have had the 35II for a couple of months and it has replaced my 85mm for many portrait situations. I had an original 35L which sat in my bag due to focus accuracy issues and fringing artifacts wide open. The new lens is much more reliable focusing and essentially eliminated the CA wide open. Additionally, it is much sharper across the whole frame than the original especially wide open.

Wait, a 35mm replaced an 85 for portraits? Isn't focal length your first choice?

I had a 35L and most original L primes. The wides sucked and I went Zeiss, but as much as I love MF, I like to shoot 35 with AF (something about what I shoot with that length and the time I have to capture).

6 months ago I wanted a fast 35 and options were a slow plastic 35IS and the Sigma. I'm so old that Sigma has a huge stigma. I kept them both for now, the Sigma for wide open and the 35IS for bad light where the Sigma can't focus. I'd consider selling both for the 35LII but I'm not sure what I'd gain besides build. Canon wides have been so historically lame that I still need more proof.

multidisciplinary visual guy | traveler on the 8-fold path | seeker of the spark | walker of the dog
all dingus | dslr canon 5D4, 85L, 70-200LII zeiss distagon 15, 21, 25, 28, 50ƒ1.4 milvus; vario-sonnar N 24-85; makro planar 50, 100 mirrorless leica Q2 fujifilm XT-2, XT-20, 16, 18, 56, 16-55, 50-140; zeiss distagon 12, planar 32 film canon 1n hasselblad 501cm, 50, 80

sponsored links

5,855 views & 8 likes for this thread
Canon 35L II worth it?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.