Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 04 Feb 2016 (Thursday) 09:23
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Whats next after Canon 5D Mark 2

clearnet
60 posts
Joined May 2009

Feb 04, 2016 09:23 |  #1

Its time to upgrade the Canon 5D mark 2. Currently, I have the 35L, 135L, and the 17-40 F4L. I am tempted to go with the X-T1 route with 23, 16-55, and possibly the 50-140. However, I want to make sure I am not missing out on not going the 5D mark 3 route.

I am not a professional, but use my camera enough to call myself an enthusiast. I shoot mainly to document my growing family and travelling landscapes. I like the 5D2; however, I understand it is an aging camera and at some point, i could use an upgrade and might as well be now. Fuji pricing is very attractive right now in Canada, and thats what triggered this debate. Plus I find the X-T1 graphite version very attractive!

I could also go with a 5D3, that means I get to keep all the lenses and save the hassle of selling them. Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

5Dc, 5D2, 17-40 F4L, 24-105 IS F4L, 35 F1.4L, 85 F1.4, 135 F2L, 580EXII

sponsored links
PCousins
767 posts
Gallery: 418 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Nov 2014
Post edited over 3 years ago by PCousins. (2 edits in all)

Feb 04, 2016 09:33 |  #2

I do lots of Water Sport and Motocross photography so to me the importance was weather/sand/dirt sealing. I went from 5d2 & 7d to 1ds3 & 1d4 bodies......Vast improvements seen that took my photography to the next level.

As you mainly shoot family & travelling landscapes, I don't think you can go wrong with a 5d3 especially as you have some great glass.

Gear List

Eastport
940 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 04, 2016 09:48 |  #3

I went from the 5D (still have that one for my daughter's use) to the 5DII to the 5DIII.

My 5DII was excellent but it was pretty heavily used by the time I was done with it and was probably close to its shutter limit, so I upgraded.

What is it about the 5DII that makes you want to upgrade? You have very good lenses to go with it. Are you ready to trash the Canon line entirely?

Is the 5DII too big and/or heavy for you? Are you not satisfied with its focusing ability or the image quality from those fine lenses?

If it ain't broke (yet) why fix it?

If you want something smaller and cheap, why not pick up an SL1 for as little as $299 refurb? Keep the 5DII for more serious applications. Adding the SL1 is almost like turning your lens set into a whole new set of lenses:

17-40 looks like 27-64 on the SL1; 35 becomes 56 and 135 becomes 216 but I am sure you knew all that.

Tapeman
Sliced Bread
3,721 posts
Joined Jan 2004

Feb 04, 2016 10:02 |  #4

The big difference between the MKII & the MKIII is the autofocus. Kids are seldom stationary for long.:-)

Canon G1X II, 1D MKIV, 5DSR, 5DIV, 5D MKII, 16-35/2.8L II, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, IS, 100-400/4.5-5.6 L IS II, 500/4 L IS II, 24-105/4 IS, 50/2.5 macro, 1.4x MKII, 1.4X MKIII, 2X MKIII,580EX II, 550EXs(2), ST-E2.
Gitzo 1228, 1275, 1558, Lensbaby 3G. Epson 3880, Bags that match my shoes.:)

mikepj
204 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 04, 2016 10:04 |  #5

I second the question of what you're finding limiting in your 5D2. Figure out what you are missing and then look at the best way to gain those missing features. If you aren't missing any features, then I'd hold off on upgrading until you do start to miss something.

Camera prices are always dropping. This will be especially true once the 5D4 arrives (rumored sometime this year)… The 5D3 price will drop quite a bit when they are closing them out.

Radiant Photography (external link) Instagram (external link) Instagram (Sports) (external link) Flickr (external link)
5D Mark IV, 7D Mark II, Rebel SL1
16-35 ƒ4L, 24-105 ƒ4L, 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II, 100-400 ƒ4.5-5.6L, 85 ƒ1.8, 50 ƒ1.8 STM, 24mm ƒ2.8 STM

mikepj
204 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 04, 2016 10:05 |  #6

Tapeman wrote in post #17885634 (external link)
The big difference between the MKII & the MKIII is the autofocus. Kids are seldom stationary for long.:-)

Yes, autofocus and frame rate are going to be the big differences. High ISO image quality is a bit better too.

