Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 28 Jan 2016 (Thursday) 00:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How will Canon answer the Nikon D500 and when?

tongki
439 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 30, 2016 02:20 |  #31

mwsilver wrote in post #17876118 (external link)
Hopefully, a new 1Dx will soon be announced and we'll be able to see the direction that Canon is going in.

I would prefer Canon new APS-H body, the new 1D mark V or something like that

APS-H if you do know and use it, got advantage,
you can use 17-40mm like having a slightly wider than 24mm on FF using 24-70mm

EOS 70D x 2 units + EOS 7D mark II x3 units
Newton FR3, Newton modified bracket, EF 17-40mm x4,EF 24-70mm f/2.8 x2, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 x2
Quantum Trio x2, T5D-R x1 + FW7Q x1, CoPilot x2, Godox AD-180 x5
Propac PB960 head x12, PB960 battery x10
sorry, no stupid speedlite from Canon !

sponsored links
tongki
439 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jan 30, 2016 02:29 |  #32

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #17877167 (external link)
I went retro with my last purchase in a 1Div and I'll never even come close to mastering that camera of so long ago!

I am mastering 1D mark IV for around 3 years,
that is the best camera body and I like it so much, fact is, sensor technology and ISO performance already outdated
Other than that, 1D mark IV is really the camera that can feel and communicate excellent with me,
all I want from a DSLR is there, I found limitations when using 5D mark II, at that time

I don't like 1Dx and still wanting new 1D mark V, especially using dual SD card slots

EOS 70D x 2 units + EOS 7D mark II x3 units
Newton FR3, Newton modified bracket, EF 17-40mm x4,EF 24-70mm f/2.8 x2, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 x2
Quantum Trio x2, T5D-R x1 + FW7Q x1, CoPilot x2, Godox AD-180 x5
Propac PB960 head x12, PB960 battery x10
sorry, no stupid speedlite from Canon !

MedicineMan4040
THREAD ­ STARTER
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
17,094 posts
Gallery: 1707 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Jul 2013

Jan 30, 2016 05:41 as a reply to  @ tongki's post |  #33

So Tongki I take it you'd like Canon's answer to the D500 to be a return to the 1.3 crop?
It does seem best of both worlds doesn't it....better ISO tuan a 1.5 crop but more 'reach'/pixels on subject
than full frame.
I think the consensus is that Canon will never return to the APS-H sensor, one reason why I added one while
I could.
It would be an interesting answer to the D500's sensor.....

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,265 posts
Gallery: 485 photos
Joined Oct 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by KenjiS.

Feb 01, 2016 14:53 |  #34

Keep in mind a few things

1. It takes years of R&D to make a camera, Especially a Prosumer/High end level camera like the D500, Canon cannot simply pull something from thin air to "answer" the D500 unless they already had intel it was under development

2. The D500 is in many ways an "answer" to the 7D and 7DII that have been unopposed for years now since the Nikon D300S which was a "warmed up" D300...

3. The answer would be the 7DIII most likely. Thats probubly next year at the earliest, This year is 6DII probubly. Maybe a 5DIV.

That said, i do love the tilt-flip screen, For macro photography I would adore having it. In fact i adore it on my GX7. So I do hope Canon finally offers one on something like the 6DII or 7DIII...

We'll be getting a taste of Canon's new sensor tech with the 1DXII, I doubt Canon will be staying "behind" Nikon/Sony... These companies play a long game, Everything is decided YEARS in advance. Silicon/semiconductor stuff takes a while to plan out, fab and etc, new sensor tech takes years to develop and any setbacks will hurt production numbers. They also know things we dont.

I really doubt a return to 1.3 crop, We've heard that a lot, 1.3 crop APS-H was a stopgap, Now we can easily get the same performance from full frame and APS-C has dedicated lenses, it makes zero logical sense to throw APS-H out again. APS-H was from when they could not produce full frame sensors economically enough and processors could not keep up with the data readout from FF sensors at high advance rates.

Gear, New and Old! RAW Club Member
Wanted: 70-200. Time and good health
Deviantart (external link)
Flickr (This is where my good stuff is!) (external link)

MedicineMan4040
THREAD ­ STARTER
17,094 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Feb 02, 2016 04:24 |  #35

Just read the D5 was answered and in a big 1DXii way :)
I'd expect 7Diii within the next year now.

flickr (external link)

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Feb 02, 2016 04:59 |  #36

I am confused by threads like this one. Does anyone who actually pays for his own gear switch brands every time one MFR one-ups the other? Doesn't that get expensive? I've spent enough money going through 7 or 8 different Canon bodies. (Lets see: Elan 7, 7N, 7Ne, 450D, 500D, 60D, 5D, 7D, 70D, 6D, 1D, 1DII - Whoa! Too many.) I don't see selling off $10,000 worth of glass just to replace it with the other guy's stuff, just to do it all again when the other MFR gets a leg up? Or do you just keep complete sets of Canon and Nikon glass, and switch bodies every other year or so?

