Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 31 Jan 2016 (Sunday) 21:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Ugrade or not on medium zoom lens

ferraro
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Jan 31, 2016 21:20 |  #1

Besides my Uni lecturer career, I was a photographer in the 70s, yes, kodakchrome and A1 canons, doing practically all my wildlife thing with FD 200F2.8, 300F:4L (+2X ext) and macro Vivitar 90F2.8 macro
Now I do normally video and photography for timelapses so my biggest output is 4K or 5K. Sold my video gear 2 years ago to enter the DSLR world, two Canon 70D bodies.
Long lens for wildlife, up to near 1500mm with the 70-300L, great lens, by the way...
Landscapes, sunsets, warefalls are done mainly with the 10-22, occasionally use the 18-55, very few times use the fusheye or the 50.
When you read a review the technicallity arises and many of the lens are practically garbage bin candidates, unless they are the 1000$+ units of the brands.
I've thinking a lot if it is justified to change the 18-55 for something better, used, not exceeding the 400$ range but the only decent option available seems to be the 15-85, or getting the 85 from Samyang.
Not having the oportunity to test the 15-85, I've read a lot and some say it is a lot better that the 18-55, others did not notice a big difference and so on, all based on photography, not on video.
I am wondering if someone could give me an advise on the matter.
Thanks in advance
Carlo

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,897 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Jan 31, 2016 21:27 |  #2

pretty much everything will be better than the 18-55.

I like my tokina 16-28, it is a full frame lens, heavy, and won't accept regular screw on filters, but it is sharp and fast.

Previously I owned the tamron 17-50 non VC and it too was a great upgrade from the 18-55 kit lens.

the tamron can be had for 250-300 bucks used

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Ralph ­ III
Goldmember
1,345 posts
Joined Mar 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by Ralph III. (4 edits in all)

Jan 31, 2016 22:59 |  #3

ferraro wrote in post #17881000 (external link)
.....I've thinking a lot if it is justified to change the 18-55 for something better, used, not exceeding the 400$ range but the only decent option available seems to be the 15-85, or getting the 85 from Samyang.
Not having the oportunity to test the 15-85, I've read a lot and some say it is a lot better that the 18-55, others did not notice a big difference and so on....

Hello OP,
I've owned quite a few lenses as follows most of which I used on APSC cameras (30d, 40d, 50d):

1) Canon 15-85mm
2) Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 HSM
3) Canon 18-55mm (various versions)
4) Canon 18-135mm (original)
5) Canon 18-135mm (STM)
6) Sigma 18-250mm HSM
7) Canon 24-105mm f4 L
8) Tamron 28-75mm f2.8
9) Canon 28-135mm
10) Tamron 70-300mm
11) Canon 80-200mm f2.8 L
12) Canon 50mm f1.8
13) Sigma 50mm f1.4
14) Tamron 60mm f2.0 Macro
15) Canon 85mm f1.8

Some of those lenses are irrelevant to your inquiry but I'm just trying to give my insight. If I were replacing the 18-55mm kit lens, which I originally did long years ago, there are two clear cut favorites IMHO and one somewhat distant third place.

*The Canon 15-85mm has always been my favorite walk around or general purpose lens for the APSC. It is a razor sharp lens and quite a bit better then the kit lens.

*The Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 HSM is another excellent walk around or general purpose for the APSC. I've been using this one exclusively lately because the faster aperture is much more desirable to me than the slightly longer reach of the 15-85mm. The Sig just makes a much better portrait lens and low light performer. It really is a joy to use.

*The Canon 18-135mm STM is another excellent lens but it really is a distant third for me; because, it's not as wide as either of the above lenses (15mm vs 18mm is a lot more than it sounds, a lot) and it can't compare to the f2.8 of the Sigma.

It really depends on what you desire. If you don't do low light, portrait or isolation type shots then you cannot beat the Canon 15-85mm as strictly a general purpose lens. However, if you do prefer the ability to do some portrait shots or isolation or low light shots then I'd go with the Sigma. You can always add a second lens for the longer ranges or specialized; but the Sigma 17-50mm f2.8 is more diverse because it also covers wide angles -and- it has a fixed/faster aperture. It also costs less.

I hope this helps.

God Bless,
Ralph

"SOUTHERN and SAVED!"
POTN FEEDBACK...............ITEMS FOR SALE

ferraro
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Feb 01, 2016 00:16 as a reply to  @ Ralph III's post |  #4

Thanks for your response.
I am not worried about low light. It doesn't matter on my videos and much less on time lapse since the preferred speed starts at 1/20 up to 5-6 secs, many times I need to use a 1000x neutral density filter or a 3x stopping down to f18+.
I do most of landscapes with the 10-22 but sometimes I need to go longer, that is why I want to upgrade the 18-55, not bad for video unless you go over 800 iso, then everything falls apart in terms of everything. Besides that I need to overlap a little bit with the 70-300L so my conclussion is obvious, I need to go after the 15-85..
Cheers
Carlo

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,346 posts
Gallery: 1718 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 01, 2016 04:46 |  #5

ferraro wrote in post #17881000 (external link)
Besides my Uni lecturer career, I was a photographer in the 70s, yes, kodakchrome and A1 canons, doing practically all my wildlife thing with FD 200F2.8, 300F:4L (+2X ext) and macro Vivitar 90F2.8 macro
Now I do normally video and photography for timelapses so my biggest output is 4K or 5K. Sold my video gear 2 years ago to enter the DSLR world, two Canon 70D bodies.
Long lens for wildlife, up to near 1500mm with the 70-300L, great lens, by the way...
Landscapes, sunsets, warefalls are done mainly with the 10-22, occasionally use the 18-55, very few times use the fusheye or the 50.
When you read a review the technicallity arises and many of the lens are practically garbage bin candidates, unless they are the 1000$+ units of the brands.
I've thinking a lot if it is justified to change the 18-55 for something better, used, not exceeding the 400$ range but the only decent option available seems to be the 15-85, or getting the 85 from Samyang.
Not having the oportunity to test the 15-85, I've read a lot and some say it is a lot better that the 18-55, others did not notice a big difference and so on, all based on photography, not on video.
I am wondering if someone could give me an advise on the matter.
Thanks in advance
Carlo

Heya,

So, the 15-85, stopped down, isn't going to be much different from a good 18-55 stopped down. The 15-85 is an F5.6 lens at the long end too. So you're really just gaining focal range. So unless you need the 15mm wide end, I would actually say that if you want to get something with a ton of focal range, IS, STM, etc, look at a 18-135 STM instead. Gives you your overlap.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

ferraro
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Apr 2014

Feb 01, 2016 13:43 as a reply to  @ MalVeauX's post |  #6

Yes,you are right, unless I get a good offer for the 15-85, I'll keep the 18-55 IS STM as I am using it now: 5.6 + apertures. Thanks

sponsored links

1,083 views & 0 likes for this thread
Ugrade or not on medium zoom lens
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.