Radiant Photography (external link) Instagram (external link) Instagram (Sports) (external link) Flickr (external link)
5D Mark IV, 7D Mark II, Rebel SL1
16-35 ƒ4L, 24-105 ƒ4L, 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II, 100-400 ƒ4.5-5.6L, 85 ƒ1.8, 50 ƒ1.8 STM, 24mm ƒ2.8 STM

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,663 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 3 years ago by TeamSpeed.

Feb 04, 2016 10:05 |  #7

The 5D3 has a much better AF system, one that competes with the 1D4 for example, with f8 AF. It's ISO performance is better. Ergonomics and customization options are more advanced as well. It has more features like editing raw in camera, multiple exposures, an okay HDR mode, and a few other niceties.

The 5D2 to 5D3 upgrade is much larger and better than the 5D to 5D2 upgrade was.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Eastport
940 posts
Joined Apr 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by Eastport.

Feb 04, 2016 10:12 |  #8

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17885639 (external link)
The 5D3 has a much better AF system, one that competes with the 1D4 for example, with f8 AF. It's ISO performance is better. Ergonomics and customization options are more advanced as well. It has more features like editing raw in camera, multiple exposures, an okay HDR mode, and a few other niceties.

The 5D2 to 5D3 upgrade is much larger and better than the 5D to 5D2 upgrade was.

And I am thrilled with my 5D3. Love it for low light stage productions, love the better video, love the autofocus.

But for someone who does a little pro work (stage productions, golf tournaments and weddings here and there) and quite a bit amateur work (about 20,000 shots a year in pro and amateur), I was very happy with the 5DII. Indeed, I am still happy with the images from the 5D classic.

Sure, the 5DIII has been a welcome upgrade for me and I am glad I made the move but if I had not made the move (or if the 5DIII never came out or if I could not afford it), I would have just eventually replaced the shutter on the 5DII whenever it needed it and would still be happy today. For both my pro and amateur uses. It's that good.

clearnet
THREAD ­ STARTER
60 posts
Joined May 2009
Post edited over 3 years ago by clearnet.

Feb 04, 2016 10:31 |  #9

Thanks for all the quick comments and replies. Yes, I thought about the "why" on the upgrade. Mostly its due to my attraction towards the Fuji X systems, few things I liked:

1. The various film colour presets and favourable jpeg colours on the X-T1. This makes life sometimes easier when I dont feel like PP lots of images.
2. The high quality XF lenses available now with favourable reviews on the AF and colour rendering.
3. Unique form factor/design of the X-T1, and slight advantages of the smaller form factors.
4. Seems like the pricing is very good with Fuji systems right now in Canada. I suspect X-T1 may go down in price soon as we get closer to the announcement of X-T2

I understand this is a Canon Camera sub forum, so naturally the opinions will be favourable towards the 5D3 which is perfectly fine with me. However, if any members who owns both the 5D series and the X-T1, feedbacks are also greatly appreciated.

What is it about the 5D2 thats not working for me?

1. I have owned it for over 4 years now, and I do find the autofocus speed/accuracy lacking.
2. ISO performance under low light.
3. Potential further reduction in demand and value of the 5D2 in the coming year.

I have also heard many pro shops discussing how themselves and their clients are switching from the 5D3 to the Fuji X-T1 systems. I understand FF is FF and will always produce better pixel qualities, its just a matter of whether or not the user needs the pixels.

I imagine the cost of my switch will be very similar between the switch from 5d2/35L/135L/14-70 to x-t1/23/16-55/50-140 vs 5d2 to 5d3. The advantage of the Fuji route is everything will be purchased new!

Eastport
940 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 04, 2016 10:42 as a reply to  @ clearnet's post |  #10

Here's the part I don't get:

You basically want to move on from the 5DII because it's long in the tooth.

But you want to go over to the Fuji system and get the now two year old XT-1 and dump all your excellent Canon stuff. And, in June, when the XT-2 hits the market, will you say, "wow, wish I had waited!"

clearnet
THREAD ­ STARTER
60 posts
Joined May 2009

Feb 04, 2016 14:44 |  #11

Eastport, You have pointed out one of the problem I didnt realize. Yes, I may have been over concerned about the monetary value of these equipments and forgot about all the fun and enjoyment part.

Truth is, I dont chase after the latest bodies and have always been a Canon person, but I am definitely intrigued by the Fuji X system. It seems to me that the practical thing is to get a 5d3 for the next four years. the X-T1 route seems more of a superficial thing...

Eastport
940 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Feb 04, 2016 14:54 |  #12

clearnet wrote in post #17886008 (external link)
Eastport, You have pointed out one of the problem I didn't realize. Yes, I may have been over concerned about the monetary value of these equipments and forgot about all the fun and enjoyment part.