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,818 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 02, 2016 07:52 |  #37

Bassat wrote in post #17882730 (external link)
I am confused by threads like this one. Does anyone who actually pays for his own gear switch brands every time one MFR one-ups the other? Doesn't that get expensive? I've spent enough money going through 7 or 8 different Canon bodies. (Lets see: Elan 7, 7N, 7Ne, 450D, 500D, 60D, 5D, 7D, 70D, 6D, 1D, 1DII - Whoa! Too many.) I don't see selling off $10,000 worth of glass just to replace it with the other guy's stuff, just to do it all again when the other MFR gets a leg up? Or do you just keep complete sets of Canon and Nikon glass, and switch bodies every other year or so?

I agree. And further, this neurotic desire some people have to switch brands to constantly get the best implies the gear they got last year which took great images is suddenly crap because something new and better is on the market. The differences and improvements between camera to camera and year to year are far more subtle in everyday use than some will acknowledge. Some of these folks are probably gear heads rather than photographers. Buying and owning the best gear is really their hobby. Unless there is a specific reason for upgrading I don't do it. I had my 60D for 5 years before I updated to the 7D Mark II. I upgraded primarily for the the feature set, not the image quality.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab, Elements 15

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,265 posts
Joined Oct 2008
Post edited over 3 years ago by KenjiS.

Feb 02, 2016 23:39 |  #38

mwsilver wrote in post #17882820 (external link)
I agree. And further, this neurotic desire some people have to switch brands to constantly get the best implies the gear they got last year which took great images is suddenly crap because something new and better is on the market. The differences and improvements between camera to camera and year to year are far more subtle in everyday use than some will acknowledge. Some of these folks are probably gear heads rather than photographers. Buying and owning the best gear is really their hobby. Unless there is a specific reason for upgrading I don't do it. I had my 60D for 5 years before I updated to the 7D Mark II. I upgraded primarily for the the feature set, not the image quality.

This is kinda my feeling. I switched from Nikon early on because I didnt want a manual focus camera and my experience with Nikon's AF was that it was slow, noisy and rubbish. I flirted with switching back a few times (Notably before the 7D came out for the 16-85, 105 VR and the D300... three things Canon did not offer. Until the 7D announcement)

I genuinely considered going Nikon to upgrade my 7D this year, I was going to get a D610 and a set of lenses, There were solid reasons, Namely I prefer Nikon's 50mm f/1.4G to Canon's, Nikon has a lovely set of affordable f/1.8 primes, I prefer the colour black for my lenses (Sorry Canon, the White color is too attention grabbing for me half the time) and I felt the D610's AF system seemed better than the 6D. Oh and the lovely 200-500 VR. I was also allured by the price of some old Nikkors I wanted to own back when I shot Nikon that are now a lot less money

But I love my 100mm f/2.8L, and when I stop to think about it, Sod the 50mm f/1.4G when I could get a 50mm f/1.2L(And I already have the Sigmalux which isnt exactly a bad lens), and I'd genuinely be less likely to go for the f/1.8 primes when Sigma has lovely f/1.4 primes that arent THAT much more expensive, and if we're talking the 35, Canon has a 35mm f/2 IS which to me is more versatile.

Then it came down to the end question of whether FF is even the right call for someone who shoots a lot of macro and wildlife... The answer is.. Probubly not as much as people would think and I think I'd genuinely miss the option of a 8fps burst, So if Im sticking with a crop camera, while the D7200 and D500 are very very tempting, the 7D Mark II actually fixes most of my biggest complaints on the 7D

What complaints are those? The lack of a locking mode dial, because mine gets bumped every time it comes in and out of the camera bag or my messenger bag, The horrible position of DoF Preview and sure, id love less noise and more detail at 3200 and 6400... Guess what, the 7DII seems to do all of those things rather nicely, While also offering better build, sealing, better AF system and 2 extra megapixels (Those dont seem to matter, but it does look like the 7DII has slightly sharper/crisper output vs the 7D, the aggressive AA filter in the 7D always made me sad) the on-sensor phase detect AF is a plus as well for insect macros where i do frequently use the rear screen due to how i am positioned to shoot. So yeah technically the D500's rear screen is the bit that had me salivating the most but Im not about to ditch all my lenses for that.. Especially not my workhorse 100L

MedicineMan4040
THREAD ­ STARTER
17,094 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Feb 03, 2016 01:46 as a reply to  @ Bassat's post |  #39

Asking me?
I'm Canon all the way, good or bad.
No plans for any massive sell off so I can jump down the Nikon rabbit hole.

