Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 04 Feb 2016 (Thursday) 10:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Makeup artist asked my client for images to use on her website. Should I do something?

aaronh
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Feb 04, 2016 10:44 |  #1

Hi everyone. Long time lurker, first time posting.

A "client" (who I'll call Jane for the sake of clarity) from a wedding I photographed last summer emailed me today asking for more shots of her mom putting on makeup. She explained that her makeup artist (who I'll call Nancy) asked her (Jane) if she could have some photos to use on her new website. I have not heard from Nancy directly (I actually don't even know her name).

I am an amateur photographer. I have shot several weddings as a second shooter and have been the primary photographer for some friends' weddings and have gotten a few wedding gigs through word of mouth. I am not a professional; I don't depend on this for my livelihood; I don't advertise; I'm not very knowledgeable in contracts, etc.
I had no contract for Jane when I shot the wedding. Again, I'm no professional; got paid but it was just word of mouth through friends.

I don't know if I really am bothered by this. Maybe I should be. Maybe I shouldn't. I think it's a little weird that the makeup artist asked Jane the Client for the photographs. I assume she hasn't even thought about copyrights, credits, etc. I would love to grow my clientele and maybe some professional networking would be helpful.

Should I:
1) Care at all? Just forward a copy of the photo to Jane so Nancy can have some images to use on her professional website, nbd.
2) Ask Nancy to give credit and a link on her website?
3) Ask Nancy for payment for my photograph?
4) Something else?

Thanks for your thoughts!

sponsored links
maverick75
Cream of the Crop
5,702 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2012

Feb 04, 2016 10:46 |  #2

I would go for #2, since you don't depend on it and you're looking to grow your own business.

- Alex Corona Sony A7, Canon 7DM2/EOS M, Mamiya 645/67
Flickr (external link) - 500px (external link) - Website (external link)- Feedback -Feedback

neacail
Goldmember
1,188 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 04, 2016 11:01 |  #3

#2 gets my vote as well. It seems like a win-win solution, under the circumstances.

Shelley
Image Editing Okay

Scott ­ Spellman
203 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2015

Feb 04, 2016 12:37 |  #4

aaronh wrote in post #17885706 (external link)
Hi everyone. Long time lurker, first time posting.

A "client" (who I'll call Jane for the sake of clarity) from a wedding I photographed last summer emailed me today asking for more shots of her mom putting on makeup. She explained that her makeup artist (who I'll call Nancy) asked her (Jane) if she could have some photos to use on her new website. I have not heard from Nancy directly (I actually don't even know her name).

I am an amateur photographer. I have shot several weddings as a second shooter and have been the primary photographer for some friends' weddings and have gotten a few wedding gigs through word of mouth. I am not a professional; I don't depend on this for my livelihood; I don't advertise; I'm not very knowledgeable in contracts, etc.
I had no contract for Jane when I shot the wedding. Again, I'm no professional; got paid but it was just word of mouth through friends.

I don't know if I really am bothered by this. Maybe I should be. Maybe I shouldn't. I think it's a little weird that the makeup artist asked Jane the Client for the photographs. I assume she hasn't even thought about copyrights, credits, etc. I would love to grow my clientele and maybe some professional networking would be helpful.

Should I:
1) Care at all? Just forward a copy of the photo to Jane so Nancy can have some images to use on her professional website, nbd.
2) Ask Nancy to give credit and a link on her website?
3) Ask Nancy for payment for my photograph?
4) Something else?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Most people even in the industry do not understand the concepts of photo copyright and licensing. We live in a social world were millions of images are copied and published without permission every day. Even thought this could be a situation where you could license the images for commercial use to the makeup artist, I think you will see much more benefit by getting Nancy's contact info and providing photos with your website as a small watermark and a license for social media use with credit. You will get much more goodwill and referrals from both Nancy and Jane by being a team player and only asking for credit for the photos. This would be a different situation if this was the wedding dress company looking for photos for a world wide advertising campaign.

-S

travisvwright
Goldmember
2,040 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 04, 2016 15:00 |  #5

I think it'd be best to contact Nancy directly and say "Yeah I could send you these, or we could shoot something specifically for you which will be more focused and better for this purpose."

I come here for your expert opinion. Please do not hesitate to critique or edit.
70D, T3i, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 70-200 2.8 VC, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.8 Macro, Canon 85 1.8, Canon 10-18 4.5 STM

Franklin NC Photographer Travis Wright (external link)

JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005
Post edited over 3 years ago by JacobPhoto.

Feb 04, 2016 22:53 |  #6

Ask Jane to tell Nancy to get in touch with you. Everything up until now is hearsay.

If you don't know Nancy (which you admit you don't even know her name), perhaps she doesn't know if you were a hired photographer, or just a GWC. Asking the person Nancy has a relationship with (Jane) for any images she might have of the makeup is a good way for Nancy to try to figure out who the photographer was. Nancy may be OK with some photos that Jane's mom / friend / whoever took with their iphone. If that's the case, no harm no foul. But you don't know what Nancy is looking for until you actually talk directly to her.

~ Canon 7d / 5D ~ Novatron strobe setup + Vagabond
~ Some L glass, some flashes, the usual

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,076 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006
Post edited over 3 years ago by gonzogolf.

Feb 04, 2016 23:01 |  #7

Nancy needs to speak with you. She needs to understand copyright and the need to seek your permission.

njstacker22
703 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Mar 2014

Feb 05, 2016 13:24 |  #8

gonzogolf wrote in post #17886497 (external link)
Nancy needs to speak with you. She needs to understand copyright and the need to seek your permission.

Agree. Whether you charge her for it or not this needs to be done.

Sony A7ii [Sony FE 16-35mm f/4] [Sony FE 28-70mm] [Rokinon 135mm F2] [Sony 50mm 1.8]
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/djbigley/ (external link)

Buchinger
467 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Feb 13, 2016 09:12 |  #9

I would have Jane tell Nancy to contact you directly.

When she does, explain that you were happy that she felt your photos were high enough quality to use on her website. Then explain that because it's commercial use there are just some "technicalities" that have to be worked out - including the model release from Jane (see - how nice you are by helping Nancy). Then request that she simply use a watermarked image because you are proud of your work. Also maybe offer to credit her on your Facebook gallery. Explain the licensing process is to protect both of you.

I prefer to build relationships. You may need a makeup artist some day and she would be more likely to take care of you since you helped her out. You never know who someone might be in the future...

sponsored links

2,110 views & 13 likes for this thread
Makeup artist asked my client for images to use on her website. Should I do something?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.