Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 27 Jan 2016 (Wednesday) 18:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What makes a photographer when everyone is taking pictures

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,089 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 01, 2016 18:03 |  #241

Pekka wrote in post #17882123 (external link)
What I find interesting is that why people are so obsessive to define other people and give deep mixed meanings to simple nouns. If someone wants to call him/herself a photographer, then by all means let them do so.

Do not judge or define anyone based on some words, unless you get to see/hear/feel the output, whether it is images, paintings, speeches, sculptures, programs, musical compositions, cuisine, boat building, bass playing, whatever.

Anyone can call self a Chef, and so be it. The proof is in the pudding.

And even after having made some "judgement" in your mind, like it or not: what they want to call themselves is entirely up to themselves, it is really not your business at all :)

I get it. I knew a guy who was on the periphery of my social circle. He self identified as a photographer. He had a half dozen bodies and maybe that many lenses. He wore a canon vest everywhere. The man had zero talent but he had a knack for wiggling his way into events and borrowing credibility by sucking up to local event organizers. I have to admit it bugged me that people who knew us both, but werent familiar with his work, just his omnipresent camera, held us in equal standing. I know it shouldnt bother me, but the man was a totally annoying wannabee.

sponsored links
Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
15,552 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Feb 01, 2016 18:08 |  #242

Bassat wrote in post #17875849 (external link)
Yes. Yes. No, there is no chemical reaction there. Cream dissolving in water (coffee) is a physical reaction.

I am not hiding behind anything. The ENTIRE point of language is to communicate. Seems everyone in this thread wants to qualify the word photographer without using a qualifier. The lot of us will never come up with a common definition beyond: one who makes photographs. If each one of you has your own definition of the word, nobody is communicating anything with anyone else when using the word. THAT makes the word meaningless. Using it in a standard, broadly accepted context IS the meaning of the word. Like I said, if you want to qualify the word, add a qualifier. That way everyone will know what you are talking about. You will actually be communicating. Everything else is just talking.

Cream dissolving into water is technically a homogeneous solution, therefore he's a chemist :twisted:

Sony A7riii/A9 - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - CV 21/3.5 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

LV ­ Moose
Moose gets blamed for everything.
23,339 posts
Gallery: 205 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 01, 2016 18:08 |  #243

gonzogolf wrote in post #17882142 (external link)
wannabee.

I have a couple of those batteries.

Oh, wait...

Moose

Gear... Flickr (external link)...Flickr 2 (external link)...
Macro (external link)...Hummingbirds (external link)
Aircraft (external link)

Chiefy
Goldmember
2,438 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2012
Post edited over 3 years ago by Chiefy. (3 edits in all)

Feb 01, 2016 18:09 |  #244

Anyone can point a camera at something and take a snapshot. A photographer, points their lens at something with meaning. A photographer wants to tell a story, convey an emotion, change the world or simply inform of you an event that might enlighten you and change your opinion.

I could go on and on, but in essence, a photographer makes an image, an amateur takes an image.

1DX Mark II/5D Mk IV - 16-35L f4 IS - 135L - 24-70L f2.8 IS II - 70-200L f2.8 IS II- 100-400 IIL IS - 100 Macro f2.8L IS - 85mm 1.4 IS L - Σ 35 1.4 Art - Σ 50 1.4 Art - Σ 18-250 - TC 1.4 II - EF 12/25 II - Profoto A1 - Manfrotto 055CXPRO3/Really Right Stuff BH55
Flickr (external link)

absplastic
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by absplastic. (5 edits in all)

Feb 01, 2016 18:24 |  #245

LV Moose wrote in post #17882136 (external link)
With a topic like this, you can't really prove anyone right or wrong. It's totally subjective, and everyone has their own opinion.

The man who invented the word photograph, Sir John Herschel, was a scientist: chemist, botanist, astronomer and mathematician. While the roots of the word in modern Greek refer to light and drawing or writing, the suffix -graph and -graphy as used in English (in Herschel's time and ours) denote writing primarily in the sense of recording data.

-graphy
word-forming element meaning "process of writing or recording" or "a writing, recording, or description" (in modern use especially in forming names of descriptive sciences)

Herschel did not identify as an artist. He wanted to make permanent records of what he saw through his telescopes. The process he named photography, was a scientific recording process with zero artistic intent.

PJ's re-definition of photographer would exclude even the man who gave us the word.

5DSR, 6D, 16-35/4L IS, 85L II, 100L macro, Sigma 150-600C
SL1, 10-18 STM, 18-55 STM, 40 STM, 50 STM
My (mostly) Fashion and Portraiture Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link) (NSFW)

LV ­ Moose
23,339 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by LV Moose. (2 edits in all)

Feb 01, 2016 18:29 as a reply to  @ absplastic's post |  #246

Defining photograph, and photography, is not the same as trying to define photographer.