I figure if I keep buying they'll keep making it better and better :)

flickr (external link)

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
17,987 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 03, 2016 01:52 |  #40

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #17882712 (external link)
Just read the D5 was answered and in a big 1DXii way :)
I'd expect 7Diii within the next year now.

5 years between the first 7D and the 7DII...so i'd think a 7DIII is a ways off...maybe 2018...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

DreDaze
17,987 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 05, 2016 03:27 |  #41

looks like the 7DII killer is a little slow out of the gate...it's release has been delayed...

Andre or Dre
gear list
flickr (external link)

KenjiS
"Holy crap its long!"
21,265 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 05, 2016 10:38 |  #42

MedicineMan4040 wrote in post #17884016 (external link)
Asking me?
I'm Canon all the way, good or bad.
No plans for any massive sell off so I can jump down the Nikon rabbit hole.

I figure if I keep buying they'll keep making it better and better :)

Except your GX8 ;) And werent you talking about an X-Pro 2?

I tease of course

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,818 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Feb 05, 2016 11:35 |  #43

DreDaze wrote in post #17886660 (external link)
looks like the 7DII killer is a little slow out of the gate...it's release has been delayed...

Do you know when the new release date is?

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab, Elements 15

DreDaze
17,987 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 05, 2016 11:47 |  #44

mwsilver wrote in post #17887032 (external link)
Do you know when the new release date is?

'late april 2016'

more here:
http://bokeh.digitalre​v.com/article/nikon-d500-delayed (external link)

Andre or Dre
gear list
flickr (external link)

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,818 posts
Joined Oct 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by mwsilver.

Feb 05, 2016 15:01 |  #45

KenjiS wrote in post #17883942 (external link)
This is kinda my feeling. I switched from Nikon early on because I didnt want a manual focus camera and my experience with Nikon's AF was that it was slow, noisy and rubbish. I flirted with switching back a few times (Notably before the 7D came out for the 16-85, 105 VR and the D300... three things Canon did not offer. Until the 7D announcement)

I genuinely considered going Nikon to upgrade my 7D this year, I was going to get a D610 and a set of lenses, There were solid reasons, Namely I prefer Nikon's 50mm f/1.4G to Canon's, Nikon has a lovely set of affordable f/1.8 primes, I prefer the colour black for my lenses (Sorry Canon, the White color is too attention grabbing for me half the time) and I felt the D610's AF system seemed better than the 6D. Oh and the lovely 200-500 VR. I was also allured by the price of some old Nikkors I wanted to own back when I shot Nikon that are now a lot less money

But I love my 100mm f/2.8L, and when I stop to think about it, Sod the 50mm f/1.4G when I could get a 50mm f/1.2L(And I already have the Sigmalux which isnt exactly a bad lens), and I'd genuinely be less likely to go for the f/1.8 primes when Sigma has lovely f/1.4 primes that arent THAT much more expensive, and if we're talking the 35, Canon has a 35mm f/2 IS which to me is more versatile.

Then it came down to the end question of whether FF is even the right call for someone who shoots a lot of macro and wildlife... The answer is.. Probubly not as much as people would think and I think I'd genuinely miss the option of a 8fps burst, So if Im sticking with a crop camera, while the D7200 and D500 are very very tempting, the 7D Mark II actually fixes most of my biggest complaints on the 7D

What complaints are those? The lack of a locking mode dial, because mine gets bumped every time it comes in and out of the camera bag or my messenger bag, The horrible position of DoF Preview and sure, id love less noise and more detail at 3200 and 6400... Guess what, the 7DII seems to do all of those things rather nicely, While also offering better build, sealing, better AF system and 2 extra megapixels (Those dont seem to matter, but it does look like the 7DII has slightly sharper/crisper output vs the 7D, the aggressive AA filter in the 7D always made me sad) the on-sensor phase detect AF is a plus as well for insect macros where i do frequently use the rear screen due to how i am positioned to shoot. So yeah technically the D500's rear screen is the bit that had me salivating the most but Im not about to ditch all my lenses for that.. Especially not my workhorse 100L

Which part of the D500 LCD has you salivating? The articulation? It has a very limited range of movement compared to the screen on the 60D/70D, and having owned a 60D I found I rarely made use of the articulating screen anyway. The touch screen? My understanding is the touch screen functionality is somewhat limited and can't access the menus. The only thing I find interesting is that the LCD resolution has doubled over the 7D2. In practical use, on such a small monitor, I wonder how useful that higher resolution is. Keep in mind that with the new end of April release date, the 7D2 will be a year and a half old before the D500 is generally available. I would be amazed if it weren't a higher spec'd body. The real key is a sports/action comparison in day to day usage. And while we all expect the D500 to outperform the 7D2, the question is by how much, in what situations, and is it truly meaningful in day to day real world use.

Mark

sponsored links

13,954 views & 39 likes for this thread
How will Canon answer the Nikon D500 and when?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.