Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 01 Feb 2016 (Monday) 01:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Official specs: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II

this thread is locked
mclaren777
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,482 posts
Joined May 2012

Feb 05, 2016 12:10 |  #256

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17886843 (external link)
It is easier/faster with a touch screen than the current method

I think that's factually incorrect and I'm willing to bet money on it. Interested?

sploo wrote in post #17886846 (external link)
Left thumb surely? Easy then.

OK. Left thumb and forefinger for zooming, but still holding the camera with your right hand.

The 1DX2 with a 70-200mm lens would weigh about seven pounds. Holding it with just your right hand would be challenging for a lot of people.

A simple comparison of sensor technology: Nikon vs. Canon (external link)
A technical comparison of sensor technology: Exposure Latitude (external link)

sponsored links
pigpile34
151 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Oct 2015

Feb 05, 2016 12:21 |  #257

umphotography wrote in post #17886987 (external link)
Im seeing all the remarks about touch screen and I think im like the majority. Makes no difference to me. I can see this being ready cool for the video guys but not sure how it can help me as a stills shooter unless Im capturing images through Live View and it works in conjunction with live view.

Am I missing anything ??

this is where i come down on it

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,946 posts
Gallery: 105 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 3 years ago by TeamSpeed. (6 edits in all)

Feb 05, 2016 12:39 as a reply to  @ mclaren777's post |  #258

I have already done the test. Zooming and moving around in the image to see the various areas of IQ is much faster via touch than using the joystick to move around on the image. The touch interface is instant, with no delays as you press and hold on the joystick, etc. There simply isn't any debate. I have run 1D series next to the SL1, and the SL1 was a joy compared to the old way of pressing the buttons, rolling the dial and using the joystick. If it wasn't, our tablets and phones would have alot more buttons and alot less touch.

Menus were also faster, you just clicked the menu header for the menus you want, there was no need to hit the menu button, select button, roll a dial, roll the shutter dial, etc. The Canon full implementation is very, very good.

Those that are poo-pooing the concept sound just like those that didn't like AF when it came out, or live view, or MFA, or video mode. Let's just say that these things don't appeal to you, but it doesn't make it any less valuable to others. It's okay if you are used to a certain function or feature, and don't want it to change. ;)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
2,086 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Nov 2014
Post edited over 3 years ago by wallstreetoneil. (2 edits in all)

Feb 05, 2016 12:52 |  #259

this touch screen issue is pretty easy

Canon is a big company - they do big company things

they allocated a budget and assigned resources based on the specs

there was no budget for the development time necessary to give the 1Dx a feature which were not necessary for sales

when all the guys shooting NFL games and soccer games world wide tell their Canon rep they want a touch screen to review pictures, it will appear on the next model

therefore, you can likely figure out what the feedback was

1) i like the ergonomics, don't change it too much
2) give me more shadow detail and 1 more stop of clean ISO
3) i'll take a few more FPS if you can do it, but I don't want any more oiling issues
4) it isn't a 100% necessary, but if you can allow me to do high quality frame grabs from video, I might use that at some point (thus 8meg, 4k, 60p video)
5) a guy i know is going to south america somewhere deep in the jungle and would like to code some gps data in the pictures for the editor - can you do that?
6) i can't see the f'ing focus point in the dark - make it red
7) i got kicked by the bride's grandmother while taking pictures at a friend's wedding - I need a quiet shutter mode if it's possible
8) a highspeed wifi connector that can reach 500 feet would allow me to send pictures in near realtime to my editor - can you up the speed of the connector
9) i would love to record every frame of the men's 100 meter final at the Olympics - so i need about 11 seconds or raw buffer

if you do all that I will buy 2 - thanks

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

Canon_Lover
Goldmember
2,695 posts
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited over 3 years ago by Canon_Lover.

Feb 05, 2016 13:15 |  #260

You guys have it all wrong. Canon crippled the touch screen of the 1dx II in order to protect sales of their entry level gear.

They really don't want people buying the 1dx II for a fully functioning touch screen when they can upsell them on a new Rebel. :)

My 500PX (external link)

Erik ­ S. ­ Klein
uppity vermin fan
1,039 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Feb 05, 2016 13:17 |  #261

Canon_Lover wrote in post #17887149 (external link)
You guys have it all wrong. Canon crippled the touch screen of the 1dx II in order to protect sales of their entry level gear.

Way to out me for reading POTN at work... vmad  :p

Gear List
www.vintage-computer.com (external link)

mclaren777
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,482 posts
Joined May 2012

Feb 05, 2016 13:19 |  #262

TeamSpeed wrote in post #17887108 (external link)
Zooming and moving around in the image to see the various areas of IQ

Do you actually scroll around the image? I only care if my selected AF point grabbed accurate focus (the rest of the frame is irrelevant if my subject is blurry), so I just press the Zoom button once to check and then tap the shutter release to move on with my life.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

A simple comparison of sensor technology: Nikon vs. Canon (external link)
A technical comparison of sensor technology: Exposure Latitude (external link)

wallstreetoneil
Goldmember
2,086 posts
Gallery: 14 photos
Joined Nov 2014

Feb 05, 2016 14:24 |  #263

mclaren777 wrote in post #17887153 (external link)
Do you actually scroll around the image? I only care if my selected AF point grabbed accurate focus (the rest of the frame is irrelevant if my subject is blurry), so I just press the Zoom button once to check and then tap the shutter release to move on with my life.

thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by mclaren777 in
./showthread.php?p=178​87153&i=i35293263
forum: Canon EOS Digital Cameras

at least on the 5D and 7D models, this only works for the first picture - if you scroll to the previous picture, but changed your focus point between pictures, it keeps the zoom on the original point location - this drives me crazy actually

