Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 05 Feb 2016 (Friday) 01:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Bangkok lens dilemma

CorruptedPhotographer
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Feb 05, 2016 01:33 |  #1

I know.
I realize.
For a fact.

If I'm only taking one lens with me on my week-long trip to Bangkok, my 24-105 is the most logical decision.

But my affinity for my 35L ceases all logic.

What I own:
5d mkii
17-40 L
24-105 L
35L
45 pancake
135L
Sigma 150 macro

I want to be walking around bangkok with a camera & lens should shoulder.

To clarify, it's a foodie trip. I'm mainly going to eat.If a temple or historical site happen to within two food destinations, so be it.
A bit of exaggeration but my point is it's mostly casual shooting + foodie shots.

The advantage of my 35L is the enormous aperture.
Can use it day , night & indoors in low light conditions.
The advantage of the 24-105 is the versatile zoom range.

I don't intend to take my camera with me very often after the sun sets.

I know I'm better off with my 24-105 but 35 L is faster & smaller.

Gear List
Member since 2005 ^_^

sponsored links
Lupo-Lobo
Goldmember
1,103 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Nov 2013

Feb 05, 2016 01:40 |  #2

35L if it was me and a food centric journey. It will gather the light you need for the food and you can zoom with your feet for all the other shots :)

Lupo

CorruptedPhotographer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,802 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Feb 06, 2016 09:46 |  #3

thanks for your thoughts Lupo

Gear List
Member since 2005 ^_^

GibJock
Kill killer
9,671 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined May 2013
Location: From Scotland, living in Gibraltar "A Jock on the Rock"

Feb 06, 2016 11:11 |  #4

Isn't the "pancake" the best for foodie? Sorry  :p

flickr (external link)

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,885 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 06, 2016 11:13 |  #5

Why not take both?

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,095 posts
Gallery: 1549 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Feb 06, 2016 13:42 |  #6

Heya,

35L makes tons of sense for your purpose (food). You'll be in very low light and tight spaces. So wide is good and F1.4 is good. Anything too big for your field of view can be handled with a few shots and stitched together like a pano, which is a bit less trouble than trying to carry more lenses, etc.

I would actually take the 17-40 over the 24-105 if you were forced on a zoom. Tight spaces. Close proximity to subjects.

But the 35L makes sense.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

Nortonski
603 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2013

Feb 06, 2016 13:58 |  #7

35L all the way for the food shots...

neacail
Goldmember
1,188 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined Dec 2013

Feb 06, 2016 18:46 |  #8

If you love the 35L, take the 35L.

If you find something non-food related that you'd like to shoot . . . get creative. Trying looking at whatever it is in different ways. Change your perspective: crawl around, get up high. Tilt your camera at funny angles. Experiment with light and shadow. Make the 35L work.

I'm purposfully doing something similar right now . . . I go somewhere and I take a lens that is not really appropriate for where I'm going. It forces me to think differently about my subjects, as I have to use the lens I have with me if I want to create the photograph.

I think it is getting me thinking more about photography again: instead of just working on autopilot. You might find some welcome benefits if you take the 35L and work with it instead of giving up on a subject.

Shelley
Image Editing Okay

mikepj
204 posts
Joined Jan 2011

Feb 06, 2016 19:15 |  #9

I'm really curious why the restriction on a single lens as well. Seems like the 24-105 and the 35 would make a good pair.

35L will work fine 90% of the time. And something is just fun about having a single 35 prime and going with minimal gear. Bangkok is a great city, but you'll often have busy backgrounds that aren't too attractive. Having the wide aperture of the 35 would melt some of that background away.

24-105 gives you that extra flexibility like you mentioned.

17-40 would give you a nice wide angle, which is useful in the tight spaces of Bangkok (markets, etc). But I think you would miss the ability to do a street portrait at longer focal lengths. I would probably leave this one home.

24-105 and the 40mm pancake is another possible combination. Get a slightly wider aperture and about the same focal length as the 35, and it's an easy second lens to throw in the bag with the 24-105.

Either way you go, have a good trip. If you get a chance, take an evening river boat tour along the Chao Phraya. The Grand Palace and other temples are gorgeous when lit up at night. I have a Flickr album of my trip to Thailand several years ago. At the time I had a 450D with the kit lens and a nifty 50. We spent a month there in Bangkok and towns up-country:

https://www.flickr.com …/albums/7215761​6122391720 (external link)

Radiant Photography (external link) Instagram (external link) Instagram (Sports) (external link) Flickr (external link)
5D Mark IV, 7D Mark II, Rebel SL1
16-35 ƒ4L, 24-105 ƒ4L, 70-200 ƒ2.8L IS II, 100-400 ƒ4.5-5.6L, 85 ƒ1.8, 50 ƒ1.8 STM, 24mm ƒ2.8 STM

sponsored links

1,054 views & 1 like for this thread
Bangkok lens dilemma
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.