It becomes easier when you start putting words before it, like amateur, professional, war, wedding, and so on. Technically, you could argue that anyone who takes a photograph is a photographer, if only for an instant. But I'm sure that's not the point being argued here.

It makes sense in one way, but then makes about as much sense as saying someone who nails two boards together is a carpenter.

There's just no right answer, or definition.

Moose

Aircraft (external link)

rantercsr
Goldmember
2,891 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Feb 01, 2016 18:36 |  #247

round and round we go

I got a couple of Cameras and lenses ...Canon, Sony, Fuji, Pansonic, pentax
My portraits IG (external link)My everything else IG (external link)
MY flickr (external link)
My latest YT video -->https://youtu.be/YzJ1o​eiHm7Y (external link)

LV ­ Moose
23,339 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 01, 2016 18:37 |  #248

rantercsr wrote in post #17882175 (external link)
round and round we go

yup

Moose

Aircraft (external link)

absplastic
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 01, 2016 18:38 |  #249

LV Moose wrote in post #17882166 (external link)
Defining photograph, and photography, is not the same as trying to define photographer.

Not sure what you mean. Grammatically, photographer is just an agent of photography; it's defined as one who does photography.

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,476 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Jan 2007
Post edited over 3 years ago by JeffreyG.

Feb 01, 2016 18:41 |  #250

Well, like I said before, if you think you might be a photographer I can help. Just send me a portfolio of your work and a check for $1000. If you are indeed a genuine photographer I'll let you know.

I'll even send you a handy certificate of authenticity, which, as everyone knows, mean you will be really authentic.

This is even a great deal for you picture takers out there. Now for just $1000 you can find out that you are really just a picture taken and avoid the shame of describing yourself as a photographer while your friends and family just laugh up their sleeves at your hack work.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

LV ­ Moose
23,339 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 01, 2016 18:45 |  #251

absplastic wrote in post #17882181 (external link)
Not sure what you mean. Grammatically, photographer is just an agent of photography; it's defined as one who does photography.

Well, that's (one of) my point(s). So anyone with a cell phone that takes a happy snap is a photographer? Obviously, not everyone agrees, or this thread would have been very short.

Moose

Aircraft (external link)

absplastic
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by absplastic. (5 edits in all)

Feb 01, 2016 18:49 |  #252

LV Moose wrote in post #17882166 (external link)

It becomes easier when you start putting words before it, like amateur, professional, war, wedding, and so on. Technically, you could argue that anyone who takes a photograph is a photographer, if only for an instant. But I'm sure that's not the point being argued here.

I get it, you clearly get it also. But some people in this thread are making no logical separation between:

Photographer the literal dictionary definition, as defined in 1843
Photographer the profession (same as definition, just with a number of possible adjectives such as "professional" implied/assumed, usually from context)
Photographer as an identifier (one who considers photography important to their identity)
Photographer as some sort of romanticized artist (PJ's personal white-list of approved artists).

In the end, the main confusion here is from some peoples' unwillingness to acknowledge the existence and purpose of adjectives. If you mean fine-art photographer, just bloody say fine-art photographer, don't try to convince everyone that <fill in the adjective> photographers are the only true photographers and everyone else is a "picture taker", this is nothing more than a failure to use language properly.

I found it particularly ironic that the very descriptions some people had for what they considered non-photographers, such as people "just making a record of a scene" was in fact the actual original intended meaning of photographer.

LV ­ Moose
23,339 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 01, 2016 18:53 as a reply to  @ absplastic's post |  #253

Can't argue with any of that. :-)

Moose

Aircraft (external link)

LV ­ Moose
23,339 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by LV Moose.

Feb 01, 2016 18:56 as a reply to  @ JeffreyG's post |  #254

Jeffrey, check and portfolio are in the mail!

Moose

Aircraft (external link)

OhLook
Spiderwoman
17,976 posts
Gallery: 72 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2012

Feb 01, 2016 19:00 |  #255

Chiefy wrote in post #17882147 (external link)
Anyone can point a camera at something and take a snapshot. A photographer, points their lens at something with meaning. A photographer wants to tell a story, convey an emotion, change the world or simply inform of you an event that might enlighten you and change your opinion.

Or maybe the photographer wants to make a living.

I could go on and on, but in essence, a photographer makes an image, an amateur takes an image.

I'm sure you have in mind a more major distinction between making and taking than I understand from the ordinary meanings of those words, because I don't get how a person can make an image without taking an image or vice versa.

PRONOUN ADVISORY: OhLook is a she. | A FEW CORRECT SPELLINGS: lens, aperture, amateur, hobbyist, per se, raccoon, whoa, more so (2 wds.), shoo-in | IMAGE EDITING OK

sponsored links

36,943 views & 220 likes for this thread
What makes a photographer when everyone is taking pictures
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.