Truth is, I dont chase after the latest bodies and have always been a Canon person, but I am definitely intrigued by the Fuji X system. It seems to me that the practical thing is to get a 5d3 for the next four years. the X-T1 route seems more of a superficial thing...

The attraction of the Fuji models (beyond their "cool" and retro look) and that of most mirrorless bodies is, duh, their size. This is a big (!) concern for someone coming from the relatively large 5DII plus two also relatively large and heavy lenses (your 17-40 excepted). But, since you are already in the Canon system, you might want to either wait for their hopefully soon to come announcement of some (maybe) breakthrough/finally give-in) mirrorless model or just embrace the DSLR that's close to the same size and weight to mirrorless systems anyway (comparing to the current Canon mirrorless with its adaptor and EF/EF-S lenses) namely the SL1.

I seriously doubt you'll see much difference in image quality from the top of the line APS-C, namely the 7DII, and the SL1. Of course, the SL1 cannot match the features of the Rebel T6 line, the 70D or the 7DII but it's equally capable of producing the same image in many, if not, most instances. And I will bet the SL1 with decent lenses can match or better the image quality of most mirrorless models. And it's tiny.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,093 posts
Gallery: 1549 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 05, 2016 08:39 |  #13

Heya,

Seems to me you have no real reason to change systems or bodies. Just seems like GAS to me. Maybe I'm incorrect.

AF: A growing family cannot outrun the AF. The old 5Dc can track a running child, let alone a kid running bases at a ball park just fine. And the 5D2 has that same AF system. Sure, it's not super robust, but it's far and away fine for kids and human beings moving around, even in peewee or youth sports. Maybe how you're using it is not conducive to the AF system (like, are you trying to track a moving subject with an outer point in low light?).

ISO: You can reliably shoot ISO 6400 on that camera without much effort. Since you're an enthusiast, maybe look at how you're exposing with high ISO and in low light, and adjust how you expose so that you have more room in post. You can get great clean photos at ISO 6400 & even 12800 on the 5D2. Moving to a new camera, you either lose this (Fuji with a smaller sensor, will not have the same high ISO performance at ISo 12800) or you could gain less than 1 stop (5D3), which screams to me that an upgrade or downgrade has nothing to do with ISO unfortunately. You'd have to look at a camera like the Sony A7S if you wanted to see more than 1 stop of ISO difference in low light, for your $1k or more you'd spend.

Value over time: Everything depreciates. The 5D2 will not drop below $700 for a few more years. As long as this camera can be serviced by Canon, it will still be a highly traded Camera. Do not base a purchase on this. What's losing $50~150 over 2~4 years? Years of service on a camera for memories that are priceless. Stop worrying about a few dollars for this purpose. If you want to spend money or move systems, take your eye off the monetary value and put it on the features and results that you want and focus there instead.

I think you have a very good kit as it is. I don't see a reason to move to anything else at this point.

Moving to a Fuji system, it would be for size reduction. Not for quality increase.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

VaDimZH
867 posts
Gallery: 587 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Feb 06, 2016 01:56 |  #14

I have Canon 5Dc and I had Fuji X-T1.

Still have my 5Dc and Fuji was returned.

Image quality,AF,handling,er​gonomics....way BETTER! on 5Dc ! (just my opinion)

Fuji X-T1 just like a toy in my hand,very,very small and uncomfortable.

Body: Canon 5D
Optics: Canon EF 135mm f/2 L USM
Flash: Canon 430EX III RT
Bag: Think Tank SPEED FREAK V2.0
Monitor: NEC PA272W-BK-SV
flickr (external link)

clearnet
THREAD ­ STARTER
60 posts
Joined May 2009

Feb 06, 2016 18:16 |  #15

MalVeauX, thanks for pointing out the capabilities of the 5D2. I do not use ISO beyond 1000 on a regularly basis, in rare occasion I would use 1600. I just find the coarse pixels less appealing. However, there is always the possibility that I am not exposing properly. The x-t1 graphite is on its way next week along with a 23mm. I will test it out and see whether or not I like the IQ and controls of the camera. In the unlikely event that I really like the X-T1, I still dont see myself letting go the Canon gears. I was trying to rationalize the expense thinking that the cost of the purchase could be funded by the proceed from the 5D2 gears. This is what happens when you have a growing family I guess.

sponsored links

1,955 views & 0 likes for this thread
Whats next after Canon 5D Mark 2
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.