Hockey and wedding photographer. Favourite camera / lens combos: a 1DX II with a Tamron 45 1.8 VC, an A7Rii with a Canon 24-70F2.8L II, and a 5DSR with a Tamron 85 1.8 VC. Every lens I own I strongly recommend [Canon (35Lii, 100L Macro, 24-70F2.8ii, 70-200F2.8ii, 100-400Lii), Tamron (45 1.8, 85 1.8), Sigma 24-105]. If there are better lenses out there let me know because I haven't found them.

sploo
premature adulation
2,409 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

Feb 05, 2016 14:31 |  #264

idkdc wrote in post #17886884 (external link)
Uh, not really. The 7d was updated a full 3 years after it was released (after 5d3 release) with a ton of upgrades.

I suspect the v2 update on the 7D was a special case. IRC people were expecting a replacement, which didn't turn up until significantly later. I presume it was a stop gap measure to try to keep it competitive.

mclaren777 wrote in post #17887064 (external link)
The 1DX2 with a 70-200mm lens would weigh about seven pounds. Holding it with just your right hand would be challenging for a lot of people.

Yep, but you could still scroll with your left thumb while holding the camera. Plus, you don't always need to be holding it; e.g. sitting down with it on your lap.

I do find the smartphone method of scrolling and pinch zooming quite useful, so I certainly wouldn't object to it being possible on a DSLR.

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

Xyclopx
Goldmember
1,714 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 05, 2016 14:38 |  #265

thumbnail

yes, all the time. yes, i do always move the AF focus point to the closest one to the target, but it's quite often i cannot find a point that is exactly on-target and must recompose. also, for some types of shots i care about the entire frame and have to check different sections.

that stupid little joystick comes into play a lot. and on my 5dsr it takes forever to get from one edge of the screen to another. yes, i realize you can zoom out a fraction then it will move a lot faster, but that's also a step.

Dean Chiang (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear (external link)
My Photos (external link)
Instagram @xyclopx (external link) @feetandeyes (external link) @gastramour (external link)

Gaarryy
Goldmember
1,191 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2010

Feb 05, 2016 15:37 |  #266

wallstreetoneil wrote in post #17887127 (external link)
this touch screen issue is pretty easy

Canon is a big company - they do big company things

when all the guys shooting NFL games and soccer games world wide tell their Canon rep they want a touch screen to review pictures, it will appear on the next model

therefore, you can likely figure out what the feedback was

1) i like the ergonomics, don't change it too much
2) give me more shadow detail and 1 more stop of clean ISO
3) i'll take a few more FPS if you can do it, but I don't want any more oiling issues
4) it isn't a 100% necessary, but if you can allow me to do high quality frame grabs from video, I might use that at some point (thus 8meg, 4k, 60p video)
5) a guy i know is going to south america somewhere deep in the jungle and would like to code some gps data in the pictures for the editor - can you do that?
6) i can't see the f'ing focus point in the dark - make it red
7) i got kicked by the bride's grandmother while taking pictures at a friend's wedding - I need a quiet shutter mode if it's possible
8) a highspeed wifi connector that can reach 500 feet would allow me to send pictures in near realtime to my editor - can you up the speed of the connector
9) i would love to record every frame of the men's 100 meter final at the Olympics - so i need about 11 seconds or raw buffer

if you do all that I will buy 2 - thanks

I think this is the most accurate.. They know who is buying their camera and using it the most. There is a lot a company pride when it's their camera talking the pics that at big events and end up on the cover shots seen by many.

---------------Camera, Lens, Flash stuff.. but still wanting more

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,043 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 05, 2016 16:01 as a reply to  @ post 17886529 |  #267

Perhaps they use different testing methods?
I shot just over 32100 shots with my 1DX and LP-E4N over 2 days and had 3 bars left on the battery meter. I know this is pretty meaningless as these meters are only a guide at best!
However re charging time was under 35 minutes at 1.55 amps (max the charger does) so there was obviously plenty left!

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

johnf3f
Goldmember
4,043 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Feb 05, 2016 16:10 as a reply to  @ post 17886987 |  #268

No - just the money spent on R&D to bring both you and me features that we don't want to pay for!
There is nothing we can do about it except hope that Canon don't spend too much on R&D for useless features-?

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,946 posts
Gallery: 105 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 3 years ago by TeamSpeed.

Feb 05, 2016 16:21 as a reply to  @ johnf3f's post |  #269

I remember the same R&D discussions around the first model to have movie recording, and then also articulating screens.

Canon has had articulating screens and movie recording capabilities for years before they were introduced into the DSLR line. So at the very minimum, they only had to spend time making up routines and linking user input to hardware calls to put it all together. They already had the know-how, and that can be a big part of R&D. Canon already spent the R&D on a big part of the touch screen tech several models ago at this point.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock
For Sale: Ladies Thirty-One Camera Sling

Gas ­ Hog
I like a good quack in the morning.
711 posts
Joined Jan 2014

Feb 06, 2016 04:45 |  #270

Hardly ever..until I started messing around with macro..:cry:
But the D5 also comes with USB 3.0 micro-B, Ethernet which hopefully makes going to the laptop much better for studio work.
Also just noticed we have .6 more Megapixels..so in your face Canon. :-)
Gary

thumbnail

Feel free to not "Like" any of my photos. Until the Like button is corrected..I wont be "liking" Yours!
gear list

sponsored links

273,173 views & 958 likes for this thread
Official specs: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.