Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 15 Aug 2014 (Friday) 15:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Adorama Rovelight RL 600, thoughts?

absplastic
Goldmember
1,643 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Jan 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by absplastic. (2 edits in all)

Feb 03, 2016 01:57 |  #1441

I don't believe there is any known incompatibly between the Rovelight and 622 setup, as long as the Rovelight's remote controller is not hooked up to anything. PotN members have demonstrated that if you stack the Rovelight remote on top of a 622c (Canon only), you will likely lose HSS unless you tape over the firing pin on the Rovelight remote.

If you wade back through the nearly 100 pages of this thread, you'll see that there are many PotN members using 622 + Rovelight 600's and speedlite combinations with no problems. These are popular components here and this setup is common. Most people seem to be keeping the Rovelight's remote in their pocket, for changing power levels only (myself included).

There are other variables too that could be preventing things from working properly, like the camera body being set for E-TTL flash mode, or the Rovelight having its optical eye turned on and triggering off a speedlite preflash or the beginning of a speedlite's HSS strobing.

The best way to start diagnosing this issue is to simplify the whole setup to just Camera body + 622s + Rovelight--no other speedlites, remotes or anything connected or communicating. Get that working first, then start adding other pieces to the lighting setup.

5DSR, 6D, 16-35/4L IS, 85L II, 100L macro, Sigma 150-600C
SL1, 10-18 STM, 18-55 STM, 40 STM, 50 STM
My (mostly) Fashion and Portraiture Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link) (NSFW)

sponsored links
ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
7,718 posts
Gallery: 332 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2012

Feb 03, 2016 06:34 as a reply to  @ absplastic's post |  #1442

good advice.

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

dilleyo725
43 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 03, 2016 12:32 as a reply to  @ post 17883893 |  #1443

Thank you for clarifying. That makes perfect sense.

~Chris
http://www.chrischuaph​otography.com (external link)
@chrischua725

flowrider
Goldmember
3,571 posts
Gallery: 124 photos
Best ofs: 6
Joined Dec 2009

Feb 03, 2016 13:09 |  #1444

PhilF wrote in post #17883888 (external link)
It sucks...especially when you're out on a job and you have a whole line of kids waiting to get their pictures taken.

I took out the stock Rov transmitter on top of the YN622C mounted on my camera and had it on the Rov today to shoot High School Baseball teams/players portraits. My setup was with 3 lights again. The Rov as key and 2 YN600EXRT as kickers. All of them are triggered with YN622s. This time the HSS worked on the Rov. But, it was irratic. The weather kept on changing from cloudy to sunny and vice versa. As a result, I had to change my shutter speeds to compensate. I was shooting around 1/60 to 1/600. And everytime I go above sync speed I would get dark pictures. As a result, I would go under sync speed ...shoot... image appear....then go up above sync speed ...then image appear. In short, I cannot go under and over sync speed on the fly with the Rovelight.

Are you using the V2 version of the Rove remote? I do find that if things are getting flakey with the YN622's I just do a quick factory reset and they're all good again. But I do find the V1 of the 622 are needing resets more often. Wearing out perhaps? I almost never use them on speedlights at all either.

~Steve~
~ My Website-stevelowephoto.com (external link) ~ Facebook (external link)
Feedback Feedback Feedback

someone0
436 posts
Joined Jul 2014

Feb 03, 2016 17:40 |  #1445

Most people that got RL600 working in HSS via YN622c do so by connecting 622c dirrctly to RL using short cord and not stacking trigger.

PhilF
Cream of the Crop
5,737 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 03, 2016 22:13 |  #1446

flowrider wrote in post #17884493 (external link)
Are you using the V2 version of the Rove remote? I do find that if things are getting flakey with the YN622's I just do a quick factory reset and they're all good again. But I do find the V1 of the 622 are needing resets more often. Wearing out perhaps? I almost never use them on speedlights at all either.

How do you reset the YN622?

http://philfernandezph​otography.com (external link)
http://www.philfashion​photography.com (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/philfernimagery/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/philfphotography (external link)

elv
Goldmember
1,478 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 03, 2016 23:52 |  #1447

PhilF wrote in post #17885155 (external link)
How do you reset the YN622?

Just hold the Channel and Group buttons at the same time for 3 seconds or until the red indicator light stops blinking and stays red.

I reset the YN-622 like this every time I turn them on (hold the buttons as you switch them on).

I probably should do the YN-622C-TX like that as well but then you lose your last settings.

The other thing is to make sure you use good Alkaline batteries, and not rechargeable, because the higher voltage is more stable. If you're not having issues, then fine use rechargeable, but when having issues you need to rule out batteries as the possible source as well.

