Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 31 Jan 2016 (Sunday) 12:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

weird aperture issue, lens won't go to widest setting

Jedi ­ McAndrew
176 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 31, 2016 12:44 |  #1

Not sure where this ought to go, didn't see a troubleshooting forum.
In any case, on vacation last week my camera took a dump in a pretty cold semi-wet setting. Was at a waterfall, it was snowing lightly, camera died on me.
Took the batteries out, let it set over night, it came back mostly fine, with the one exception being that the aperture won't go wider than 4 with the tokina lens I was using while it died. Tested other lenses which all seem to have full aperture range.
Tell me I didn't bork my new tokina 11-16 f/2.8.
FWIW, the body is a canon 50D and the lens is a tokina 11-16 f2.8 dxII (which was great for the landscapes I took in Iceland).
Any suggestions?

Not sure if related, but in the illumination correction settings my 50D seems to think the lens is a 12-24 for some reason.

My PhotoBucket (external link)
50D and kit lens. Yeah I'm too broke to get new lenses. :)

sponsored links
nqjudo
Goldmember
3,173 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 31, 2016 12:50 |  #2

Did you give the contacts a good cleaning?

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

Jedi ­ McAndrew
THREAD ­ STARTER
176 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 31, 2016 12:52 |  #3

No, but that seems a reasonable place to start.

What's the recommended method for doing so? Lint free cloth, alcohol?

nqjudo
Goldmember
3,173 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jan 31, 2016 12:58 |  #4

You can go at them with some alcohol if you wish but the generally accepted method is an eraser.

No photographer is as good as the simplest camera. - Edward Steichen.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,089 posts
Gallery: 1546 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Jan 31, 2016 13:00 |  #5

Jedi McAndrew wrote in post #17880440 (external link)
Not sure where this ought to go, didn't see a troubleshooting forum.
In any case, on vacation last week my camera took a dump in a pretty cold semi-wet setting. Was at a waterfall, it was snowing lightly, camera died on me.
Took the batteries out, let it set over night, it came back mostly fine, with the one exception being that the aperture won't go wider than 4 with the tokina lens I was using while it died. Tested other lenses which all seem to have full aperture range.
Tell me I didn't bork my new tokina 11-16 f/2.8.
FWIW, the body is a canon 50D and the lens is a tokina 11-16 f2.8 dxII (which was great for the landscapes I took in Iceland).
Any suggestions?

Not sure if related, but in the illumination correction settings my 50D seems to think the lens is a 12-24 for some reason.

Heya,

Probably the lens. Clean the contacts, dry the lens in rice, etc. I would also consider putting both under some UV lights for a while to ensure any fungus isn't growing now that they got wet.

How long ago did you get the lens?

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Jedi ­ McAndrew
THREAD ­ STARTER
176 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 31, 2016 13:04 |  #6

Had the lens for about a month, got it specifically for this trip to Iceland I just go back from. They didn't get super wet, just some moisture beads on the outer casing as far as I could tell, but I'll take your advice.

sandpiper
Cream of the Crop
7,171 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2006

Jan 31, 2016 16:41 |  #7

nqjudo wrote in post #17880453 (external link)
You can go at them with some alcohol if you wish but the generally accepted method is an eraser.

NO, that is not the generally accepted method, it is simply one that some people recommend because they believe it is ok to do so. The contacts have a very thin plating on them and erasers are abrasive by their nature. please do not go around telling people this is how to clean the contacts on their gear.

Enough people have been doing this that Canon have issued the following warning:

"Warning: do not clean lens contacts on either a Canon lens or the camera body with an eraser! It’s incredibly easy to rub off the gold plating on these contacts, and end up with data communication problems, even if that wasn’t the original source of the problem! It’s obviously a good idea to clean the contacts if a lens communication error is reported, but our strong recommendation is to use a soft, clean cloth, perhaps moistened with isopropyl alcohol if you feel the contacts are smudged with fingerprint oil or similar debris and really need a cleaning agent. Again, do not use anything abrasive, and to repeat: do not use an eraser!"

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
20,476 posts
Joined Dec 2002

Jan 31, 2016 17:15 |  #8

nqjudo wrote in post #17880453 (external link)

I would not say that the "eraser method" is "generally accepted" by folks who know what they are working with. Using an eraser on gold plated contacts is definitely NOT the best method to clean them. Most erasers (the exception being an extremely soft white drafting eraser) are far too abrasive for the gold contacts and will quickly ruin them.

The soft lint-free cloth dampened (not flooded) with isopropyl alcohol is one of the best tools for cleaning gold plated contacts like those between our cameras and lenses.

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and over 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

Jedi ­ McAndrew
THREAD ­ STARTER
176 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jan 31, 2016 19:13 |  #9

I cleaned up the contacts (which frankly seemed pretty clean already anyway) and still have the issue.

sponsored links

933 views & 2 likes for this thread
weird aperture issue, lens won't go to widest setting
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.