Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 05 Feb 2016 (Friday) 19:50
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Go Ahead--Blast Me!

Bogino
477 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 05, 2016 19:50 |  #1

For some reason, I can't edit her in color to my own satisfaction. So black and white actually looks more appealing to me. The 2nd image is unedited except for sizing. I would appreciate any and all criticisms on this one as well as take your own crack at editing it. For the record I used LR5. Thank You.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon 7D Mark II; Canon 70-300mm "L"; Canon 100mm Macro; Tamron 24-70mm; Tokina 11-16mm 2.8

sponsored links
DThriller
Goldmember
1,993 posts
Gallery: 74 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2011

Feb 05, 2016 20:42 |  #2

I cant tell for sure but she seems oof. Good job on the crop. Getting rid of the stuff on the far bottom sides was a good call. I think she could use a bit more headroom. I think for the pose her lower leg would have looked better if it was obscured by her thigh.

http://www.facebook.co​m/DPhillipsStudios (external link)
http://DPhillipsStudio​s.com (external link)
@DPhillipsStudios
YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.co​m …/UCgAZ5-OKdg1YXONAjGu91zQ (external link)

PhotosGuy
75,595 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Feb 05, 2016 21:31 |  #3

What don't you like about her skin color? I looks OK to me.

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

absplastic
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by absplastic. (3 edits in all)

Feb 05, 2016 22:08 |  #4

DThriller wrote in post #17887573 (external link)
I think for the pose her lower leg would have looked better if it was obscured by her thigh.

Interesting. I just opened this thread, and the first thing I thought was kind of the opposite; I'd like to see at least a small bit of her other leg through the triangular space under her. For me, it would look weirder with both lower legs obscured, like she's standing on stumps. But really, I think it's not a natural pose. A person wouldn't pose like this, with both arms tucked in and bearing so much weight. The arm positions make it not believable as a transitional pose, i.e. it's clear she's not crawling towards the camera in a come hither way, because there is no way out of this pose but to back out of it...or face plant off the bed ;-)a

The reason you can't get a satisfying final image though, is the lighting. What little there is is super diffuse, flat ambient lighting, and the model isn't even looking towards it. The result is a photo that doesn't have any shadows to give it depth. The fact that the model has dark hair and eyes is a worst-case scenario for the lack of lighting too. Even the natural light, boudoir style photos you see and admire have careful use of what's available, usually either as dramatic backlight, or flattering light from the front by way of the model looking in the direction of a window or doorway where the light is coming from--not necessarily dead on, but also not side lighting (at least not usually for women). Also of course, many photos that look like available light often aren't.

5DSR, 6D, 16-35/4L IS, 85L II, 100L macro, Sigma 150-600C
SL1, 10-18 STM, 18-55 STM, 40 STM, 50 STM
My (mostly) Fashion and Portraiture Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link) (NSFW)

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,254 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Feb 05, 2016 22:56 |  #5

I bet she has beautiful hands.

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
21,600 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2012

Feb 05, 2016 22:57 |  #6

How about an "Old Fashioned" look.

HOSTED PHOTO

Mark

absplastic
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by absplastic.

Feb 05, 2016 23:30 |  #7

If I were dead set on making a photo like this into a keeper (no opportunity to re-shoot), I'd start with the RAW and dodge and burn the bejesus out of it, to hand contour the lighting. I just grabbed this small image and did a 5-minute sloppily-masked D&B, and this is how it looked. I'd do something like this, only it carefully over the course of a couple of hours.

In a nutshell, pull highlights wherever you can recover them, and then use dodge and burn (ideally masked level or curve adjustment layers, not necessarily the dodge and burn tools) in Photoshop to deepen shadows and brighten highlights, all with a consistent goal of respecting and accentuating what's there, not really painting new lightsources. Pulling highlight detail from the eyes and hair are of the most critical importance.

HOSTED PHOTO

5DSR, 6D, 16-35/4L IS, 85L II, 100L macro, Sigma 150-600C
SL1, 10-18 STM, 18-55 STM, 40 STM, 50 STM
My (mostly) Fashion and Portraiture Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link) (NSFW)

Bogino
THREAD ­ STARTER
477 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Feb 06, 2016 10:23 |  #8

Like this any better than the 1st one?

HOSTED PHOTO

Canon 7D Mark II; Canon 70-300mm "L"; Canon 100mm Macro; Tamron 24-70mm; Tokina 11-16mm 2.8

PhotosGuy
75,595 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2004

Feb 06, 2016 12:33 |  #9

Bogino wrote in post #17888034 (external link)
Like this any better than the 1st one?
thumbnail
Hosted photo: posted by Bogino in
./showthread.php?p=178​88034&i=i1344854
forum: Critique Corner

WAY too yellow!

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1600 pixels on any side.

texkam
"Just let me be a stupid photographer."
1,254 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Feb 06, 2016 13:13 |  #10

She looks rather disengaged in this shot. The pose has a kind of a Lili Von Shtupp feel to it.

Nortonski
603 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2013
Post edited over 2 years ago by Nortonski. (2 edits in all)

Feb 06, 2016 13:28 |  #11

I like the b&w, but as has been mentioned she seems OOF, the second shot would look better IMO in b&w. I do like what rrblint did to the 1st pic.

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,008 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 12, 2016 06:36 |  #12

Bogino wrote in post #17887532 (external link)
For some reason, I can't edit her in color to my own satisfaction. So black and white actually looks more appealing to me. The 2nd image is unedited except for sizing. I would appreciate any and all criticisms on this one as well as take your own crack at editing it. For the record I used LR5. Thank You.
thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=178​87532&i=i125263136

thumbnail
./showthread.php?p=178​87532&i=i160870273

i think what you are struggling with in the color version is the mixed lighting situation. The strong incandescent on the right vs light with a bluish tint coming from the left. Since these colors are opposites on the color wheel you end up with a grayish-blah color when they mix that is made to look worse by the strong yellow on the wall.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,008 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Feb 12, 2016 06:47 |  #13

i just did a quick edit on the original, if you would like me to show you what I did, let me know and I will post it.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

sponsored links

2,093 views & 4 likes for this thread
Go Ahead--Blast Me!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.