If they have been working fine on your speedlites though it could simply be a bad PC sync cord or connection.

FLASHHAVOC.COM (external link)

PineBomb
I have many notable flaws
2,470 posts
Gallery: 92 photos
Joined Apr 2014
Post edited over 2 years ago by PineBomb.

Feb 06, 2016 11:12 |  #1448

I received my v2 trigger a couple of days ago, and tested it with the dog using a 24" softbox. Triggered with the 622C-TX and 622C at long duration (barely). Going cordless with this much juice could get addicting. It may be overkill for a studio shoot, but that will be my next opportunity.

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1636/24736184582_f642c60947_o.jpg

-Matt
Website (external link) | flickr (external link) | instagram (external link) | street portrait project on instagram (external link)

bozwellox
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 08, 2016 05:42 as a reply to  @ post 17865210 |  #1449

Sorry to resurrect this but I just stumbled upon this and I'm glad to hear the Rovelight/Jinbei will work in HSS with the Jinbei trigger on top of the X-1C without the need for a sync cable!

Could you elaborate on the sync timing adjustment? How do you go about changing this?

Thanks!

elv
Goldmember
1,478 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 08, 2016 07:44 |  #1450

bozwellox wrote in post #17890029 (external link)
Sorry to resurrect this but I just stumbled upon this and I'm glad to hear the Rovelight/Jinbei will work in HSS with the Jinbei trigger on top of the X-1C without the need for a sync cable!

Could you elaborate on the sync timing adjustment? How do you go about changing this?

Thanks!

If you go into the custom functions (hold the Channel button), its the first C.Fn "00". You can see a little timer icon on the right of the screen at the same time.

You can set a delay from 1 to 100. And the timer icon remains on the main screen so that you know a delay time is currently set.

FLASHHAVOC.COM (external link)

bozwellox
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 08, 2016 08:09 as a reply to  @ elv's post |  #1451

Thanks, I'll give it a go!

agv8or
Goldmember
2,149 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2006
Post edited over 2 years ago by agv8or. (6 edits in all)

Feb 08, 2016 14:21 |  #1452

bozwellox wrote in post #17890029 (external link)

Thanks!

elv wrote in post #17890084 (external link)
If you go into the custom functions (hold the Channel button), its the first C.Fn "00". You can see a little timer icon on the right of the screen at the same time.

You can set a delay from 1 to 100. And the timer icon remains on the main screen so that you know a delay time is currently set.

bozwellox wrote in post #17890113 (external link)
Thanks, I'll give it a go!

Just to elaborate. The "flash sync timing" is used to delay the FP HSS sync signal, to optimize the flash exposure, when using a flash with a long flash duration rather than one that pulses the flash. When using a flash at shutter speeds at max sync or below the trigger signal is sent just after the first curtain opens where as the FP HSS trigger signal is sent just prior to the first curtain opening. The original intent of HSS (FP HSS sync) was for IGBT Speedlites/Speedlights to start pulsing their flash and remain pulsing (continuous light source) for the duration that the shutter curtains remained open. It was discovered that studio flashes, with long flash duration's, could also be used and that by adjusting when the flash was triggered you could capture the brightest part of that flash duration. Hence the flash sync timing. The issue of course is every flash has a different flash duration and that duration also changes as the flash power is changed so, some flashes work better than others and some do not work very good at all. Adjusting flash sync timing is trial and error and is subjective. With the Rovelight set to HSS, at 1/1 flash power, I would start with 15-20 flash sync timing set in the X1.

Rand

Gear

bozwellox
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Feb 09, 2016 05:40 as a reply to  @ agv8or's post |  #1453

Thanks for the explanation, and yes - from playing around last night I seemed to be getting about a stop more light when the sync timing was adjusted by 20ish. Now to test whether I get similar results with my AD360s!

PhilF
Cream of the Crop
5,737 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Feb 10, 2016 21:48 |  #1454

Rove performed well today shooting HSS with a YN622CII on a long job.

http://philfernandezph​otography.com (external link)
http://www.philfashion​photography.com (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/philfernimagery/ (external link)
https://www.facebook.c​om/philfphotography (external link)

OceanRipple*
819 posts
Joined Dec 2014

Feb 11, 2016 05:50 |  #1455

PhilF wrote in post #17893843 (external link)
Rove performed well today shooting HSS with a YN622CII on a long job.

That's good. In retrospect was there anything to learn from previous setups where you had problems?

sponsored links

384,982 views & 478 likes for this thread
Adorama Rovelight RL 600, thoughts?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.