Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Feb 2016 (Monday) 01:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Official specs: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II

this thread is locked
nekrosoft13
Goldmember
4,087 posts
Gallery: 185 photos
Joined Jun 2010

Feb 02, 2016 08:53 |  #61
bannedPermanent ban

jwcdds wrote in post #17882380 (external link)
I think the only time Canon will actually start taking the sensor deficiencies (when compared to Sony/Nikon), is when all their CEO starts toting around the Sony A7Rii around for personal photos. :lol:

we all should chip in and buy a a7RII for him, send it to him and with a note: "use this, show it to your engineers, maybe you can learn a thing or two"

Gear List

sponsored links
jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,788 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 02, 2016 08:56 as a reply to  @ post 17882787 |  #62

lol no way is this 3 stops better ISO then a 1dx mk1... come on lads

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
Combating camera shame since 1977...
9,897 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 02, 2016 08:58 |  #63

jonneymendoza wrote in post #17882901 (external link)
lol no way is this 3 stops better ISO then a 1dx mk1... come on lads

shocked you weren't in here earlier with this proclamation.

looking forward to hearing more about your experience with this camera.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,929 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 02, 2016 09:21 |  #64

I tend to not get super excited until i see images. But Jeff Ascough is a straight up no BS kind of guy. His word is always good. glad i saw what he said. 1-2 stops over a 5D3 with no noise in darks and shadows and you can pull shadows and not introduce noise......thats from a world class wedding photographer.....reall​y more than enough for me

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,684 posts
Joined Nov 2009

Feb 02, 2016 09:30 |  #65

To all the Canon EOS 1DXmkII detractors; it's not compulsory, you don't actually have to buy one.

It never ceases to amaze me how dense intelligent people are.
I’ve had more intelligent conversations with lobotomised amoebas.
.- -. --- - .... . .-. -- --- .-. --- -. .. -.-. -- --- .-. --- -. .- -.. -.. . -.. - --- -- -.-- .. --. -. --- .-. . .-.. .. ... -

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,633 posts
Gallery: 1654 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Feb 02, 2016 09:33 |  #66

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #17882787 (external link)
from a thread on the Rumors sub forum

3-stop?

since it was pre-production, I'm assuming all they have was jpg. I remember similar noise improvement claims before and it turns out more so on the *.jpg processing side and not so much in the RAW. While I certainly hope hardware is notably improved... I'm assuming not so much at this point since I would think Canon would have really tooted that horn had it been the case.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,788 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 02, 2016 09:58 |  #67

Left Handed Brisket wrote in post #17882905 (external link)
shocked you weren't in here earlier with this proclamation.

looking forward to hearing more about your experience with this camera.

bravo if they have made a 3 stop ISO performance. i have never seen this happen on each generation canon or nikon have released stuff.

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,929 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 02, 2016 10:19 |  #68

jonneymendoza wrote in post #17882976 (external link)
bravo if they have made a 3 stop ISO performance. i have never seen this happen on each generation canon or nikon have released stuff.

There Aint no way its 3 stops. If its a stop which would make 25000 usable as a straight off compared to the current 1Dx1 at 12500...then thats pretty big. Anything esle is gravy.

The important problem looks to be addressed. Dark and shadow retention and performance...thats where they lagged and according to Jeff....a huge improvement. 1-2 stops over the 5D3. Jeff is Canons expert with the 5D3. He is one of the best at this stuff. His word is good.

I have found that you have to be able to rely on people that really know what the are doing in this business because its very technical and NO One knows it all.

These Canon and Nikon ambassadors are the best of the best in this business. So when guys like Mautner ( 30 yrs experience and at the top of the game) , Ole J Liodden ( wildlife expert 20 plus yrs ) and Jeff Ascough ( 25 plus years as a top tiered wedding photographer )....who are all experts in the field and all long term Nikon and Canon ambassadors tell you there is 1-2 stops and the sensors and beyond anything we have ever used......I tend to listen. They know what they are talking about.

Most people on the Net ( not saying you johnny ) are trolls and have no Idea WTF they are talking about. Read what these guys have to say. They know.They had it in their hands and they are current ambassadors from the previous model releases.

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

David ­ Ransley
673 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 02, 2016 10:25 |  #69

FYI: http://www.imaging-resource.com …-1dx-ii/canon-1dx-iiA.HTM (external link)

DRH

thenextguy
Goldmember
2,565 posts
Gallery: 99 photos
Best ofs: 8
Joined Feb 2010
Post edited over 3 years ago by thenextguy. (2 edits in all)

Feb 02, 2016 10:32 |  #70

I will eat a 1DX II if they've improved low light performance by 3 stops over the 1DX. Technology just doesn't advance that fast.

The dynamic range improvements are possible. I'll be interested in seeing those tests.

Steve -- Website (external link) -- Flickr (external link) -- Tumblr (external link) -- Instagram (external link) -- 500px (external link) (New!)
Canon 5Ds R | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 35 F2 IS | 50mm f/1.4 | 70-200L f/2.8 II

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,131 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 3 years ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Feb 02, 2016 10:35 as a reply to  @ thenextguy's post |  #71

Sure it does, when technology changes dramatically. Canon has been using the same dated basic sensor design for the past decade, and have changed the gaps between sensels and the filters over the sensor, etc up to this point. This has netted them very gradual improvements over time. With a radically new sensor, it is very possible to change things by 2-3 stops, coupled with a more advanced processor. The shadow sensor noise is key here to how well this camera will be received, IMO, by the ISO aficionados.

Video describing the technical differences of this camera from prior models

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

mkkaczy
346 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2012

Feb 02, 2016 10:39 |  #72

Not sure if the samples have been posted already
http://cweb.canon.jp …1dxmk2/samples/​index.html (external link)

http://500px.com/mkkac​zy (external link)

Erik ­ S. ­ Klein
uppity vermin fan
1,039 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 02, 2016 10:40 |  #73

thenextguy wrote in post #17883017 (external link)
I will eat a 1DX II if they've improved low light performance by 3 stops over the 1DX. Technology just doesn't advance that fast.

The dynamic range improvements are possible. I'll be interested in seeing those tests.

I'm banking on about 1 stop in RAW. That should be more than doable.

It's possible that they cranked up their .jpg engine to get more out of those images, but even there 3 stops feels like a stretch.

Sample images look great so far. I can't wait for the real deal and real-world results.

Gear List
www.vintage-computer.com (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,131 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 3 years ago by TeamSpeed.

Feb 02, 2016 10:43 |  #74

mkkaczy wrote in post #17883028 (external link)
Not sure if the samples have been posted already
http://cweb.canon.jp …1dxmk2/samples/​index.html (external link)

Full size 25600 JPG, looks pretty good: http://cweb.canon.jp …samples/downloa​ds/003.jpg (external link)

I can easily clean that up and still retain all the detail.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

pigpile34
151 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Oct 2015

Feb 02, 2016 11:18 |  #75

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17883019 (external link)
Sure it does, when technology changes dramatically. Canon has been using the same dated basic sensor design for the past decade, and have changed the gaps between sensels and the filters over the sensor, etc up to this point. This has netted them very gradual improvements over time. With a radically new sensor, it is very possible to change things by 2-3 stops, coupled with a more advanced processor. The shadow sensor noise is key here to how well this camera will be received, IMO, by the ISO aficionados.

Video describing the technical differences of this camera from prior models

go to 13:03 in the video

that might be better than sex :lol:

seriously though, this will be a beast

sponsored links

285,294 views & 958 likes for this thread
Official specs: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.